Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242180 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2016, 10:43:21 pm »
I had the same type of call a few weeks ago only the caller was "representing" Windows. I decided to play along with him for a while, played stupid and put on a show of apparent co-operation until I dumfounded him by saying I couldn't open Windows. He tried his best to help explain how I should do it by which time he must have been convinced his luck was in with this simpleton.
That's when I dropped the news that I have an Apple Mac and that he was a worthless maggot who should go and dig himself a hole, climb in and have it filled in with him in it. Didn't swear once either which surprised me.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago but the cheeky sod said 'Oh, we do Macs too!'  I did swear, quite a lot actually!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2016, 08:23:18 am »
The Co-op has recently re-launched its Co-op card scheme, and it's being heavily promoted in-store. Sadly the scammers have already moved in with a very legitimate-appearing email that contains links to 'reset your account'.  The links don't resolve to anywhere known.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #287 on: October 09, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
I have seen these vans around Llandudno, using the "local hotel is selling them after ordering too many" ploy,
please be wary.

Councils are warning people not to buy mattresses from door-to-door sellers.
The Local Government Association - which represents councils in England and Wales - said some "scam traders" were selling dirty mattresses that had been thrown away.
Others were importing them without the proper safety certificates. The mattresses are then repackaged - often in branded wrapping.
Some sellers pretend a local hotel is selling them after ordering too many.
Councils across England have dealt with mis-sold mattresses:

Simon Blackburn, the chairman of the LGA's safer and stronger communities board, said: "These fly-by-night sellers don't care about the risks these mattresses pose, they just want to make a quick buck and leave you with phoney details so they can't be traced.
"These mattresses may be described as memory foam but are carefully wrapped so you have no idea what you are buying.
"They generally fail fire safety tests and are often worn-out, dirty and unhygienic items destined for the tip.
"Anyone offered a cheap mattress on their doorstep should not buy one."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37579587

Offline peterh

« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
Hi all. I have just received a text to my mobile with the following message:-

Following our previous correspondence this is confirmation of the repossession of your property tomorrow Saturday 5th November 2015. Attending at 08:30 am.

Whilst I am not worried about this I was wondering if anyone has seen this before. It can only be they have got the wrong mobile number as they are not asking for anything, but I can see for some people it could well be very worrying.

Text was from +44 1392 984037 and if Googled this number shows no ref to scams etc.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »
I looked it up on "who called me" and these are the results.

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/01392984037

Offline peterh

« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
Thank you Hollins so kind these people are just scum. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Peterh

Offline Dave

« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »
Just received an email with the heading below  from pay@pal.com

Upldate Your Account Securite

As if you would with spelling like that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #292 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:07 am »
The phone rang earlier and my wife picked it up as she was expecting a friend to phone.    When she picked it up there was silence for a short while and then a female voice just said goodbye and hung up.
I then phoned the number back   01143 3601005 and again there was silence before what sounded like an automated voice said goodbye and hung up.

01143 is a Sheffield number but  Google did not recognise the full number of 011433601005

Some type of scan but any ideas why?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2016, 09:44:18 am »
Rogue traders could take advantage of residents who suffer storm damage, a neighbourhood watch group is warning.
They are advising anyone who comes across anyone suspicious to contact North Wales Police on 101 with a description of the rogue traders and their vehicle.
The alert said: “Due to the severe windy and blustery weather conditions, residents may notice an increase in trader’s cold calling and/or leafleting for work. We would therefore like to remind residents to be especially careful if they need remedial work doing on their homes such as gutters, drainpipes and roof tiles may have been damaged by the heavy winds and garden jobs.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-weather-rogue-traders-12210525

Offline SteveH

« Reply #294 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »
This via Tom Davidsons blog........
The Internet hoax, centred around fake Aldi vouchers, is currently circulating on social media sites and is said to con unwary users into handing over their personal details.

The social media post tempts unwitting users with free coupons worth up to £85.

In each of the fake vouchers, fraudsters claim that shoppers can use the vouchers in Aldi, which has stores in Llandudno , Old Colwyn , Rhyl , Bangor , Prestatyn , Llangefni and Flint .
More...... http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/aldi-customers-north-wales-warned-12319446

Offline Hugo

« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »
Thanks for posting that Steve, it's good to make people aware of this type of scam especially at this time of the year.      $good$

I've had loads of them from various businesses but they all get deleted straight away.

Offline Dave

« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2016, 08:18:06 pm »
ASDA CAR PARK SCAM       
Asda car park. Please BE WARNED! Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.  Simply dropping into Asda's
supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends!   Here's how the scam works:   
    Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts.  When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Tesco. You
agree and they both get in the back seat. On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked.Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!         
 I had my wallet stolen on October 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th 20th, 24th and 29th. Also on November 1st, 4th, 6th, 9th and 10th and twice yesterday. So please warn all
the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.  The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.     
 P.S.  Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for £1.99 each but Lidl wallets are £1.75 and look better!! 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
 _))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2017, 09:40:51 am »
Today 00:40

Norfolk Trading Standards have just released a warning on two new cold-calling scams purporting to come from BT. In the first the caller states that telephone bills have not been paid, or the last direct debit has failed, and they then request immediate payment by credit or debit card. In the second. the caller states that an account is in credit which they are wishing to refund and they then request debit card details in order to process the refund.

Offline hollins

« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2017, 03:53:46 pm »
My mum has just had a nasty scam come up on her computer. Fortunately she is staying with us at present.
She was on her facebook page when a pop up came on purporting to be from Microsoft and saying that the computed had been infected and to call this number 0800 086 9834 for help to sort it out..
The only way out was to force a shut down of the computer which I did immediately.
I put the number into "Who called me" and lo and behold it is a nasty scam.
So lucky I was with her to intervene. Some sad people out there, beware!

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/08000869834