Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029116 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1035 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:44 am »
Must pop in there this afternoon.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1036 on: September 10, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »
No Dave, they are selling BOOKS for £1, .... not coffee!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1037 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »
Someone may have to remind me of the LAW on this subject, but I have to make a point on the subject of children in pubs.

Basically, tonight in one of Llandudno's best venues, Dave R and I were trying to enjoy a meal.

The venue we were in is in the upper-bracket when it comes to charging, so in effect you are also paying for the atmosphere.

However, even up to 9.15pm, there was a large family with children and a very tiny new baby, getting served on an adjacent table.  Admittedly the family had been there since before 6pm, (which to me is an issue in itself)  &shake&
The baby was restless, and basically screamed the place down throughout the time we were eating our meal.

Call me an old misery if you like, but I just don't think its right that children, never mind babies, should be in pubs at those times.
The meal, despite the incessant wailing, was excellent by the way!
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1038 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »
I do agree with Fester on this one, I don't want to pay top dollar for food/drink and have to listen to a baby screaming whilst I'm eating. Why would anyone bring a tiny baby into a pub or bar and keep them there until that time of evening anyway? I was in Caffe Nero earlier and there was a kid screaming the place down there too - it's supposed be an upmarket coffee shop where people go to relax.  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1039 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:53 am »
I'm not at all sure pubs are the right place for young children, and a continuously screaming baby suggests that some action needed to be taken by the mother, or whoever was caring for the child. Most parents of very young children and babies are aware of the effect of screaming and shouting offspring on other people. and usually take steps to minimise the problem.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1040 on: September 13, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
I agree with you there Ian, the trouble today ( sounding old!) is that some mothers think that their children can do no wrong. This is well illustrated by their attitude to their offspring in shops. They are either riffling through the goods or talking on their phones whilst the kids run riot.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1041 on: September 14, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »
This topic reminds me of a trip we took to York 26 years ago. In the evening I went to a very nice restaurant for a meal with my wife and very young son who woke up just as the meal arrived. We spent the next hour taking it in turn to stand outside the restaurant so as not to spoil other diners evening. Then came the realisation that things had changed and with young children you have to amend your lifestyle.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #1042 on: September 15, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »
Firstly Children of any age are allowed in pubs up until the time imposed in the way of a restriction on their license by the local licensing Authority.
Children can also drink Ale Cider and Porter on the condition that they have not been served it themselves and that it is consumed with a bone fide meal. Normally consumed via an implement IE Knife and Fork. Or maybe chop sticks depending on their culture.
Some local licensing authorities may differ from others depending upon their social attitudes. But in this area the authority may prefer children to be in a pub up until a certain time as long as they are accompanied by a parent or responsible person.
One of the 4 licensing objectives is the safety of children and keeping children from harm.
Children must not purchase alcohol nor are you allowed to purchase alcohol for a child in a pub unless to be included with a genuine meal and then the type of drink is restricted. nor are you allowed to sell alcohol to someone who is knowingly going to pass the alcohol. (to a person under 18)
Basically the licence  must operate their business within the parameters of the Licensing act and also within the restrictions imposed by the local Licensing Authority.
But if the children are noisy, screaming or upset then they should consider that the child is disturbing others  which is not good for business.
The final argument is this. if a child is noisy through enjoyment , that is one thing. but if a child is making a noisy as a result of their objection to being subjected to an alcohol environment then does that break the law. don't forget the 4 licensing objectives one of which is the safety and welfare of children.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1043 on: September 15, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
It is quite common to see a "Father and son" in a pub  L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1044 on: September 15, 2012, 05:52:38 pm »
Good info, Cat, you know your stuff.  $good$  ;)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1045 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »
I see the American Disaster Restaurant is still nowhere near opening - they have missed the entire Summer season. Why didn't they just open without the alcohol licence and get the benefit of the Summer trade? Interestingly, I believe the American Disaster's owner also owns Cafe Express in Llandudno.

There is finally a notice on a pole on the pavement near to the restaurant referring to planning permission.

No doubt, DaveR, will know how to find the application reference number 0/39194.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1046 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:58 pm »
I poked my nose into the American Diner doorway today.
It looks like its only a few days away from being ready to open.
But, at this time of year, will it be busy enough to get through to next years peak season?

I'll be giving it a try.
Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1047 on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »
I'll be giving it a try.

I'm with you on this one Fester, I'll try it first and then decide if it was worth the effort.   ZXZ
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1048 on: September 21, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »
I do hope somebody invests in a new young pub soon,the town is looseing its appeal for youngsters who are turning to Bangor for their nites out,we know its a university city and its easier to attract your Yates winebars but if nobody invests in Llandudno  soon i thinks the days of people coming in for a nite out at the weekend could be numbered.The old folk on the council will not have a clue what i am on about,are only hope is for the Clarence or the Tudno Castle to incorperate one.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1049 on: September 23, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
I was in the rugby club last night and there were five young ladies on the next table and they where all off to Bangor for the night ,to a new bar that was opening,as i said in my last post Llandudno has now lost out to the younger people of the town as nobody wants to invest in the nitelife of Llandudno,i know there will be a lot of people saying thank god but this is not good for the economy of our town.