Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2659448 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1635 on: September 23, 2011, 11:57:01 am »
Lynda Bellingham has a column in Yours magazine.  This week she says:-
"I felt as if I'd stepped back into the good old days when I arrived in the Welsh seaside resort of Llandudno on the 'Calendar Girls' tour.  My first visit, I soon discovered it has all the genteel charm of an English town of 50 years ago.  delighted with the service I received buying two new pairs of shoes - staff used shoe horns to fit them - I sent jan Harvey and Rula lenska there."

Tolsd you it's God's waiting room, Llandudno I mean not the shoe shop.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1636 on: September 23, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »
I soon discovered it has all the genteel charm of an English town of 50 years ago.
She obviously didn't meet Bugsy on her stroll around town...  8)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1638 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
The Cambrian rally hasent been around the Orme for the last 3 or 4 years. Did they charge in the past? They certainly dont in the forest stages, all you MIGHT have had to pay would be a quid or two to some local farmers field to park.
 If the other rally think they can get away with charging, I'll give out a few directions up to a local golf course, hire of good glasses, and an aerial view.  How about a quid a time and I'll give the commentary!!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1639 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »
Lynda Bellingham has a column in Yours magazine.  This week she says:-
"I felt as if I'd stepped back into the good old days when I arrived in the Welsh seaside resort of Llandudno on the 'Calendar Girls' tour.  My first visit, I soon discovered it has all the genteel charm of an English town of 50 years ago.  delighted with the service I received buying two new pairs of shoes - staff used shoe horns to fit them - I sent jan Harvey and Rula lenska there."

Tolsd you it's God's waiting room, Llandudno I mean not the shoe shop.

I saw Lynda Bellingham, and Mrs Fester saw Rula Lenska later that day.
I have to say, without all that 'Loose Women' airbrush make-up, she looked about 400 years old.
Rula was croaking away and having a fag down Church Walks.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1640 on: September 23, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »
Wales Rally GB : Great Orme Stage http://bit.ly/oCHAuL

[youtube]Matt Edwards Great Orme on the Cambrian Rally 2006[/youtube]

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1641 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:23 am »
My first thought was " Where are the buses going to go?"

So... what exactly IS the scale of the disruption Llandudno residents face this next few days?
Is Gloddaeth closed from the roundabout to West Shore?
If so, can Upper Mostyn St still be accessed, as I have heard that the Promenade/North Parade will also be blocked off.

Comment on Oscar this morning from a Gloddaeth resident, the race has
 been going on all night with clapping and cheering, he saw a man , as he puts it, having a wee on the central reservation.
I can hear the commentary here-- and I don't live on Gloddaeth and as for trade to the town, it hasn't brought us or any of our friends anything ! People aren't going to sleep anywhere if they are running all night, and they won't sleep during the day for the noise !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1642 on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:08 pm »
We have just returned from watching the climax of the 24 hour race won by an English lass, Lizzie Hawkins who ran about 150 miles in that time.

Unbelievable !!  :o

We also spoke to a few locals we know from Gloddaeth Avenue and they were highly complimentary of the organisation and did not hear any of the noise being referred to.

There are plenty of portable loos so the other comment sounds strange.

We were also down there last night when the commentary was switched off before 7pm until this morning.

We also spoke to one of the competitors from Canada after the race.

She was a lovely lady and fully appreciative of all the locals who turned out to cheer everyone towards the end of the 24 hour race.

She also told us she had already visited the Greta Orme on Thursday and had been on the Ffestiniog Railway so it is quite obvious there are definitely many benefits to our local community.

The event is being recorded for television transmission on S4C and Channel 4 over the coming weeks so could turn out to be a good advert for our town.

Anybody who did not pop down to Gloddaeth Avenue or outside Venue Cymru last night for the elite mile and 5K races missed a treat of an event.

It is such a shame there was not enough positive publicity before the event.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1643 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:26 pm »
Oscar strikes again !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1644 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
It seems I did not quite hear the correct name of the young lady who won but never mind here is a report of the race:

John Pares wins men's ultra marathon in Llandudno

Flintshire runner John Pares has won the men's Commonwealth Ultra Marathon 24-hour road race in Llandudno, Conwy.

Pares, who runs with Buckley Running Club, struck gold after covering 150 miles (241km), improving on his third place at the last championship in 2009.

The overall winner was England's Lizzy Hawker, two laps ahead of Pares.

She set a world best performance for a woman, also breaking the British and Commonwealth 100 mile (161km) record and becoming the world record holder.

The contest, taking place in north Wales until Sunday, is the second Commonwealth Mountain and Ultradistance Running Championships.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1645 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:16 am »
 :)Looked very busy yesterday and with the Honda Goldwing show next weekend it looks like it will be another busy one and lets remember that is what THE TOWN WAS BUILT FOR,ATTRACTING VISITORS. Z**

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1646 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »
Oscar strikes again !

..and again.  8)

Despite one of the more vocal members of the Forum's threat to drive down Gloddaeth Avenue yesterday there really was no need for them to get their knickers in a twist.
There was access both sides of the road for the residents of Gloddaeth Avenue, and sure enough according to a few in the know the eevnt  brought hundreds of people into the town, many of them staying in hotels.
Most will have spent in some shops and cafes and will have helped the town far more than it will have hindered anybody.
Unless I have missed something there really was no problem with the event, what was nemesis on about?
They don't even live on Gloddaeth Avenue, perhaps they were miffed because they are so far off the tourist track they are always the the last to benefit from any influx into town.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1647 on: September 25, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
I think congratulations is needed to the organisers for a well planned event

$good$

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #1648 on: September 25, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »
Have you any suggestions, wrex, as to how and where to watch the Wales Rally GB around the Great Orme in November?

The organisers are charging spectators a hefty £20 per person plus another £5 to park their car up on the Great Orme.

I was really looking forward to this, but there is no way I would pay £45 to see it (2 of us plus parking)

The Cambrian Rally will run twice around the Marine Drive on the afternoon of October 8th and it's an opportunity see top British competitors. The rally starts on the prom by the cenotaph at 8am, with leading contenders starting between 9am and 10am.
Wales Rally GB is the British round of the World Rally Championship. I will attract many thousands of spectators and the viewing charge will hopefully ensure the numbers on  Orme aren't excessive. This is by far the biggest event ever to come to Llandudno.
 TV coverage will be shown worldwide and the town couldn't afford that sort of publicity.
More info on the Cambrian rally on www.cambrianrally.co.uk

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1649 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:16 pm »

'It will attract many thousands of spectators and the viewing charge will hopefully ensure the numbers on  Orme aren't excessive.'

end quote

yes I think £20 each should reduce the numbers! :roll:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas