Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664358 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6600 on: August 24, 2015, 03:26:35 pm »
I had no idea about this place when I owned a Camper van, I had to make do with my parents' drive which was nearer to the centre of things without having to drive off site

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6601 on: August 24, 2015, 03:37:48 pm »
Interesting idea... Anyone with a large enough drive living reasonably central to Llandudno could make a few pennies renting the drive out :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6603 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »
I always thought there would be problems with Travelodge parking!

Couldn't they have had an underground car park?     :twoface:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6604 on: August 24, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
 _))*

Perhaps a compromise would be to designate certain zones as 'motorhome-friendly' and charge a fee by length of vehicle. The stretch across the front of Bodafon fields could be used and the toilets could be left open and manned 24/7 for the six week period. It would have to be costed, but if it appeared feasible then angled parking bays could be created and I would estimate you'd be able to get in about 20 motorhomes. That's about £200 per night, which would pay for the toilet attendant and still leave something for the council. Maybe that's too obvious and I've missed something?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6605 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:00 pm »
I always thought there would be problems with Travelodge parking!

Couldn't they have had an underground car park?     :twoface:

Now that is talking sense ! Unlike the planners .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6606 on: August 24, 2015, 06:17:23 pm »
Perhaps a compromise would be to designate certain zones as 'motorhome-friendly' and charge a fee by length of vehicle. The stretch across the front of Bodafon fields could be used and the toilets could be left open and manned 24/7 for the six week period. It would have to be costed, but if it appeared feasible then angled parking bays could be created and I would estimate you'd be able to get in about 20 motorhomes. That's about £200 per night, which would pay for the toilet attendant and still leave something for the council. Maybe that's too obvious and I've missed something?
Exactly my thoughts.........They are after all tourists to the area, and it is no loss to the hotels as they would'nt use them anyway, also if there was a dedicated area then they would have no excuse for street parking.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6607 on: August 24, 2015, 07:13:32 pm »
The problem we have,like the outdoor market argument is we have a lot of hotels to fill and if motorhomes are encouraged then Mr and Mrs Smith who own a motorhome in Manchester but sometimes like to stay in Llandudno may just bring the motorhome instead,i like the idea of a onenight stay park so if people are touring North Wales then there is a one night welcome .The outdoor market on the station land was refused on grounds of taking trade away from local shops,bring thousands in on a Sunday but at what cost .

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6608 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:51 pm »

The stretch opposite Bodafon Fields would be the worst place for something like this.  The paddling pool is incredibly popular with families, probably because there are so few family friendly attractions in the area, so parking is already a nightmare during the summer holidays without encouraging motorhome owners to hog all the spaces at that end of the prom.  That would be the final nail in the coffin if it happened.  In fact my wife recently tried to take the kids to the pool but the parking was so difficult she gave up and went to the pool in Rhos instead.  If parking is made any worse in Craig-y-Don we just wouldn't even bother trying and we'd go straight to Rhos or Penmaenmawr instead along with all the other families.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6609 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:09 pm »
If parking is made any worse in Craig-y-Don we just wouldn't even bother trying and we'd go straight to Rhos or Penmaenmawr instead along with all the other families.

I suspect the problem is that no one wants anything that would impact on them, so what's the solution? During the peak season there are no spaces to be had anywhere.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6610 on: August 25, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »
If parking is made any worse in Craig-y-Don we just wouldn't even bother trying and we'd go straight to Rhos or Penmaenmawr instead along with all the other families.
I suspect the problem is that no one wants anything that would impact on them, so what's the solution? During the peak season there are no spaces to be had anywhere.
Is there a possibility of using Bodafon Field for these peak periods?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6611 on: August 26, 2015, 10:55:05 am »
The stretch opposite Bodafon Fields would be the worst place for something like this.  The paddling pool is incredibly popular with families, probably because there are so few family friendly attractions in the area, so parking is already a nightmare during the summer holidays without encouraging motorhome owners to hog all the spaces at that end of the prom.  That would be the final nail in the coffin if it happened.  In fact my wife recently tried to take the kids to the pool but the parking was so difficult she gave up and went to the pool in Rhos instead.  If parking is made any worse in Craig-y-Don we just wouldn't even bother trying and we'd go straight to Rhos or Penmaenmawr instead along with all the other families.
I agree. The sight of 20 motorhomes parked along the Prom would hardly enhance the look of the area either.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #6612 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:04 pm »
Parking is an ongoing problem which seriously damages the reputation and revenue generating capability's of the town. In my opinion their are only two possible solutions to the problem.

1. Park and ride car parks at the entrance to the town. Not my favorite solution because it would not be popular with shoppers.

2. Dig the Promenade up from one end to the other and put in underground parking which would be able to accommodate thousands of cars.

A bonus with the second option is, a new sea wall could be incorporated at the same time and we would be able to remove all those b****y stones from the beach.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6613 on: August 26, 2015, 04:55:49 pm »
POLL: Hotel owners join forces in campaign for better parking in Llandudno

A GROUP of disgruntled hotel owners are launching a campaign for better parking provision in Llandudno.
With the town more popular than ever with tourists and the recent addition of a number of large hotels, hoteliers are concerned the lack of parking facilities are causing visitors to turn away from the resort.
After receiving complaints from numerous guests, a number of hotel owners have joined forces to try and persuade Conwy County Council to improve parking options in the area.

One of the group, Ann Blanchard, owner of the Oasis Hotel on Nevill Crescent, said: “The whole situation is getting beyond a joke now and something needs to be done.
“I have recently had an incident where a family has cancelled their stay after finding nowhere to park, and I know that this has happened to plenty of hotels in the area.
“The council saw fit to grant planning permission for an 80-room Travelodge with no car park, which has only made matters worse for hotel owners, residents and tourists.”

The group will be writing to Conwy Council requesting a review of the current parking provision in the town.
Mrs Blanchard, who has been running the Oasis for 15 years, added: “The council has talked about looking into the matter but nothing seems to get done.”

Cllr Ronnie Hughes, deputy leader at Conwy council, said: “We are always reviewing the situation but you are never going to please everyone and I fear that is a problem that may not ever get sorted.
“The best solution would be a park and ride system, but if that was introduced there would be no guarantee that people using the hotels would use it and we have already made a lot of concessions in terms of parking allowance for hotels.”
POLL...http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/151951/poll-hotel-owners-join-forces-in-campaign-for-better-parking-in-llandudno.aspx

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6614 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:13 am »
Bodafon fields would make a great campsite, all they would have to do is build a reasonable shower block, a site office and various amenities, measure out some pitches, bit of landscaping etc. This would be preferable to developing the site into something more permanent and more of an eyesore!