Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 373812 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1230 on: February 25, 2021, 05:09:38 pm »
Yes I agree Robbie it's just a shame ccbc and their experts don't listen to people in the know, the guys that have worked the waters for years, but they will never admit they are wrong 😢😡

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1231 on: February 25, 2021, 08:01:00 pm »
Norman,  I was speaking to a very experienced RNLI member last year and he said that the sand level on the shore had dropped in certain parts and this ironically was the reason why they did the sea defence in 1993.   
I would be more inclined to believe the RNLI  expert than a committee made up mainly of nodding donkeys

As an aside the FOWS  went to a lot of trouble planting flowers on that grass island at the junction of Abbey Road and the Promenade but the last time I went past a while ago it looked like there was a sand dune starting there and it was over 12 inches high.
When will CCBC or the Councillors listen?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1232 on: February 25, 2021, 09:42:33 pm »
Hugo the height of that island must be 12 inch + higher in 12 months, I noticed much more sand outside them houses by abbey place today.  And around where the rabbit statue used to be is our new Sandhills, they just won't listen they are just happy to waste money every year clearing the sand, did it used to happen before they messed about,    No,    We walked the new path the other day by the golf course why they didn't put the path up there in the beginning the hundred thousands £ s they would have saved over the years 😡😡

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1233 on: February 27, 2021, 02:20:42 pm »
 $sunny$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1234 on: March 12, 2021, 11:13:35 am »
The web cam at the West Shore Cafe seems to have been affected again by the recent gales and I'm sure that the sand problems by the boating lake will have worsened over the last few days.     
Today there is a strong wind forecast for all day so I don't think that many people will be driving to the car park for the start of their exercise walk.       Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the new "stay local" instructions and hoping that they will allow me to drive to a local area to start a walk

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1235 on: March 12, 2021, 07:17:43 pm »
Hugo we were down westshore this morning, the sand round Gt ormes rd abbey rd is back, the other week our useless council cleared the sand by the pond Yes it's all back and more, them 2 high& mighty councilors love wasting Our money. 😡

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1236 on: March 13, 2021, 11:07:46 am »
Hugo we were down westshore this morning, the sand round Gt ormes rd abbey rd is back, the other week our useless council cleared the sand by the pond Yes it's all back and more, them 2 high& mighty councilors love wasting Our money. 😡

Drove on there deliberately this morning when I had fetched my paper. The sand in places is waist deep and the pond, which is empty, is rapidly filling up with the stuff. I pity those who live opposite, they must never be rid of it.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1237 on: March 13, 2021, 12:28:45 pm »

Drove on there deliberately this morning when I had fetched my paper. The sand in places is waist deep and the pond, which is empty, is rapidly filling up with the stuff. I pity those who live opposite, they must never be rid of it.

It's time the Council stood up and take responsibility for what they have created on the West Shore.    I may go on about the problem but I and Norman my cousin grew up in Llandudno and know exactly what the West Shore was like prior to 1993.     I don't make any apologies either if I repost photos of the West Shore,  it's just to remind people who may be unaware of how it once was. 

Another thing that they should addressed too is the issue with the Goats, it's all very well people taking photos of the Goats wandering through town ( me included ) but there is a serious side to it all.   In addition to the untold damage done to people's private gardens there is also the factor for the Goats well being.     There is obviously not enough food for them on the Great Orme like Blongb has said, but someone or somebody must be responsible for their welfare and also the damage inflicted.
It's time the Councillors sorted these issues out properly 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1238 on: March 13, 2021, 02:18:50 pm »
Posted by: Hugo
« on: Today at 12:28:45 PM »Insert Quote
Another thing that they should addressed too is the issue with the Goats, it's all very well people taking photos of the Goats wandering through town ( me included ) but there is a serious side to it all.   In addition to the untold damage done to people's private gardens there is also the factor for the Goats well being.     There is obviously not enough food for them on the Great Orme like Blongb has said, but someone or somebody must be responsible for their welfare and also the damage inflicted.
It's time the Councillors sorted these issues out properly

I have mentioned before that there needs to be a conservation plan in place, contraception, and in this case reducing the numbers by re-homing, unfortunately animals left to there own devices, without intervention end up suffering.

The National Trust in the early 2000's allowed one of their deer herds to expand to 200 in number, on land capable of holding only 70 in good condition, they then contracted Bovine TB and the herd was reduced in size to 70, however after fighting the disease for over 10 years and losing, the rest of the herd had to be culled, https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dyrham-park/features/high-level-of-bovine-tuberculosis-found-in-dyrham-deer-very-sadly-results-in-cull-of-entire-herd--- 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1239 on: March 13, 2021, 02:32:32 pm »
Something needs to happen before one or more are killed. Damage aside, and we have had sufficient, to gardens, walls, hedges and trees, some of the drivers around go so fast that I cringe. Only this morning I was picking up some windblown rubbish from the garden path when 2 cars shot past so fast that there was a positive whoosh !Imagine if some of our 'cute' and I hate that word, goats had decided to stroll out from behind a parked car to cross over to another tasty hedge. The very idea makes me shudder. :( :( :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1240 on: March 13, 2021, 05:08:31 pm »
A well known animal lover introduced deer onto an island off the Llyn Peninsula probably with good intentions but there wasn't enough vegetation to sustain a healthy herd of animals
As a result the RSPCA  became involved,  I can't remember the outcome of their investigation but the Deer were removed from the island.

As a matter of interest it would be interesting to know who owns the Goats.      Lord Mostyn put them there and Mostyn Estates still owns the land although it is now a Country Park run by CCBC

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1241 on: March 13, 2021, 05:44:32 pm »
That's the problem, nobody will accept responsibility for the animals, not Mostyn's nor the council, below was a reply received by someone on FB, which if taken at face value, whatever land they are on, they are responsible, although looking for an answer to the problem, this could backfire on a member of the general public.

"Spoken to 2 people in council and the Park Rangers were also involved. I was told that, as they are feral, there is nothing at all they can do AND WHILST THEY ARE IN MY GARDEN I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR WELL BEING!! Even though they all accepted that, when the goats jump over my gate to get out, the goats could land on a person, toddler or in front of a moving vehicle causing serious personal injury, there is still nothing they can do!"

PS  They have a new member, below !      and their own FB page !   Llandudno goats

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1242 on: March 13, 2021, 10:10:46 pm »
Goats are kept for their wool, milk or meat. they should not be kept to look pretty unless they are in a zoo. So who's in favour of opening a new curry shop, that also sells cheese and woolly jumpers as a side line?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2021, 09:35:13 am »
I had my second vaccine at the Venue Cymru yesterday and everything went like clockwork.      It was the first time in about two months since I have been to Llandudno because of the Stay Home rules of lockdown so I made the most of it and had a drive to the West Shore

The situation with the sand is bad and getting worse,  I didn't see any Goats there but did expect to see some Camels instead.    Walking around near the lake area I noticed the road sign for Abbey Place and it looked well pitted by the westerly wind that prevails in that area.
One strange site was a digger working in the grounds of the former Penmorfa Hotel, could work be starting there after 13 years?

One other thing that I did notice was that you would never know that there still is a lockdown in Wales.    Hundreds of cars and people were on the West Parade with numerous motorhomes parked there too.    Let's hope that we don't all pay the price for their actions

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2021, 02:11:26 pm »
Hugo it looks like that digger & those men on the former Penmorfa Hotel site could have been collecting information, such as soil samples for the start of various reports needed for the planning application to build. Also needed will be archaeology, biodiversity, ecology & many more such as safeguarding local geological & wildlife habitats. I will keep an eye out for any planning application that may go in, as I know it's something that's of interest to you.