Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664226 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6870 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:05 am »
I think the Orme recycling was used as a trial run and the boxes subsequently used in other parts of the town were changed to include a lock on the top box after the trial run was completed

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6871 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me TheMedz      $good$

The top box does have a lock on it which is good but the two below it don't so something like you've described should help, providing of course that the binmen don't dispose of the "bungee cord"

My top box doesn't have a lock on it.. At least I don't think it does?

The top box has a lid and just a simple round yellow plastic disc that you turn to lock the top box.  They can't use that on the other two boxes as it's a stacking system

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6872 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:53 am »
Re recycling collections. I'm ready to be shot down on my offer of a partial solution to  this one but when the wind is blowing, and man does it blow up here, I put a "bungee chord" a cross the top of the top 2 of the 3 recycling boxes tying the paper box closed and attached onto the tins and plastics one. Not a perfect solution but for about 30p it does cut down the risk of the paper going everywhere. If it's really blowing at night I don't put it out overnight but put it out first thing in the morning. If it's really blowing in the morning I don't put the recycling out.
                I do exactly the same as TheMedz but on a moderately windy day as well as running the hooked elastic through the bin handles I also hook it onto the garden gate to stop the whole lot blowing over which happened in the gales before Xmas. I informed the lads on the collection wagon and they were quite happy to unhook it and replace it. We live at the bottom end of a cul-de-sac opposite the end of a long street running due west-to-east and as you can imagine we had loads of empty trolibocs bins from the adjacent area and the rubbish which was in them when they blew away all over the area last Friday morning. The neighbours collected all the boxes and put them all together as most of them were damaged and split and on Monday morning a council litter collection wagon with a cage was passing, stopped and took them all away.
                Like TheMedz I don't put the bins out until the morning as the council requested in the leaflet that was delivered with the "Bin-day Rota" recently, and if it is really wild I'll leave it till the following week. The bin-wagons are normally round here by about 0900 on the collection day. I realise that they can still blow away after they have been emptied if you are unable to retrieve them when they have been emptiedbut at least there is no rubbish blowing around everywhere

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6873 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:15 pm »
So, I live on the Orme, and nowhere needs a locking box more than Orme residents, but Orme residents didn't get them?

Brilliant!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6874 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
So, I live on the Orme, and nowhere needs a locking box more than Orme residents, but Orme residents didn't get them?

Brilliant!
The locking box doesn't make much difference. On a windy day,  the entire Trolibocs just blows over and all the boxes then become detached, quickly vanishing down the street.  &shake&

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6875 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:55 am »

Brilliant!
The locking box doesn't make much difference. On a windy day,  the entire Trolibocs just blows over and all the boxes then become detached, quickly vanishing down the street.  &shake&

Then perhaps, you should take Gwynant's advice, and do as other people do to avoid the issue occurring.

It's common sense, not rocket science, but makes a huge difference to the environment. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6876 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:20 am »

Brilliant!

Then perhaps, you should take Gwynant's advice, and do as other people do to avoid the issue occurring.

It's common sense, not rocket science, but makes a huge difference to the environment.
If it were so obvious, I imagine CCBC would have probably included it as part of the basic design of the Trolibocs?

Sadly, I have nowhere (i.e. gateposts) to attach the Trolibocs to, other wise I would have done just that long ago.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6877 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:39 am »
When will people stop blaming anything and everything else; CCBC, the Troliblocs, too windy, too hot, Putin, the earths orbit........................

We create waste, and we have a moral and social duty to ensure that it is disposed of correctly and to blame the absence of a gatepost for an excuse for creating litter does, with all due respect, seem absurd to me.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6878 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:13 am »
When will people stop blaming anything and everything else; CCBC, the Troliblocs, too windy, too hot, Putin, the earths orbit........................

We create waste, and we have a moral and social duty to ensure that it is disposed of correctly and to blame the absence of a gatepost for an excuse for creating litter does, with all due respect, seem absurd to me.

Come on, we also create taxes and we have good reason to expect them to be used sensibly to help us.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6879 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:32 am »
Through council tax we pay the council to dispose of the waste, it is up to the highly qualified and probably highly paid experts to provide us with a recycling system that is fit for purpose, the current system clearly is not suitable for this area. Lots of working families are too busy to devote the time to it that you do Bosun. I am retired so have the luxury of being able to put it out in the morning when it is windy and we have a drive so can shelter it from the wind. Most people just want a simple reliable system where it is taken away without blowing all over the place!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6880 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:30 am »
To a greater extent, I agree with you both, Born2Run and Merddin Emrys, but there is only so much CCBC can do, and in some quarters there does seem to be a lack of self responsibility that causes the situation that Fester so eloquently describes and we have all seen on the Gt Orme. Gwynant and TheMedz have made sensible arrangements and suggestions, and I wonder if any of those who find the current system (which is certainly not ideal) causing problems have consulted with their local Councillor/CCBC on possible alternatives? And if so, what was the response?

In the current financial climate, Councils are looking at all aspects of services to find ways to cut costs, and I know that one local council was considering removing local re-cycling pods found in car parks and other available public areas on the grounds of cost, expecting people to take their recycling to the main recycling centres. When I pointed out that this was contrary to Government policy on re-cycling, I was met with complete and utter indifference from the 'Environmental Waste Manager' at the council headquarters, whose attitude was 'tough, we've got to save money'.

With the financial pressures on councils, and the problem of waste, we have GOT to take more individual responsibility for recycling and the correct disposal of waste. Anyone who has been to Asia, India and seen the waste and debris littering the sides of roads and open areas, it's horrific. I was shocked by the waste in Bali, unbelievable. Even Base Camp for Everest is one giant rubbish strewn area.

We are cosseted in comparison with some countries, however, the measures, which some might consider Draconian, in place in some European countries in respect to household waste should be put in place here sooner rather than later by Central Government legislation to force councils to comply.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6881 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:49 am »

I don't create litter. We don't put the recycling out if the weather forecast says it is going to be windy. Of course, this does mean I am paying for a service which I cannot use....  &shake&

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6882 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »
Through council tax we pay the council to dispose of the waste, it is up to the highly qualified and probably highly paid experts to provide us with a recycling system that is fit for purpose, the current system clearly is not suitable for this area. Lots of working families are too busy to devote the time to it that you do Bosun. I am retired so have the luxury of being able to put it out in the morning when it is windy and we have a drive so can shelter it from the wind. Most people just want a simple reliable system where it is taken away without blowing all over the place!

Very good point ME.
The people who collect our rubbish bins come at about 7am - so I need to make sure I put those bins out the night before as I'm not awake! The people who collect our recycling bins come at about half 1 in the afternoon when I'm in work, so I have to put those out about 8am before I leave in the morning,I still have to do this twice but unfortunately between 8am and 1.30 am there is a lot of wind and we don't have a drive or shelter and the boxes are often scattered by the time I get home from work. There isn't a lot I can do about this. Predicting the weather on the possibility to leave them in is another dead end as it can be nice and mild in the morning and hurricane winds a few hours later! Why can't they both come at the same time?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6883 on: February 04, 2016, 12:47:54 pm »
Bosun this was the brain child of Mike priestly and him and his mates Don't listen to anyone ( blinkered)  they did a trial run and it wasn't a success but hey ho it's not their money to waste ,let's not forget he travelled the world 😅 To see how other places do it , good idea in l,pool they have a purple bin for recycle works very well the bins never go missing , it's a good idea off gwynant ,but as someone else does puts a brick on top think of the claim going against you if dropped on a worker, stupid h/s .

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6884 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
Or what if you're bin clatters into someone's car? They are too light for purpose and are a danger