Author Topic: Yre Rofft / Yre Roffl and Y Pentre Rhinleding  (Read 46868 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Yre Rofft / Yre Roffl and Y Pentre Rhinleding
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »
Thanks Cambrian for all that info.  When I looked at the O/S map of 1889 the property we believe to be Pentre was a small T shaped building with a well and a small parcel of land attached.   It was called Pentre Shimdda Hir but was probably called that because it was owned by the family who owned Shimdda Hir across the road.   If there was more than one household living  there then they should all appear in later Census records.
Where is Pensarn? Is it on the road from Pydew down to Pen Y Bont?
I spoke to one of those volunteers who last cleared the Cemetery 30 years ago and he said that the local Councillors had been approached to do something but haven't and it's a shame to see it now.  The Burial Records at the Archives have been done from the Headstones that are there so I need to check exactly where the grave is before I go in there again as otherwise it's an impossible task.

Offline jom

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2012, 07:33:50 am »
If you look on the Google map for Glanwydden at the T junction where the Queens Head Restaurant is, turn right down Waun Road then first left at Ffordd Wiga and down the lane on the right before the houses is Ainon Cemetery. You'll see the metal gate and kissing gate at the entrance.

Yep .. Got it ... Cheers, hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:28 am »
If you look on the Google map for Glanwydden at the T junction where the Queens Head Restaurant is, turn right down Waun Road then first left at Ffordd Wiga and down the lane on the right before the houses is Ainon Cemetery. You'll see the metal gate and kissing gate at the entrance.

Yep .. Got it ... Cheers, hugo

If you look beyond the gates in the photo there is a long corrider of grass that opens on to a lawned area.  On the right on the lawned area are the most recent graves but on the left are the oldest graves that are in the overgrown area.  A complete contrast.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2012, 11:41:21 am »
Pensarn is the area round where Richard Williams Builders Merchants is now. The name derives from the "sarn" or causeway which ran from Glan Conwy Corner to roughly where Pabo Lane starts. The house opposite the Black Cat is called "Sarn y Mynach".

Offline Hugo

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, that's interesting, I've never heard of Sarn Y Mynach ( causeway of the Monk) before, but there must be some significance to have that name.
You obviously know a lot about that area but do you know where Twll Llwynog and Ty Cefn are as Maes is between the two properties?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 07:02:02 pm »
Hugo - I have been pondering this again and wonder if the name has been consistent down the years.  The reason I raise this is that in the 1939 Street Directory, for Seguryn Side, there is listed Maes y Glas which seems to have been a dairy farm of sorts.  In the 19222 one again for Segyrun Side, there is Tyn y Maes. This was situated between two properties then called Pen Dyffryn and The Hermitage. So it seems reasonable given the literal translation of Tyn y Maes that this could be the one.

I am sorry I have no info about Ty Cefn but the other one does appear in the schedule for the Llangwstennin Enclosure Award - owned by Thomas Peers Williams.  Unfortunately the schedule seems a bit hap-hazard in the order which properties are shown and I don't think it can be relied upon in the same way as the Census Return.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, I'm quite intrigued now and can't wait to find out.  I hope to get the answer when I next visit the Archives but it's doing my head in about Garth Because I've actually visited the place but can't remember where it is!      ???

Offline jom

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:06 am »
If you look beyond the gates in the photo there is a long corrider of grass that opens on to a lawned area.  On the right on the lawned area are the most recent graves but on the left are the oldest graves that are in the overgrown area.  A complete contrast.
[/quote]
Cor ... quite a difference!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:33 am »
Garth is the farm below the quarry opposite Mochdre

Offline Hugo

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
Thanks Dwsi,   I've been there before and had a walk through the quarry fairly recently but couldn't place where it was.    $good$

Offline granddad

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »
Re Capel Einon cemetery photographs I assume you are aware of microfiche M89, Capel Einon Cemetery, Llangystennin published by Gwynedd Family History Society. This provides provides an indexed  set of the memorial inscriptions and a location diagram. With this, and the loss of some blood , I was able to uncover an ancestors gravestone in the 'jungle'several years ago.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:17 pm »
There is a paper based version in the Conwy Archives and it has the location and inscriptions of each grave and until I can see that, I'm not going back in there until I know where the grave is and even then I'll don my protective clothes

Offline jom

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27:18 am »
I think I can shed some light on this.  Ken Dibble records that Pentre Ucha Farm was also known as Pentre or Pentre Rhiw. It was a holding of around 12 acres. By 1808 it was tenanted by Robert Hughes. There may have been more than one actual dwelling there as at least two other households feature.  Robert and Margaret Hughes had three children - Elizabeth (b 1791 d 1813 buried at Llanrhos), Robert (b 1796), and Sarah (b 1805).  Sarah married Hugh Jones a miner from Llandudno on 18th October 1837. Robert and Margaret took over the tenancy of Adwy Rhydd and Robert junior remained at Pentre Uchaf and took over the tenacy from his father. It looks as if this is the same family so hopefully this will fill in a few gaps. I think the property was opposite Simmda Hir and probably disappeared when the road was built.

VERY many thanks Cambrian.  Your photocopies arrived today safe and well.  I have had a glance through and noted that it also gives the death / burial dates for Hugh and Sarah JONES as well as more detail on Sarah's siblings.  Very helpful indeed. 

Interestingly I noted that Hugh and Sarah JONES went to stay at Bryn Ifan with Hugh and Gaynor OWENS whilst Adwy Rhydd was undergoing some apparent renovations about 1860.  They also seemed to have taken in Sarah's wodowed sister in law Ann HUGHES and Ann's daughter Margaret.

If you look back at Hugh and Sarah's marriage certificate you may notice that witnesses were a Gaynor EDWARDS (?the same Gaynor) and John HUGHES (Presumably Sarah's brother).  This is all quite exciting and providing lots of new avenues for investigation

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2012, 10:23:56 am »
Just for you info Jom,  Bryn Ifan is the building on pg1 (img 4099)  it is on the right behind the trams.  Adwy Rhydd was a little lower down that road where it forks on to Bodafon Road

Offline Hugo

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2012, 06:23:30 pm »
Jom, I was back in the Archives today and looked again in the Burial Index for Capel Ainon.   I don't know how I missed it the first time round but Hugh and Sarah's grave is clearly listed there.  Sorry about that.
Anyway, I had a look at some maps and then went home for my protective gear and headed for the Cemetery.
The grave plot is A045 and is in the fourth row in,  and the  3rd from the right. What I do is make a note of the graves nearby (like the Census) so that I have the correct one.
Anyway to cut a long story short I found their grave and enclose photos before and after I found it.    The grave is like a vault built on a course of about 3 bricks and the large headstone is laid flat on top of it.  The headstone is very well preserved and the writing on it is very clear.   I did clean it as best as I could but I'm sorry but I didn't take any water and cloth to do a better job.
The inscription on the headstone is as follows:-
Er serchog gof
Am Hugh Jones Adwyrudd
Hunodd yn yr Iesu Ionawr 14 1877 yn 71 oed
Also
Sarah, wife of the above said
Hugh Jones
who died Sept 28 1880 aged 75 years

The English translation for the first part is :-     
In affectionate memory
of Hugh Jones  Adwyrudd
Asleep in Jesus January 14 1877 aged 71.