Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028731 times)

SteveH and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2580 on: February 01, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »
I am pleased to be able to say that 'Love to Eat' (the old Badgers) is delightful; nice modern 'shabby chic' bright and airy décor, pleasant staff, good service and some really excellent home made cakes that are actually baked on the premises. The Bakewell is superb.

Highly recommended. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2581 on: February 01, 2015, 04:25:20 pm »
We had a meal in the Seahorse last night, Don's cooking is as great as ever. The crispy duck in plum sauce was fantastic.  $good$  $good$  $good$

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2582 on: February 01, 2015, 05:34:34 pm »
Thanks for the information on 'Love to Eat' Bosun, Bakewell is my favourite so next time we are in Llandudno will be giving it a visit. ;D

We have had a rather nice meal at the Inglenook cafe and Mr M agrees with you Dave they serve an excellent, reasonably priced breakfast. I'm very tempted to try something off the Polish menu has anyone tried anything? 

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: What would YOU like to see developed?
« Reply #2583 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »
The town is in desperate need of large volume of Car Parking spaces at reasonable cost.  ^*^0

More good standard and clean Public Conveniences are required.   {}{}

The current Sea Defences need to be removed and replaced with a more sympathetic scheme.   $booboo$

All of the above could be achieved by putting in underground Parking under the promenade.  *&(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2584 on: February 02, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »
born2run we need you to go around Llandudno and explain what the local pubs are doing wrong,i must admit i like the Snowdon,the Cottage Loaf,Gresham,Queen Vic and the Albert,not sure what the Sun inn is like you must explain.

Not entirely the pub's fault they have to deal with Devilspoons on the doorstep taking away the custom.
20/30 people in spoons and the place seems dead because of the vastness of the place, put those people in Gresham or the Vic and the place looks lively.

But simply put, the pubs in OC rely on local customers and so treat them well and put things on for them - Red Lion for example has darts, pool, a jukebox, selection of real ales and they put all the football channels on the telly. The Marine regularly has band nights as does the Sun Inn.
Most pubs in Llandudno couldn't give a toss about local custom and choose to rely on tourists instead and I'll give you a prime example, the Carlton stick a pool table up in the Winter then take it away as soon as the summer season hits they remove it to cram in some more dinner tables for the visitors.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #2585 on: February 02, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »
Wetherspoon's Bangor has a sign offering 2 dinners for £20 on Valentine's night for the more tight fisted !

Seahorse is fantastic but if Don is off it can be a different story alas.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2586 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:14 pm »
Wetherspoon's Bangor has a sign offering 2 dinners for £20 on Valentine's night for the more tight fisted !

Seahorse is fantastic but if Don is off it can be a different story alas.

Mr T, all Wetherspoons are doing that offer.... see The Palladium in Llandudno.

Also, I have to say, regarding the Seahorse.....  the majority of the time when I go, it is not Don who is the head Chef on that night.  There is another regular head chef at The Seahorse, (who's name escapes me), but he is superb in all respects.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #2587 on: February 02, 2015, 09:22:25 pm »
Parking below the waterline at high tide.......have you forgotten 1993?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2588 on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:34 am »
As far as I know the 1993 flood had nothing to do with the level of the sea at the time

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2589 on: February 03, 2015, 08:45:13 am »
Not a viable plan as the costs would be prohibitive.

.The difference in cost between underground and decked parking is huge. Decked parking costs roughly £8,000-£10,000 per space to build. Underground parking costs anything between £18,000-£30,000 per space, depending on ground conditions, contamination issues and the water table.

The above is for an inland situation, now multiply it by two or even three, to account for it being a tidal sea front situation!

_))* _))* _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #2590 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:33 am »
Agree about Don, maybe the night we went was just one of those things that happen.
About time we went again in any case.
Jai Ho Indian is very nice by the way, a little on the expensive side, we mean to try Asia sometime.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2591 on: February 03, 2015, 11:58:03 am »
The car park in Gloddaeth could be either excavated or sympathetically built on to form more car parking spaces at surely far less expense ? It certainly couldn't look any more modern than the new block of flats next to it .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2592 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
Agree about Don, maybe the night we went was just one of those things that happen.
About time we went again in any case.
Jai Ho Indian is very nice by the way, a little on the expensive side, we mean to try Asia sometime.

The Asia is really excellent, only the decor lets it down... but the prices and cuisine make up for that.
Looking forward to trying Jai Ho.  $dins$ $dins$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #2593 on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:36 pm »
Not sure when you last went in the Asia, Fester? But they have given it a fresh lick of paint and new lights etc. They have also changed the menu so there are a few more new 'specials' - it is still very good.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2594 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:36 pm »
Yes Fester ,and i helped lick it ha