Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242229 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:40 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »
What is PHS?  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2015, 06:46:06 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »
Never heard of them before?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2016, 10:58:35 pm »
I was having a meal with some friends today and stood up to get my wallet out of my back pocket when one of my friends made a remark that I found difficult to believe at first.
He said that a lot of men carry their wallets in their back pockets but now it is possible for people to go closely behind them and by using scanners can extract the bank details from the person's cards which are contained within the wallet.   It seemed far fetched to me but he then said that nowadays people are having wallets fitted with a metal lining as this was the only way they could ensure that the cards in their wallets were not been scanned.
Just to prove it to me he pulled out his wallet and showed me the metal lining inside of it.    Is nothing safe nowadays?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:41 am »
Not quite true, Hugo. It essentially refers to NFC cards (active swipe to pay) and it's easy to fool them if you carry two cards.  It's been demonstrated under laboratory conditions that the RFID signal emitted can be read as long as the reading device is no further than 5 cm away and so long as it's the only card you carry, so they have to contact you to do it. Even then, it's very hard to do, so I wouldn't be unduly alarmed. The makers of foil-lined wallets are doing well, and I suspect they also have a line in tin foil hats...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:28 am »
The makers of foil-lined wallets are doing well, and I suspect they also have a line in tin foil hats...

They make no money from me, I make my own tin foil hats!  D)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:30 am »
Thanks for all that info Ian, but it's still frightening to think that modern technology is so advanced that that type of thing could happen.   My friend who is from Australia did say that there had to be close contact with the victim and that type of contact  does happen especially in big cities.
It wasn't that long ago that people who were drawing money from cash machines in Manchester were targeted by crooks.   After the money was drawn out the crooks would have close contact with the victim and would put a chalk mark on that victim's shoulder.      An accomplice of the crook would be waiting and the victim would be mugged and the cash stolen.
This new technology just means that the victim can be mugged in a different way

Offline DVT

« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2016, 09:29:12 am »
Couple of days ago had a phone call from Talktalk - or so the Asian gentleman named "David" told me.  Before he started his spiel I said I wanted to talk to him as there are sometimes problems with incoming e-mails - any that are form talktalk address won't come in - this temds to happen mid or late morning.  If I just stop the send/receive then the messages will come in later - some have taken a few days.

Anyway, he said he would look into it for me and send me a new router, but first wanted me to press the Windows button on my keyboard, which I did.  That brought up another window to login a code, which he gave me.  Then asked me to confirm something so I refused as I was getting very suspicious.

I asked him to prove he was from talktalk - he knew my name, address and post code, and obviously my phone number.  I said I was not going to continue further without proof.  He told me to get one of the latest talktalk bills and confirm the account number.  I took some time finding one and he was getting rather impatient.

Having found a bill he asked me for the account number.  No, I said, you tell me - and he was able to give me the account number, although I said it wasn't correct.  After more dialogue trying to persuade me to continue, he hung up - obviously upset at having wasted about 20 minutes of his life.

His phone number was shown on my phone - so I googled it (01773 STD code) and it came up with a name and address in Witney, Oxfordshire.  I googled the post code and the address was a private house in the middle of a very large housing estate.  I googled the name of the person and that came up with a different phone number (0870 code) so could have been a business number.

I then rang talktalk, using the number that was on the bill for customer enquiries.  They had no record of anyone ringing me and were grateful for all the info I gave them about the alleged caller (phone number, name, address) and the woman there said she would pass it on to their fraud department.

The first guy sounded really genuine other than he gave his name as David - my name is David but I don't think I'd get away with calling myself by an Asian name!  Getting my name, address and phone number would be relatively easy - but how did he get my talktalk account number?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2016, 10:05:17 am »
DVT, the lady on the news who lost £15k said her scam began just like that.
They are eventually after your bank details, through some confidence trick where they are pretending to credit your account.
Don't forget, it was TalkTalk who were hacked last year, and lots of customer information was stolen.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:35 pm »
  It seemed far fetched to me but he then said that nowadays people are having wallets fitted with a metal lining as this was the only way they could ensure that the cards in their wallets were not been scanned.
Just to prove it to me he pulled out his wallet and showed me the metal lining inside of it.    Is nothing safe nowadays?

Hi Hugo, Last week I was in the Neighbour Hood watch shop, Market St. llandudno  and was offered a "Card Minder" for 50p

on the basis of better safe etc. I got one.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »
I don't blame you Steve as it's better to be safe than sorry.       Your investment of 50p may save you a lot more than that in the long run.
To be honest I had never heard of that scam before but it does make you think what's next.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2016, 10:46:39 am »
I received another scam this morning and this is just an extraxt from it

Open your M&S Complimentary Prizes

Last March 14, we informed you that you were selected as a potential winner.
So far, we have still not received your confirmation. Arent you interested anymore?

Note: Unclaimed prizes will be re-distributed on 04/31/2016

It looks like I wouldn't have had a prize anyway!         :(

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:01 pm »
If you had used the link Hugo the most likely outcome would end up with all your data being encrypted and a fee demanded to get it back. Well done you for not falling for it.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2016, 11:10:46 pm »
Just had another scam supposedly from Amazon saying that my password was entered incorrectly three times and my account has been suspended and to restore access please click here and a link was added.
I just delete rubbish like that as I know that they are scams