Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242246 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »
I use Gmail and I never receive emails like those mentioned in this thread; they all get diverted into the Spam folder so I never even see them.

www.gmail.com

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »
Someone posing as Fedex are sending out E- Mails asking for details so that they can deliver something to you.

We had 7 the same this morning.

I got the same thing, but from Royal Mail Group....with superb logos and graphics...a very clever scam, telling me that there was a parcel trapped needing information prior to delivery.
For someone like me, who sends and receives parcels via RMG, and at Xmas time especially, this is a very intelligent and believable scam.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
Just what I thought when the first one came, as I am in the middle of dealing with sending a box to the family for Christmas.
Having waited all day 8am to 8pm for Parcels2 go to collect the parcel as promised I have now sacked them and contacted another firm.
Probably end up with even more spam mails.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:13 pm »
Look out for scam telephone calls informing you "I am calling you from Windows your windows based computer system is infected". It's a very old scam but because the U.S. has just turned up the heat against the Companies based in India who are behind this fraudulent practice, they have now turned their attention to the U.K.  We have received 3 calls in the last 2 days. :rage:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »
Just what I thought when the first one came, as I am in the middle of dealing with sending a box to the family for Christmas.
Having waited all day 8am to 8pm for Parcels2 go to collect the parcel as promised I have now sacked them and contacted another firm.
Probably end up with even more spam mails.

I also waited for P2G to collect a parcel and the chap finally arrived at 9.30 p.m.  What a useless organisation it is   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:15 pm »
We have used collect + website a few times for eBay stuff. You go to website pay on line with PayPal or credit card. They generate you a label to print off and stick to the parcel. Take it down to Londis on Gloddaeth street,  hand it in and off it goes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2013, 10:48:03 am »
I used Interparcel eventually, suited me better as the collection window was shorter ( morning or afternoon). The young man arrived, very pleasant person, we had attatched our print off label, so off he went. This was Friday, just after lunch and the parcel arrived on Monday, just after lunch. You can also track the parcel which I did.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #172 on: December 26, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
One of the usual, unannounced, regular scams.

Daily Express has increased its price by 5 pence to 55p.  M :rage:
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2014, 05:08:12 pm »
Look out for scam telephone calls informing you "I am calling you from Windows your windows based computer system is infected". It's a very old scam but because the U.S. has just turned up the heat against the Companies based in India who are behind this fraudulent practice, they have now turned their attention to the U.K.  We have received 3 calls in the last 2 days. :rage:

I was by the telephone today when it rang and answered it in English even though the caller display said "international"    I should have known better as it was a heavily accented Asian on the line teling me the same story as Blongb had.  After he had his say, I just said that I didn't have a computer and just hung up.  Next time I look at the caller display and it says "international" then I'll deal with it differently.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
Yes me too yesterday - I also told them I did not have a computer!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2014, 06:36:33 am »
YOU WILL NEVER GO TOO HEAVEN LOL

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
 ;D Maybe not Wrex. I usually tell them that we are registered with the Telephone Preference Service (and we are), but that doesn't seem to stop the 'foreigners'.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »
Try talking Welsh to them, Stan.  $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »

I have a Nuisance Call Blocker on the home phone which is pre programmed with many known outfits.  As you receive others one press of the button and that number is put into memory and also blocked.  The calls do not come through so you are not disturbed.

On my mobile I put the calls into memory under the Heading Nuisance.  When it rings if it comes up as Nuisance I switch the call off, or if I want a good laugh, I will answer the call and keep them talking and answering daft questions for as long as I wish to be amused. 

_))*
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »

Apologies - my Welsh is a bit limited.