Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028562 times)

Offline Tillymint

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2775 on: June 19, 2015, 05:55:10 pm »
The property you are referring to on Lower Gate St, Conwy was purchased, refurbed and sold by a different former pub Landlord in Conwy.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2776 on: June 19, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »
Here's what the Post have got on the Liverpool Arms closure: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-quay-pub-closed-after-9492772
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Tillymint

« Reply #2777 on: June 19, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »
There is no news like someone else's bad news is there? &shake&

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2778 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:30 pm »
Obviously it is sad news, both for the couple who I believe have lost their home and for the town which, for the time being, has lost a business.

However it's a prominent pub ahead of what is anticipated to be a very busy weekend.

Rest assured every effort has been made to contact the couple to put their side of the story across.

I think the Daily Post would have been remiss to ignore the story altogether. It was a real shock to many in the town and our job is to inform on matters of public interest, which I think this falls under.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2779 on: June 19, 2015, 11:14:03 pm »
The property you are referring to on Lower Gate St, Conwy was purchased, refurbed and sold by a different former pub Landlord in Conwy.

They were colleagues in the venture Tillymint.
I'm not wrong about this by the way, but it is intensely sad..... it could happen to any one of us.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tillymint

« Reply #2780 on: June 20, 2015, 01:08:37 am »
I am sorry Fester but you are wrong, they were not colleagues at all. One was a former Landlord at the George and Dragon in Conwy ..... this was the gent involved in the refurb of the property on Lower Gate St.

The other gent was the Landlord of the LA until 18th June 2015.

The ONLY other connection is that they share the same surname, with no family history involved.

As far as I am aware one pub was with Punch and the other was with Enterprise, with no financial connection at all.

One of these is a long standing friend of 18 years.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2781 on: June 20, 2015, 09:02:07 am »
Incredibly sad - and both poignant and worrying.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2782 on: June 20, 2015, 03:13:25 pm »
I am sorry Fester but you are wrong, they were not colleagues at all. One was a former Landlord at the George and Dragon in Conwy ..... this was the gent involved in the refurb of the property on Lower Gate St.

The ONLY other connection is that they share the same surname, with no family history involved.

As far as I am aware one pub was with Punch and the other was with Enterprise, with no financial connection at all.

Tillymint, aren't we saying the same thing?
'the other gent was the Landlord of the LA until 18th June 2015....'    (i.e just the other day??)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2783 on: June 22, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »

Tillymint, aren't we saying the same thing?
'the other gent was the Landlord of the LA until 18th June 2015....'    (i.e just the other day??)

Unless he means Los Angeles  Z** ZXZ

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2784 on: June 22, 2015, 12:55:39 pm »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2785 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.

"The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally"

Two of those have only just opened! They don't show anything. I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Come back in a year and we'll see if they are still doing well. My guess is that in the winter they will be deserted.
Where as a 'dive' as you put it, will have a steady stream of local customers all year round. Just like the Malt loaf and mail coach do  that have been open years.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2786 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:35 am »
A new lease has been agreed for the former Mr Bs Bistro in Upper Mostyn Street.

Sadly fallen through so back on the market.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2787 on: June 26, 2015, 09:36:48 am »
I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Sad lack of juggling and magic shops, locally.   :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2788 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:02 am »
I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Sad lack of juggling and magic shops, locally.   :)

Janet Haworth AM................would be interested.....  :twoface:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2789 on: June 27, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
Nice pizza in Snooze bar last night,very busy and nice to see ,then ended up in Cooneys what a contrast,but that is always good,you know what you are getting and Cooneys was busy.