Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028642 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1200 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »
To display the rating is not at the moment compulsory. From what we were told it soon will be. And no-- there is no warning, just a knock at the door.
Thanks Bri. ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1201 on: February 04, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
What do they do when they come Nemesis?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1202 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:12 pm »
With this new system it's possible to have the cleanest Kitchen in the world with the best hygiene practices in place and still get a 1 or 2 rating, because you don't have the necessary paperwork in order. It's now a system devised and run by bureaucrats for bureaucrats and common sense has gone out the window. Luckily for me she who must be obeyed has got all our paperwork in place after many hours of hard work. Understanding and implementing H.A.C.C.P. (Hazard Analyses Critical Control Point) procedures is also now an absolute necessity if you’re in an form of control in the food business.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1203 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:04 pm »
As a self-confessed food phobic..... I am still reeling from the shock of seeing some of the places I eat very regularly getting only 1 or 2 out of five in the food hygiene inspections.  :puke2:

Some of our most respected (and expensive!!) hotels are getting only 1 or 2 out of five.   Its outrageous.  &shake&

What I want to know is, what are they doing about it?
When I have seen places get inspected in this way on TV recently, they get shut down for 28 days pending a new inspection.

I haven't noticed The Grand or St Georges getting closed down??
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1204 on: February 04, 2013, 09:19:34 pm »
I haven't noticed The Grand...getting closed down??
Who would notice the difference?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1205 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:39 am »
it's possible to have the cleanest Kitchen in the world with the best hygiene practices in place and still get a 1 or 2 rating, because you don't have the necessary paperwork in order

Sadly, this is totally true. Of course, they would pick up on subtle things, like a week-old carcass of a dead ferret lying across the worktop, but in the main it's all about how well the records are being kept. The big question, then, is whether scrupulously well-kept records will reduce the risk of food poisoning events.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1206 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:53 am »
What do they do when they come Nemesis?

Hollins -- As Blongbob says they are more interested in the huge book which has to be filled in daily. (--without being silly you could really write anything in it !.)
They ask where you obtain your food, check the fridge and freezer temps, check that you know what they should be and where different things are stored and ask you what temps. your sausages should be when prodded with a probe.
I think that the general impression as they enter your property counts-- ours sat at the kitchen table and had a coffee. He was pleased that the dog is excluded from the kitchen, I didn't mention Alice the tortoise, as she isn't in there either-- thought that might be asking for enquiry ! ;D
No, no dead ferrets lying around Ian-- not this week anyway ! :twoface:
The inspections were far more rigorous when we served evening meals, but you can understand why with  the meat and such passing through our hands. Now it is only breakfast food there isn't as much chance of cross contamination. He was keen on where our eggs came from though.
Oh and he also asked if we had food hygiene certificates-- which we have.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1207 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:44 am »
He was keen on where our eggs came from though.

Not much intelligence then if he had to ask that!!   I hope you told him!   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #1208 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:43 am »
Thanks for taking the trouble to write that answer Nemesis.  I think you, Blongb and Ian have only confirmed my suspicions that the test is more a bureaucratic one rather than a common sense one.
I had my doubts when you see the flawed system they use for star ratings on hotels where they use the amount of facilities establishments have got to grade them rather than how good they are.

Offline martin

« Reply #1209 on: February 05, 2013, 11:12:19 am »
following the posts on the subject of "Scores On The Doors"was looking at the Llandudno page and was really surprised that Caffe Nero had achieved a rather poor 3, additionally the number of retirement homes in the area that had scored a very lowly 2, must be a cause for concern.   

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1210 on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:48 pm »
   When I had a shop on the crossroads in Towyn---in the days before Asda was invented and plenty. of visitors didnt have cars. Mega busy.
   I had a soft icecream machine positioned outside on the forecourt. The health people were on a routine visit and asked to see the nearest toilet to the m/c. So I took them through the shop, up the stairs and into the toilet on the landing.
   They were not particularly happy, mainly because of the distance between icecream m/c and toilet. So, I did mention, a bit tonge in cheek, that actually the nearest toilets were the public ones right opposite, only a matter of yards away. Their answer was "Oh, no, they are definitely not up to the standard you need." Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1211 on: February 05, 2013, 12:59:54 pm »
Since being mortified by what the weighing scales told me on New Years Day, I have been eating less, eating healthier.....
Getting down the gym more often too.
Also, thanks to Forum member JACK, I have been out cycling.  Yes, he lent my a bike and I have been terrorising the roads of the Three Towns over the last 2 weeks.  $00$
Anyway, to celebrate getting half a stone off, last night I decided I deserved a treat.

That smoothly brings me back onto topic, as we set off excitedly for Fish and Chips to the excellent Archway fisheries in Bangor Road,Conwy.
The place is utterly spotless, and the menu quite extensive.... the service is very attentive too, as you can choose to eat in the restaurant area.

Haddock, chips, mushy peas....curry sauce of the chinese variety.... tea, bread and butter.  £7.75 the lot.
The quality on offer is really very good. It is no surprise that it was relatively busy at 6pm on a Monday evening.

Just perfect, and you know what?   I don't even feel guilty!  $dins$

Also, as we walked through Conwy, we encountered the delightful Pendragon...(Hi Angie X)
In fact, come to think of it, I have never been to Conwy without bumping in to Pendragon!  $walesflag$

Anyway,  Archway Fish and Chips,  hard to beat..... and I'll be back when I reach another weight-loss milestone.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1212 on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »
I'll second that Fester, lovely food in nice surroundings and pleasant staff what more could you ask for and to top it all I get OAP rates,  D)

If you keep going there you're going to have to peddle faster to keep that tum from returning!     *cycle*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1213 on: February 05, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »
I had a nice lunch in the Orient Express in Llandudno today and have always had an enjoyable meal there.   My cousin Pat was there and I've seen her there a few times so we've both got good taste.
I was a bit shocked though when she said that her brother Norman08 was an Everton supporter :o  but still nobody's perfect!    &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1214 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:35 pm »
ha ha we are perfect ,i was leaving work today and also chatted to a cousin  doreen she was saying barry has done a family tree very interesting as well .looks like livrpool only won 4 european cups lol