Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242197 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:03 am »
My latest

Due to your non response to our email about your delayed money which you are supposed to have received, Mr. Frank Bierhoff is here to officially claim your money total Two Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars, he claims to have your legal backing and support to do so because he claimed you are bed ridden in the hospital and you have few days left to live.

He is ready to complete the legal process and fulfill the necessary obligations required to effect the immediate release of your money. He has been held right away for verification purpose, for us to know if this claims are real. Since the money belongs to you we have to write you to let you know about these, your failure to respond back to this email certifies that what he is saying is true.

Get back to me or text me for further inquiry : +13015315426

Thank You.
Mr. Scott McCoy

I wonder how long I will have to wait for my money   ;)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:40 pm »
Blongb wrote, "I wonder how long I will have to wait for my money?" 

Why don't you phone up and ask?    :D   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
Scott is obviously not the real McCoy....  :laugh:

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:07 pm »
I received an e-mail warning from a colleague today about changing your energy supplier:-

The purpose of my email is to let you know about something that is either a scam or sharp practice that has happened to us this week.

We have had a flood of telephone calls from energy companies about our gas and electric
One yesterday purported to be from Eon our existing supplier. The man (from the Asian sounding call centre) said that our tariffs would be going up from the 1st October because our consumption had fallen by 11% this year. I pointed out that we were on a fixed contract and the price couldn't be altered.
 He replied that that the term of the contract was fixed but the rates offered depended on our supply levels and that if we dropped below a certain level then they could impose an increase in the rate charged. He then told me what the new rates would be.

A few minutes after the call ended we started getting calls from all different energy companies offering us cheap deals if we said yes there and then. They are most persistent and trying to pressure you all the time

This morning I have spoken to "Valerie" the lady who I actually negotiated our contract renewal with at Eon. She confirmed that my contract was fixed for twelve months and couldn't be altered.
She informed me that the phone calls were either a scam to get my bank details or more likely an energy broker who will use any means whatsoever to get enough details to enable him to change our supplier and thereby earn a commission.

She seemed to suggest that this is a major problem to all energy companies.

She told me that Eon had a safeguard that we could enable on our account. We could put a password onto our account and that would be displayed on the computer screen of our account within their systems. Whenever anyone ring and says they are from Eon we can ask what the password is and if they are genuine they will be able to tell us the password.

We set up a password on both accounts and within an hour we had the first call allegedly from Eon. My first question was "what is the password?" and as bold as brass she spelt out the name of our hotel. Unfortunately for her it was the wrong answer but I have to say it was a good guess and for many people it could have been right- the name of the business

I hope I have enlightened you and you will be cautious,

They are very clever, The original premise that our consumption had fallen was a clever ploy that we would all struggle to prove or disprove. They listen very carefully to any information you give them. eg We answer the phone "Lansdowne, Bob speaking" all calls from them ask for Mr Bob or Mrs Margaret. Make sure you don't give any information away.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Linda

« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:41 pm »
Talking of Energy companies Scottish Power is my topic.  Three years ago my elderly mother had new meters installed. She is still on two meters ,one for regular daytime and one for her off peak night storage heaters. Recently my sister and i have been dealing with her bills etc and couldnt get our heads around how high her bills were. We at first began to think as my mother is getting increasingly forgetful and suffers sleepless nights, she was leaving too many appliances on immersion, electric fires etc. So we didnt question it immediately .It was when there was a fault with the timing clock switching over to daylight hours, we had an engineer over and whilst he was working on the fault, i asked him to confirm for me which meter was which as i had suspicions the charges per meter were a bit odd. He told me which was which and i said that it didnt tally with her bills. So he and i did a quick reckon up and he said to me that he thought my mother had been overcharged by quite a lot of money. I thanked him and was so glad we had picked up on it i gave him 20quid to buy a drink, it wasnt much but i am so glad i did.
My sister and i have pestered Scottish power to have this checked, at first I was told the engineer didnt know what he was talking about,
ha! by a person just sitting in the call centre. She was quite rude to me. Now we have finally got it sorted and my mother has overpaid her electric for 3 years and they are refunding £1600.00. She is 85 and hasnt a clue how to work these things out. I wonder how many other folk has this happened too and could still be overpaying because of a mistake (ie for us the original engineer who changed the meters over three years ago)If my mother had moved or gone in a home, she or we wouldnt have known and that money would have been lost.
So im just warning others to check or get someone to do it for you if you have separate meters and separate tariffs. I also thank again the young man who dealt with the fault where ever he is.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:28 am »
She is 85 and hasnt a clue how to work these things out. I wonder how many other folk has this happened too and could still be overpaying because of a mistake

Many years ago MANWEB installed a 'brand new' meter for us, which they told us they had to do every so many years. Trouble was, they assumed the meter started from zero, but I'd checked when it was installed, and it already read 900 kw hours on the dial.  Sure enough, the first bill included the charge, which I obviously contested. But many older folk - as Linda points out - are unable to do this for themselves. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:27 am »
Not a Scam but just a word of caution.

Recently I had a repeat prescription made up by a local Pharmacy.  The medication required me to take three 850 mg tablets a day with meals.  A total of 84 every 28 days.   These normally came in one pack of 56 and the balance in a plain pack.

On this occasion the pack contained 84 tablets and I though, "at last they are packaging to suit the normal usage".   However, some days later I discovered that despite the label with my details and dosage being correct, the pack indicated that the tablet strength was only 500 mg.   So for a period of time I was under dosing by 1050 mg each day.

The packaging had the signature of both the Pharmacist and the person who checked the item.  From now on I will rigorously check each item on my prescription is correct, and would urge others to be just as cautious.    :(

The wrong strength is one thing, but an incorrect tablet could be fatal.   :o
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »
Terrible.

Have you ever handed in a prescription at a chemists, waited a while only to be given part of your prescription and a ticket to return tomorrow to collect the balance and, hopefully, if it has arrived by then?

Can you imagine asking somewhere else for fish, chips and mushy peas and being told to return tomorrow for your fish?

Offline Linda

« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
Terrible.

Have you ever handed in a prescription at a chemists, waited a while only to be given part of your prescription and a ticket to return tomorrow to collect the balance and, hopefully, if it has arrived by then?

Can you imagine asking somewhere else for fish, chips and mushy peas and being told to return tomorrow for your fish?
_))*  yes that happens to me so often,  part pescriptions that is  :) not fish, then i forget to collect the odd couple of tablets then wonder why iv run out . Also have been given out of date medicine. I had a written apology , though i could well imagine how my OH and i would have been dealt with when we were in catering  if we had served out of date food  :o.. Yes Yorkie it pays to double check i do now before i leave the pharmacy.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2013, 12:43:14 am »

The wrong strength is one thing, but an incorrect tablet could be fatal.   :o

Or in the case of a contraceptive pill, the opposite of fatal.... life creating! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:05:55 am by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
A new scam, or rather a different version of an old one arrived this morning from the Revenue via E -mail. We were due. they said, quite a decent tax rebate. If  we filled the attatched form in with our bank details, it would be forwarded.
 The Inland Revenue do not use the E- mail system--- so BEWARE.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2013, 12:55:29 pm »
I've had that one several years ago, I ignored it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
I get that one several times a month, it's always different amounts.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
The twelve scams of Christmas..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25200338
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
Someone posing as Fedex are sending out E- Mails asking for details so that they can deliver something to you.

We had 7 the same this morning.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.