Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242332 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:32 pm »
A slightly selective subset of your driving abilities I know but from a somewhat elevated position I've witnessed on many occasions both of your abilities to go down hills and approach traffic lights. 10 out of 10 from me on those.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2013, 08:01:44 am »
I,m sure I can come to you or Yorkie to put me in the right direction. As long as you don,t charge to much

Why wait?   I would be delighted to come out with you for an hour or so and give you an assessment (good and bad points) of your driving in today's traffic, and maybe pass on a few tips also.   And it would all be absolutely FREE of any charge.   However, I will allow you to buy the coffee at the debriefing.  :D

Anyone else?   ;)

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2013, 09:10:20 am »
No thanks Yorkie, I am perfect if you recall.
However, perhaps on that basis I should be assessing you?  8)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:08 am »
Yorkie, Erindoors and myself would find that interesting! I've been driving for Forty years now!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:11 am »
Me too ME, more than 40 years in fact in most types of vehicles from a Smart to a Jaguar and I used to drive a meals on wheels Mini van which was an 'orrible thing with gears like stirring a pudding.
But I am always willing to learn !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:30 am »
well i will not be taking up your offer Yorkie as my wife say,s I'm perfect to, I,v been driving her around the bend for over fifty years and am an expert at it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2013, 11:20:37 am »
I used to drive a meals on wheels Mini van which was an 'orrible thing with gears like stirring a pudding.

_))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
Today whilst getting my Daily Paper (and the NWWN) the shopkeeper informed me that there were fake £20 notes circulating in the area.

:o
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
There always is, lots of them... and despite being vigilant they still get accepted.

Luckily the bank tend to accept them too.  ;) ;)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:41 am »
There always is, lots of them... and despite being vigilant they still get accepted.

Luckily the bank tend to accept them too.  ;) ;)

I don't think average Joe Public is particularly vigilant, and so occasionally needs reminding.  All shopkeepers should be aware all the time, which is why they invest in marker pens and other types of detection equipment, some of which works and some which don't!!

Whilst the Banks will (generally) accept them along with other real notes, they can also dish them out again to the poor unsuspecting punter!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2013, 07:14:01 am »
Sounds like it is now possible to buy counterfeit goods with counterfeit money! So no harm done, possibly?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »
From Which?:

"Around a quarter of adults are at risk of falling victim to a growing telephone scam called vishing, according to Financial Fraud Action UK.

Vishing involves a fraudster posing on the phone as someone from a bank or building society fraud investigation team, the police or another legitimate organisation such as a telephone or internet provider.

They attempt to get financial information which often includes card and bank account details, pin numbers, as well as information about the victim, such as their full name, date of birth and address, which they can then use to plunder the victim's account or commit identity fraud."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2013, 02:49:28 pm »
And, unfortunately, many are daft enough to fall for it after all the warnings in the Media.  :rage:
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:56 am »
<ore scams:

The scam
– Scammers, using stolen credit card details, buy a product and have it delivered to your address. Once you’ve signed for it you’ll get a visit from someone posing as an employee of the company or courier who will say the delivery was a mistake. After you hand over the package the scammers will disappear with the product (that they can then re-sell) and leaving you with eventual demands for return of the product by the retailer once the use of a stolen credit card has been exposed.

Is it legal? – Yes and no. The initial use of a stolen credit card is of course illegal, but the courier scam itself would be difficult to pin down as having broken any law.

What you can do – If you’re not expecting a delivery be suspicious. Remember, you can always refuse to accept it.

Document processing sites

The scam – When searching online for the right website to renew official documents – such as a passport or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – you are likely to come across a selection of official-looking websites that offer to process your application for a fee. Sites such as these will claim to offer an automated or superior service to the official sites. What they don’t tell you is the process would be absolutely free on those very same official sites.

Is it legal? – Yes, providing the scamming sites are upfront regarding fees and their service. These sites must also contain disclaimers that explain they’re not officially sanctioned by government bodies for example.

What you can do
– Be wary of sponsored links on search engines such as Google – the links usually highlighted at the top of your search results page – and always check official pages.

The official EHIC application service is at www.nhs.uk/ehic or on 0300 330 1350, while the official passport site is at www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport or on 0300 222 0000.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:54 am »
Who on Earth would fall for this, received by me:-

Security Measures    

Dear  Nationwide Customer,

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

How can I restore my account access?    

Click the link Sign In Here

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

2013 Nationwide bank Plc. All rights reserved.
Cicero