Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2668862 times)

Offline Dave

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7635 on: July 28, 2017, 10:06:12 am »
Gorjys organising the extravaganza now are they?
I didn't say that, I said that there is a director of Gorjys who is on the board of Johnny Dough's. Johnny Dough's other director suggested that the Extravaganza should be scrapped and replaced with a more appropriate event.
Read in to that what you like.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7636 on: July 28, 2017, 10:12:44 am »
It would make an interesting topic comparing what is available to young people today compared to days gone past but this isn't the right thread.

I do't like to sound negative. There is a lot of exciting things people are working really hard on (this topic is one of those things) there is also the brilliant Great Orme Brewery - Llandudno music festival (the weekend after next) and TVWales stock on the prom for the August bank holiday.

Let's hope locals go out and support these initiatives.

A 21st century initiative perhaps?

What happened to the Music Festival planned for the Water Ski Conwy Valley that was suddenly cancelled because of the supposedly bad weather that never arrived. Who was running that then ?

Offline Dave

« Reply #7637 on: July 28, 2017, 10:19:04 am »
I think you've got it the wrong way round Hugo. I think YP are on their mobile phones and computers more these days BECAUSE there is nothing to do.

I was out in Liverpool a few weeks back and I didn't see any of the youngsters there staring at their phones because they were in a brilliant place having fun.

I'm curious as to what youngsters in Liverpool were doing having fun, perhaps that might help us remedy the shortcomings in Llandudno.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7638 on: July 28, 2017, 10:23:09 am »
I think you've got it the wrong way round Hugo. I think YP are on their mobile phones and computers more these days BECAUSE there is nothing to do.

I was out in Liverpool a few weeks back and I didn't see any of the youngsters there staring at their phones because they were in a brilliant place having fun.

I'm curious as to what youngsters in Liverpool were doing having fun, perhaps that might help us remedy the shortcomings in Llandudno.

Live music, loud music, all day long and food and drinks prices that don't break the bank (or student loan)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7639 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:08 am »
I didn't say that, I said that there is a director of Gorjys who is on the board of Johnny Dough's. Johnny Dough's other director suggested that the Extravaganza should be scrapped and replaced with a more appropriate event.

"Wonder who gets or maybe who doesn't get the catering concessions at the Extravagannza."

Why would they get concessions at the extravaganza?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7640 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:44 am »
I know what you're saying, B2R, but there's a lot the kids can do and, in general, do in a far safer environment than many places. In many cities, for example, the kids play tick with bricks and it's not easy for youngsters to do a lot outdoors, e

There is loads for younger kids to do, and the churches do a lot. They have messy play sessions a lot, almost every day and organise lots of other events and trips etc. All of the church leaders I know are very much in tune with what you are saying. However I'm talking about older kids 16-21 who want somewhere decent to go without having to go to Chester or Liverpool and there isn't enough for them here.

So what you're describing, if I'm right, is a shortage of night clubs?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7641 on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:13 am »

Live music, loud music, all day long and food and drinks prices that don't break the bank (or student loan)

You can't compare a city centre environment to a small town's ability to absorb noise, particularly in a residential neighbourhood like Craig-y-Don. You won't find that sort of event going on regularly in Liverpool's suburbs.
As for food and drink Subway,McDonalds et al have consistent pricing across all their outlets. You can get a cheap pint in Llandudno too.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7642 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:27 am »
I know what you're saying, B2R, but there's a lot the kids can do and, in general, do in a far safer environment than many places. In many cities, for example, the kids play tick with bricks and it's not easy for youngsters to do a lot outdoors, e

There is loads for younger kids to do, and the churches do a lot. They have messy play sessions a lot, almost every day and organise lots of other events and trips etc. All of the church leaders I know are very much in tune with what you are saying. However I'm talking about older kids 16-21 who want somewhere decent to go without having to go to Chester or Liverpool and there isn't enough for them here.

So what you're describing, if I'm right, is a shortage of night clubs?

Pubs and nightclubs that are fun for young people. We haven't got any.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7643 on: July 28, 2017, 10:56:57 am »
I suspect that a built-in assumption that the only venues where teenagers and adults can 'have fun' are night clubs and pubs is missing something.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7644 on: July 28, 2017, 11:07:22 am »
Your belief that activities for 'young people' must revolve around alcohol consumption is a bit worrying! Perhaps things have changed since you were young, B2R - I understand it was quite a long time ago...  :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7645 on: July 28, 2017, 11:39:08 am »
Your belief that activities for 'young people' must revolve around alcohol consumption is a bit worrying! Perhaps things have changed since you were young, B2R - I understand it was quite a long time ago...  :laugh:

I think you'll find most young people still drink a fair bit. The problem is they do it at home these days as most pubs/clubs are either too expensive or don't interest them. Thus most pubs now try and attract the older market with disposable income, which sadly I now fall into  Z**

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7647 on: July 28, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »

Board of Directors?   Johnny Dough's is a one man business!?!?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #7648 on: July 28, 2017, 03:31:41 pm »
If this has really been about one single event( which I don't think most would object to) why, as previously mentioned, not apply for a single event licence.
If the purpose is to cut down admin, which I'm all in favour of, and have it covers the other established events, why not apply for a licence that allows up to four one day events a year? Why have Wednesdays through to Sundays all year written in to the licence? Is it any wonder that local residents smell a rat!!

Offline Dave

« Reply #7649 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »

Board of Directors?   Johnny Dough's is a one man business!?!?

Really?
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10135429/officers