Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664120 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6855 on: January 30, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
Once again, I have had time to marvel at the utter stupidity of the people from CCBC who thought it would be a good idea to use the Trollibocs as the recycling system for householders in exposed coastal locations like Llandudno. The high winds last night have resulted in recycling boxes scattered far and wide across town, along with their contents - newspapers, tins, bits of cardboard, bottles, all festooned over roads, lawns, gardens, bushes.

One has to laugh when recalling the comments of the Councillor who introduced it:

Cllr Mike Priestley, Portfolio Holder for Highways, Environment and Sustainability, said: "Recycling is really important to the people of Conwy.  For years, our residents have asked us to make it easier and we have listened.  Trials of the Trolibocs over the last year have been a great success and every day, people make contact wanting to know when they will get a Trolibocs.  I'm delighted to say that by the spring, householders will have a Trolibocs and the days of different boxes and bags blowing away will be a thing of the past."
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=11469&doc=35310&Language=1

It's interesting to note that other areas have exactly the same problem; the Trolibocs is simply not fit for purpose:
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13902555.Petition_launched_and_protest_planned_against_controversial_new_recycling_system/

Sorry DaveR, I have to disagree with you. The fact is that no idea is perfect; all it takes is a bit of common sense. Re-cycling waste is being collected and receptacles have been provided - all it takes is a bit of common sense and responsibility. Tie them down, but a brick on it, put it out in the morning, wait until next week - ask a neighbour, take it to the re-cycling centre yourself, what ever it takes.

I am tired of commentators finding someone else to blame when the real reason for many issues that blight us in society is the lack od social responsibility and common sense from a few lazy unthinking individuals. 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6856 on: January 30, 2016, 03:06:44 pm »
Hi Bosun, I hear what you are saying, but take a look up around the roads on the Gt Orme, and you will conclude that despite many 'sensible' measures attempted... the roads are simply strewn with filthy plastic bottles, magazines, tins, and glass.  (broken or otherwise)

When the gales come, and that seems to be more and more frequently these days, you simply have to put the bins out... as the operatives won't go onto your property to find them.
It would have to be one hell of a heavy brick on top to prevent them blowing over... and I'm sure that putting one on would contravene some kind of H&S legislation.   They don't need much encouragement to leave the bin unemptied!

The Orme this week has never been more full of litter, it's terrible, a high percentage of what people tried to recycle last week is strewn around grass verges, in trees and on the roadside.
I don't profess to know the 'perfect' answer, but it's not the Trollibocs!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6857 on: January 30, 2016, 03:13:28 pm »
The winds have been bad recently and if they are like that the day before bin day then I don't put the bins out.  I usually get up before the bin men call and put the bins out when I get up.
If I don't get up in time and the various bins are full it doesn't matter anyway  because CCBC has agreed for householders to use the old style bags as well and they will collect them the following week

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6858 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »
Fester, I sympathise entirely with your frustration at the litter on the Gt Orme, it is an absolute disgrace, BUT, there is NO excuse - don't blame the containers supplied, blame the idiots who do not regard it as their responsibility for the litter that they create. There is no excuse whatsoever for litter and I get extremely frustrated when the householder believes that what ever the circumstances, as long as they have placed it outside their property, their responsibility ends. No it does not. It's their responsibility to ensure that is fully disposed of in the correct manner, and that means safely and correctly ensuring collection, as Hugo does. (I won't even bother outlining the environmental legislation responsibility placed on businesses to ensure the correct disposal of waste.)

I'd have no qualms about birching litter louts and flogging fly tippers.

Litter is the scourge of society, it pollutes the seas, ruins the environment and blights the landscape. One of the best things done by the Welsh Assembly was the plastic bag 'tax', that legislation has only partially been brought in by England, in a ludicrous half-hearted manner.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6859 on: January 30, 2016, 06:32:18 pm »
I think what Fester is referring to is that there are a number of terraces on the Orme that in the past the bins were collected from each property & returned by the bin men but now the owners are expected to line these boxes up at the end of the terrace to save them the walk. As the property owners are then out at work for the day the boxes sit there until tea time when people return from work. If they are not emptied until lunch time they run the risk of being blown over and separating & then the contents eventually pour out into the street on a particularly windy day.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6860 on: January 30, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »
I think what Fester is referring to is that there are a number of terraces on the Orme that in the past the bins were collected from each property & returned by the bin men but now the owners are expected to line these boxes up at the end of the terrace to save them the walk. As the property owners are then out at work for the day the boxes sit there until tea time when people return from work. If they are not emptied until lunch time they run the risk of being blown over and separating & then the contents eventually pour out into the street on a particularly windy day.

$good$ $good$
Fester...

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6861 on: January 31, 2016, 09:08:29 am »
Cllr Mike Priestley now there no surprise.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6862 on: January 31, 2016, 09:16:44 am »
Fester, I sympathise entirely with your frustration at the litter on the Gt Orme, it is an absolute disgrace, BUT, there is NO excuse - don't blame the containers supplied, blame the idiots who do not regard it as their responsibility for the litter that they create. There is no excuse whatsoever for litter and I get extremely frustrated when the householder believes that what ever the circumstances, as long as they have placed it outside their property, their responsibility ends. No it does not. It's their responsibility to ensure that is fully disposed of in the correct manner, and that means safely and correctly ensuring collection, as Hugo does. (I won't even bother outlining the environmental legislation responsibility placed on businesses to ensure the correct disposal of waste.)

Litter is the scourge of society, it pollutes the seas, ruins the environment and blights the landscape. One of the best things done by the Welsh Assembly was the plastic bag 'tax', that legislation has only partially been brought in by England, in a ludicrous half-hearted manner.

What your answer ???

I have seen estates in Germany with fenced and locked compounds. Householders have keys and are expected to take sorted rubbish there. Don't know if it would work in the UK as Brits don't obey the rules like the Germans. But you don't see bin and  rubbish all over the places so it works there.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6863 on: January 31, 2016, 10:36:03 am »

What your answer ???

I have seen estates in Germany with fenced and locked compounds. Householders have keys and are expected to take sorted rubbish there. Don't know if it would work in the UK as Brits don't obey the rules like the Germans. But you don't see bin and  rubbish all over the places so it works there.

You seem to have suggested an answer; work with the local councillor and council to find a more suitable methodology, but the first thing is as I have said previously and you have touched on it above, demand, force, educate or birch people into taking responsibility for their own social behaviour.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6864 on: February 01, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »
I hope that there is no bin day tomorrow in Llandudno because it's very rough out there tonight.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6865 on: February 02, 2016, 09:43:46 am »
I don't recall there being the same level of problem before the Trolibocs was introduced? That clearly indicates a problem with the design of the recycling system. In Denbighshire, all the recycling goes together into one large wheely bin, a much simpler and more effective system.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6866 on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
The one large wheely bin idea sounds great! Exactly what we should have here!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6867 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:47 pm »
Re recycling collections. I'm ready to be shot down on my offer of a partial solution to  this one but when the wind is blowing, and man does it blow up here, I put a "bungee chord" a cross the top of the top 2 of the 3 recycling boxes tying the paper box closed and attached onto the tins and plastics one. Not a perfect solution but for about 30p it does cut down the risk of the paper going everywhere. If it's really blowing at night I don't put it out overnight but put it out first thing in the morning. If it's really blowing in the morning I don't put the recycling out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6868 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:27 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me TheMedz      $good$

The top box does have a lock on it which is good but the two below it don't so something like you've described should help, providing of course that the binmen don't dispose of the "bungee cord"

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6869 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:01 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me TheMedz      $good$

The top box does have a lock on it which is good but the two below it don't so something like you've described should help, providing of course that the binmen don't dispose of the "bungee cord"

My top box doesn't have a lock on it.. At least I don't think it does?
Fester...