Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663405 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7620 on: July 27, 2017, 03:55:45 pm »
You could be right BTR  but it's still sad to see young people going out and not even talking to each other when they have gone out together.
They could do the mobile phone stuff at home and go outdoors a bit more.

PS    I've just read Nemesis' posting and it made me laugh as it reminded me of the pub I was in when I saw the six youngsters on their phones.
How sad to see such an addictive habit

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7621 on: July 27, 2017, 04:10:41 pm »
You could be right BTR  but it's still sad to see young people going out and not even talking to each other when they have gone out together.
They could do the mobile phone stuff at home and go outdoors a bit more.

PS    I've just read Nemesis' posting and it made me laugh as it reminded me of the pub I was in when I saw the six youngsters on their phones.
How sad to see such an addictive habit

That's what it is a habit, it's just hard to get out of the mindset - plus the things go off constantly every time anybody does anything you have to be notified through facebook etc. I've even got a watch now that vibrates every time I get a notification on anything.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7622 on: July 27, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »
Maybe that's what Llandudno needs, more free wifi access points.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #7623 on: July 27, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »
I have got to ask Born2 Run, are you in any way connected with any of the promoters of this application .

Offline Dave

« Reply #7624 on: July 27, 2017, 07:17:40 pm »
Apparently the application for the CYD park has been rejected as of yesterday. $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

Offline Dave

« Reply #7626 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:16 am »
Information about it's rejection came from Janet Finch-Saunders as posted on Facebook.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7627 on: July 28, 2017, 07:15:43 am »
There has not been a licencing sub-committee meeting since the application was submitted.

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/mgCalendarMonthView.aspx?GL=1&bcr=1

I guess it must have been withdrawn.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7628 on: July 28, 2017, 08:22:51 am »
I have got to ask Born2 Run, are you in any way connected with any of the promoters of this application .

Nope I just like to see a future being created for this town. I see it's been rejected, oh well at least there's still plenty for the over 80s to do. $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7629 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:58 am »
oh well at least there's still plenty for the over 80s to do. $good$
You'll be alright then, mate  8)

Offline Dave

« Reply #7630 on: July 28, 2017, 08:37:14 am »
 $donald$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7631 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:46 am »
I know what you're saying, B2R, but there's a lot the kids can do and, in general, do in a far safer environment than many places. In many cities, for example, the kids play tick with bricks and it's not easy for youngsters to do a lot outdoors, even if their outdoors were enticing, which many aren't. Now, I don't deny they need some leadership, which is the job of parents, but there are also a lot of opportunities for youngsters with local organisations, such as Scouts, Guides, Llandudno Youth Theatre, Churches and youth clubs.

But if we take a quick look at what they can do relatively safely in Llandudno, it includes

Swimming
Cricket
Tennis
Football
Sailing
Climbing
Walking
Photography
Skate boarding

and then the indoor pursuits include

Table Tennis
Roller skating
All manner of games
Snooker
Billiards

and a lot more I've not listed.  Youngsters need leading, challenging, engaging, teaching and encouraging. Moreover, they need to be in socially conducive situations, which is what youth clubs, Uniformed organisations and churches provide, although I accept some are better at encouraging youngsters than others. If there is validity in your observations, I suspect it lies with the churches.

The Methodist churches in particular originated with the idea that people from any social class would enjoy social events, and that's how they came into being. I don't know how well the current St John's continues that great tradition but in general the church buildings in Llandudno, which could provide so much for youngsters, seem remarkably free of them. 

Perhaps the various Church leaders should be openly challenged to say what they're doing to work with and for the youngsters of Llandudno?

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7632 on: July 28, 2017, 09:56:47 am »
Interesting that Gorjys Events has connections with Johnny Doughs ( as well as a few other local businesses including Great Orme Brewery, Albion Pub) via Directorships.
Johnny Dough's spokesman was critical of the Llandudno Extravagannza saying that it was time it was scrapped as it was ruining local businesses, their takings were down £4k as a result of competition from burger vans etc. ( Daily Post report).He also stated it was time for a new 21st century event ( yes that's what I was thinking too)
Gorjys Events has links to a company called Task Accounting ,( they share the same address), who in turn have a director also on the board of Skinny Grill Ltd, mobile burger vans.
Wonder who gets or maybe who doesn't get the catering concessions at the Extravagannza.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7633 on: July 28, 2017, 10:00:40 am »
Gorjys organising the extravaganza now are they?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7634 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:00 am »
I know what you're saying, B2R, but there's a lot the kids can do and, in general, do in a far safer environment than many places. In many cities, for example, the kids play tick with bricks and it's not easy for youngsters to do a lot outdoors, even if their outdoors were enticing, which many aren't. Now, I don't deny they need some leadership, which is the job of parents, but there are also a lot of opportunities for youngsters with local organisations, such as Scouts, Guides, Llandudno Youth Theatre, Churches and youth clubs.

But if we take a quick look at what they can do relatively safely in Llandudno, it includes

Swimming
Cricket
Tennis
Football
Sailing
Climbing
Walking
Photography
Skate boarding

and then the indoor pursuits include

Table Tennis
Roller skating
All manner of games
Snooker
Billiards

and a lot more I've not listed.  Youngsters need leading, challenging, engaging, teaching and encouraging. Moreover, they need to be in socially conducive situations, which is what youth clubs, Uniformed organisations and churches provide, although I accept some are better at encouraging youngsters than others. If there is validity in your observations, I suspect it lies with the churches.

The Methodist churches in particular originated with the idea that people from any social class would enjoy social events, and that's how they came into being. I don't know how well the current St John's continues that great tradition but in general the church buildings in Llandudno, which could provide so much for youngsters, seem remarkably free of them. 

Perhaps the various Church leaders should be openly challenged to say what they're doing to work with and for the youngsters of Llandudno?

There is loads for younger kids to do, and the churches do a lot. They have messy play sessions a lot, almost every day and organise lots of other events and trips etc. All of the church leaders I know are very much in tune with what you are saying. However I'm talking about older kids 16-21 who want somewhere decent to go without having to go to Chester or Liverpool and there isn't enough for them here.