Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242201 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:56 am »
Indeed, and the main issue that lets the scammers down is their lamentable use of English. But they're definitely getting better and nastier and these 'drive-by' infections are next to impossible to defend against.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:08:49 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2016, 11:08:04 am »
I received an e-mail today from a friend who lives abroad and he often sends me e-mails with a link to a video.   It seemed genuine and was written in a style similar to his, so I had no reason to believe that it was from anyone else.
Before I opened it however, I checked the e-mail address and it wasn't my friends so I didn't open the link.

These saddos seem to be getting better at sending scams so it's always best to check every thing before opening up the e-mail

Offline Hugo

« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »
I received an e-mail today from a friend who lives abroad and he often sends me e-mails with a link to a video.   It seemed genuine and was written in a style similar to his, so I had no reason to believe that it was from anyone else.
Before I opened it however, I checked the e-mail address and it wasn't my friends so I didn't open the link.

These saddos seem to be getting better at sending scams so it's always best to check every thing before opening up the e-mail

I've just had an e-mail back from my friend in Spain and he confirmed that he did send it.    No harm done then, but if in doubt then check it out would seem to be the safest option

Offline Hugo

« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »
Another scam I received today was supposedly from HM Revenue & Customs which went on to say what is shown below and a link was attached for me to click on:-     I hope that no one is taken in by such an obvious scam

Our records show that you are eligible for a tax refund of:
£469.00

Please fill in the form before 29-07-2016.
The fastest and easiest way to get your refund is a direct deposit to your credit card/savings account

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:53 pm »
Advisory notice.
We have been made aware of a social media scam offering free tickets to Alton Towers Resort that is currently circulating on Facebook. This is NOT an official offer or affiliated to Alton Towers Resort in any way. Whilst action is taken to remove the scam, we would strongly advise against sharing your details or the post.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2016, 11:25:51 am »
Phone scam by callers posing as HMRC

The scam works with a robotic voice telling the victim that he or she owes HMRC money and to press one to speak to a case worker.

“We suspect that once you press one you’re charged,” a spokesman for Mr Elmore said.

He added: “HMRC would never contact anyone by telephone unless it was requested.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/victims-left-tears-over-phone-11867539

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2016, 11:42:01 am »
And the world continues to get nastier.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
And the world continues to get nastier.

Are we going back to medieval behaviours Ian?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
Not sure we've ever moved beyond them, sadly.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2016, 05:06:17 pm »
I think there has been several pretences Ian, but usually after major wars when the population is either shocked or needs to work better together to rebuild.
At times of economic downturn, the world does indeed tend to turn nasty.
It's all about resources, the lack of them and the perception that someone else has them!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2016, 09:13:54 am »
I've had trouble with one of my e-mail addresses this last week and a couple of days ago I received a telephone call supposedly from Talk Talk.    The caller had a very heavy Asian accent and said that someone had hacked into Talk Talk and they were intent on creating damage which was much worse than any virus could do.
He said that he would help me to sort out the problem and to put my computer on and we would work our way through it to sort out the problem.
I asked him again why had he phoned me and he repeated what he had already said.
I told him that I was not in Talk Talk and this seemed to confuse him and he hesitated before saying that BT  and Virgin are members of Talk Talk.
I had already sussed out the scam before he said that, so I just put the phone down on him.   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #281 on: October 01, 2016, 10:33:46 am »
I received the same call this week, as you did I put the phone down, but a few choice words just before hanging up  $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #282 on: October 01, 2016, 11:53:19 am »
I received the same call this week, as you did I put the phone down, but a few choice words just before hanging up  $angry$

Good on you Steve     $good$         The sad thing is that some people may have been taken in with the scam, but the unusual thing when it happened to me was that a phone number was left on my caller display phone but I never tried to phone the number  back.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2016, 12:53:28 pm »
I've just had a chat with my friend Tellytubby and he's aware of that scam too.    Apparently he has some facility that gives him an automatic notification from the Police when these type of scams are going round.
His comments on the scam though are unprintable!         ;D

Offline Dave

« Reply #284 on: October 01, 2016, 03:51:43 pm »
I had the same type of call a few weeks ago only the caller was "representing" Windows. I decided to play along with him for a while, played stupid and put on a show of apparent co-operation until I dumfounded him by saying I couldn't open Windows. He tried his best to help explain how I should do it by which time he must have been convinced his luck was in with this simpleton.
That's when I dropped the news that I have an Apple Mac and that he was a worthless maggot who should go and dig himself a hole, climb in and have it filled in with him in it. Didn't swear once either which surprised me.