Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242326 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2013, 07:25:00 am »
Another Scam.

Who on Earth would take this as a genuine mail?

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
=0D
 =0D
Dear PayPal Customer,=0D
=0D
 =0D
On July 13, 2013, We recently have determined that different computers ha=
ve logged in your PayPal account.=0D
 =0D
And multiple password failures were present before the logo's. We now nee=
d you to re-confirm your account information to us.=0D
If this is not completed by ,21, 07, 2013, we will be forced to suspend y=
our account indefinitely.=0D
=0D
Case ID Number : PP-001-544-590=0D
=0D
To restore your account,=0D
=0D
Please download the attached form to verify your Profile information and =
restore your account access.=0D
=0D
Make sure you enter the information accurately, and according to the form=
ats required.=0D
Fill in all the required fields.=0D
=0D
It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most of the=0D
time, we just need a little more information about your account or latest=
=0D
transactions.=0D
=0D
To help us with this and to see what you can and can't do with your accou=
nt=0D
until the issue is resolved, log in to your account and go to the=0D
Resolution Center.=0D
=0D
=0D
Yours sincerely,=0D
PayPal=0D
 =0D
----------------------------------------------------------------------=0D
Help Center: =0D
https://www.paypal.com/eg/cgi-bin/helpweb?cmd=3D_help=0D
Security Center: =0D
https://www.paypal.com/eg/security=0D
 =0D
Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbo=
x. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us"=
 at the bottom of any page.=0D
 =0D
Copyright =A9 2013 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved.=0D
 =0D
Consumer advisory: PayPal Pte Ltd, the Holder of the PayPal=99 payment se=
rvice stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetar=
y Authority of Singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms=
 and conditions: https://www.paypal.com/eg/sg/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=3Dp/gen/=
ua/ua-outside carefully.  =0D
PayPal Email ID  PP076=0D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 :D :D  :D  :D :D :D  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »
Before anyone posts this as a genuine scam, it isn't:

From another forum:

I don't know if you've come across this one:

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

(It goes on at length, claiming this is a deliberate scam).

I've just read about it in my Tyne Buy (the little booklet I get from my local consumer group). I didn't think it sounded plausible, so googled it, and sure enough, it is a hoax. If you're interested, you can read more here. As they say, it's always sensible to check your receipt, but there's no evidence at all that this happens in any supermarket.

I'm afraid that whoever edits my little magazine/booklet is completely credulous in these matters; it's not the first time they've repeated internet hoaxes.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

I always check my receipts as a couple of years ago in Tesco I was asked if wanted cash back. I replied no but noticed on my receipt £10 cashback had been added. I pointed it out to the cashier so was not out of pocket but you can never be too careful.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2013, 08:03:07 pm »
Another nasty one to be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23717575

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2013, 10:05:22 pm »
could end up were flashing your lights to be polite will become an offence,

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:29 am »
Another nasty one to be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23717575

All flashing lights show you, is that they are working, and such a signal has never been recognised in the Highway Code.  The answer is don't pay any attention to them.   ;D
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2013, 07:34:11 am »
I'd second that.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:33 pm »
A flash of lights is a warning that you are there in the dark, as you are not allowed to use the horn after 11.30pm until 7.00am.

It has never been an indication of your right of way.......I passed my test in 1980 and that is what was in the Highway Code then.........should read it again to see if any of that has changed!! 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:26 pm »
A flash of lights is a warning that you are there in the dark, as you are not allowed to use the horn after 11.30pm until 7.00am.

It has never been an indication of your right of way.......I passed my test in 1980 and that is what was in the Highway Code then.........should read it again to see if any of that has changed!! 

I think you will find that between dusk and dawn it is recommended that one drives on dipped headlights.   In an emergency there is no reason why the horn cannot be used.  However, if one is driving in accordance with their ability and the prevailing conditions, the use of the horn should not be necessary.

One time when it is possible to "flash" your headlights, is when you are about to overtake on a Motorway at speed and a slower motorist ahead could possibly cross lanes into your path.  This is more for the Police than the normal driver though.

I passed my test in 1957!  And my Advanced Tutor for the I.A.M. and RoSPA a few years ago.
 ^*^0    :D
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:06 pm »
that makes you a better driver than the rest of us then?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:35 am »

No!

But it doesn't hurt to pass on a little bit of knowledge to help others who want to improve.  I chose to teach Advanced Driving in order to assist in improving road safety amongst all drivers.  Also it was voluntary, in my own time, and done without any payment being received.   ;D
 :P :P :P

And I believe those who passed their Advanced Test were grateful for the assistance.   :D
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:45 am »
I think the biggest advantage of taking both a course and hopefully then passing the IAM test is that it does make you a more aware driver, plus you inevitably learn many things of which you weren't aware previously. I was lucky, as I happened to have a friend who was a Police driving instructor, and he trained me over a period of three months for the test. It really was a revelation, both seeing him drive and then attempting the same manoeuvres he'd done, in his case with apparent ease.  I also spent three evenings on the Police skid pan, driving a clapped-out Cortina with bald tyres, inflated to about 80psi, and no windows.

If we're debating what makes one person a better driver than another, I'd say there were two things: first is thoughtfulness, which is seriously lacking in many drivers in the area, and secondly is simply skill.  I put thoughtfulness first, as I suspect that's what my better and half and I notice missing the most. Signalling is so simple and easy to do, yet I doubt that 1 in 50 drivers - if that - do it properly on a roundabout. On the skills front, I regularly witness drivers unable to drive in forwards into parking bays. We always reverse in, yet any day you can see hordes of motorists providing the on-street entertainment when they attempt to parallel park, or even simply reverse.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2013, 09:03:21 am »

No, Snowcap... that would be me, I'm probably the best driver in the world, if not the universe.... miles better than you.  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »

No, Snowcap... that would be me, I'm probably the best driver in the world, if not the universe.... miles better than you.  :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with Fester, there is no-one, absolutely no-one, who can drive people round the bend, as well as he can, and at speed!    _))*  _))*
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »
Fester i bow down to your superior skills when it comes to driving I only passed my test when I was 17(1st time) a few years ago now but I,m still ready to learn in the cause for safety on the roads, and as soon as I find out that I,v become a danger to any one on the road I,m sure I can come to you or Yorkie to put me in the right direction. As long as you don,t charge to much