Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028833 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Tips
« Reply #2550 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:21 pm »
There isn't a personal service as such in a supermarket though, even less with self service check outs.

I was in Home Bargains in Colwyn Bay yesterday and the cashier was having a very loud chat with the other cashier two tills away!
she scanned my items broke from her convo  to say "£6.80" and that was it! went back to conversing with the other 'employee' Didn't say another word, no please, thank you, nothing.

On the wages they earn B2R?   I'm amazed they didn't roll out the red carpet for you, scatter it with rose petals... and have your limo brought round to the door!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Tips
« Reply #2551 on: January 23, 2015, 04:41:33 pm »
You shouldn't need to be on high wages to know how to say please and thank you Fester  :o

People should still take pride in whatever job they do and do it to there utmost ability. No excuse for rudeness or laziness.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
What would YOU like to see developed?
« Reply #2552 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »
This is a thread for members to throw ideas in for new businesses, or anything they would like to see that would benefit this area in terms of employment, tourism or recreation.

We all moan about things closing down, or there being too many coffee shops, charity shops etc.... so being more positive, what would YOU like to see?
Fester...

Online snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: What would YOU like to see developed?
« Reply #2553 on: January 24, 2015, 12:04:43 am »
can you start the ball rolling with your thoughts of how things could improve.?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2554 on: January 24, 2015, 08:26:40 am »
I think a reintroduction of the trams would be an enormous asset to the place. Instead of being routed through Mostyn Street, however, I'd route them along the prom.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #2555 on: January 24, 2015, 09:20:34 am »
More use made of the pier, day trips to IOM and Anglesey etc.

The problem is where do the boats come from??? 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2556 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:31 am »
can you start the ball rolling with your thoughts of how things could improve.?

Yes Bri,  I would LOVE to see one or two decent class wine bars in Llandudno.   Having spent time in Chester, Leeds and Manchester recently, there were fantastic cocktail bars such as The Alchemist and The Botanist, plus a whole host of privately owned ones in every town.
I would like to see one in Llandudno, and another at West Shore.
Just imagine, The Sundowner's bar at West Shore, where you can have sit on the balcony watching the sunset over the estuary, over a bottle of wine.   It would have to be pretty big.... because it would be PACKED.
Fester...

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2557 on: January 24, 2015, 11:30:22 am »
Agree with that one Fester. I would also like to be able to eat a meal with super fresh fish and seafood looking out on to a view like the West Shore one. Seahorse type food without the dodgy decor please!

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #2558 on: January 24, 2015, 12:44:06 pm »
The cafes and bars at the end of the pier and top of the Orme are currently poor.  These are unique locations on a global scale, and surely there should be scope for something much better. I don't know who owns them or why they don't improve them.

The West Shore is crying out for improvement. The current cafe is a bit disappointing. I would not want to see amusement arcades, but I think there is great scope to promote water sports, cycling and general beach going. It is a complete mystery to me why the Llandudno does not market itself as the resort with two beaches, or why there is such an outcry about the North shore when we have a great sandy beach less than half a mile away.

The Grand Hotel needs to tidied up, externally. I would suggest this is more important than developing the old Pavilion site as the hotel is a real eye-sore and in such a prominent location, whilst the hole in the ground is far less visible.

There must be scope to use the current coach park behind Parc Llandudno better.  It is empty most of the time.  Equally, a park and ride scheme would be great for Llandudno, certainly at certain times.

I am sure more could be made of the paddling pool at Craig y Don. Perhaps this will happen when the lifeboat station is built.

I think the Premier Inn, along with the planned restaurants is going to make a positive contribution. It will certainly shake things up a bit. I can see some businesses losing out, but they will be the ones that have not been making the effort over recent years.

Trams would be a great feature, but I am not sure they would be much practical use unless they linked Llandudno with Colwyn Bay.  Given the cost I can't see them happening any time soon. 

Personally, I am not sure that boats using the pier would have much impact, and can't help feeling the £200k grant that was spent on the facility could have been better spent elsewhere. But I will be very happy to be proven wrong on that one.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #2559 on: January 24, 2015, 08:10:39 pm »
The coach park is used all the time dropping of and picking up day trippers but are not allowed to stay there all day so go and park elsewhere - I don't think it a aste of space

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2560 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:38 pm »
I'd like to see the Pier tidied up and the lighting fixed. If I remember correctly there used to be lights strung all the way down both sides and maybe even across to central lamp posts which have all been taken away. It can be extremely dark at nights and really needs to be sorted out. Some of the lights look as though they are ready to topple into the sea!

The road train should be extended to run to/from the Craig Y Don paddling pool, up to the Pier entrance and then out to the West Shore.

All the ironwork outside the shops should be tidied up and reinstated as necessary plus glass roofing made mandatory to let the light through. Some shops have just filled it all in which makes for a very inconsistent and dull appearance.

The trams up the Orme should run into the evenings with sympathetic lighting installed in them if necessary.

Oh, and don't get me started about the sheer neglect of Halfre Gardens...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2561 on: January 25, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll keep on saying it.... Llandudno desperately needs a family leisure facility of some kind on the Pier Pavilion Site.
Some kind of Steel and Glass structure, designed sympathetically to how the Pavilion used to look, and incorporating bars, soft play areas, eateries, etc.....  (that list is endless)
Fester...

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2562 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:04 am »
Sad to see The Plough in Old Colwyn has closed. It never really took off after the extensive renovations more than six months ago.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #2563 on: January 26, 2015, 10:59:59 am »
We never visited the pub, I take it that the pub has closed?
Always sad to a closure, especially after an big investment has been made.
It all goes to show that it's still tough out there for a business to flourish.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2564 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:36 am »
Sad to see The Plough in Old Colwyn has closed. It never really took off after the extensive renovations more than six months ago.

That's a shame, I went early on and they had blaring dance music in there, not the sort of place for that.
Pubs in OC are very good, much better than Llandudno