Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664181 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6435 on: July 12, 2015, 06:47:16 pm »
That old cage looked awful and didn't really do much to protect the statue. Hopefully having it in a more visible location will help deter vandalism.
I do not think it will, it would not take much to damage it beyond repair, there must be a more secure, yet public site available

The Mayor of Llandudno has appealed for vandals to stay away after officially unveiling the town’s repaired White Rabbit statue      &shake&

The Mayor of Llandudno has appealed for the town's new look White Rabbit statue to be respected.
On Saturday, it was relocated to land beside a former tram shelter in Gloddaeth Street.
The marble figure, inspired by Lewis Carroll’s 150-year-old classic book Alice in Wonderland, had been at West Shore but was vandalised.

It was recently repaired by Llandudno sculptor Nick Elphick after having been removed in 2012.
The unveiling came at a ceremony attended by the Mayor of Llandudno Cllr Frank Bradfield, the Town Crier Billy Baxter and this year’s Miss Alice - Sarah McEwan, eight.

Cllr Bradfield said: “It has been well worth the wait. I marvel at the artistry of Nick Elphick in repairing the statue.

Characters from the Alice in Wonderland books held a tea party to celebrate the unveiling of the statue
“I don’t believe it would be sufficiently protected by a barrier. But if parents told their children about the value of the statue to the town, and the Alice in Wonderland story, perhaps people will respect the statue and leave it there.”
Originally unveiled by former Prime Minister David Lloyd George in 1933, it had previously been near and in a pond surrounded by a cage, yet was still vulnerable to yobs damaging it.

The Mayor said he was pleased to see its importance recognised by the presence of Aberconwy MP Guto Bebb, Aberconwy AM Janet Finch-Saunders and North Wales AM Janet Haworth. Also present was Conwy County Borough Council chairman Cllr Liz Roberts.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/look-llandudnos-iconic-white-rabbit-9640116

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6436 on: July 12, 2015, 06:50:43 pm »
I always thought it should be situated on the roundabout on North Parade, by The St Tudno Hotel.
Very visible, very touristy, and looked on from all sides.

Good idea.  Or the Train station.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6437 on: July 14, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »
Don;t forget aug 22 Llandudno fc will be live on S4C 5 15 first ever match to be screened live from Llandudno,if you can;t make it down to Maesdu park then at least support the tv viewing figures.

Offline systema

« Reply #6438 on: July 16, 2015, 04:34:30 pm »
You can always upgrade to superfast broadband.

We are on superfast broadband or at least that is what we pay for. Have been in touch with BT Mumbai but that is just a big waste of time, done all the things they asked us to do re moving the router,  cleaning up the machine, emptied the cache and using an ethernet cable - still as bad - what a waste of money.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6439 on: July 16, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »
You can always upgrade to superfast broadband.

We are on superfast broadband or at least that is what we pay for. Have been in touch with BT Mumbai but that is just a big waste of time, done all the things they asked us to do re moving the router,  cleaning up the machine, emptied the cache and using an ethernet cable - still as bad - what a waste of money.

Have you done a speed test to see what speeds you're actually getting?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6440 on: July 16, 2015, 04:39:27 pm »
Is the Router plugged into the Master BT Socket?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6441 on: July 18, 2015, 12:34:37 pm »
POLL: Senior figures claim traffic trouble a danger to businesses and tourism in Llandudno

TROUBLESOME traffic problems are a threat to businesses and tourism in Llandudno, it has been claimed.

A number of issued have been raised in the midst of the busy summer season, with civic councillor David Hampson claiming to have received number of complaints from concerned residents and tourists over the behaviour of traffic wardens.

He said: “I’m embarrassed by the scale of this trade and overwhelmed by the level of complaints people have brought to my attention.
“This way of bleeding tourists will ultimately be Llandudno’s downfall.
“Surely it's about educating the public, with clear signs placed through out the town.
"Punishing them in the pocket is a backwards step, its almost a Victorian punishment.”
That's three generations of potential tourist income lost forever,” he added.

Another problem highlighted are the parking charges on the town’s high street, which Aberconwy Assembly Member Janet Finch-Saunders raised recently in the Senedd.
She said: “As chair of the Cross Party Group on Shops the issue of parking charges on the high street remain a huge problem for business owners when having to compete with out of town development centres.
“Local authorities should not use parking charges as a revenue income stream to the detriment of our small local businesses and high streets.”

Edwina Hart, Minister for Economy, Science and Transport said she would be holding talks with the Minister for Local Government and Planning to raise these concerns.

Cllr Ronnie Hughes, deputy leader at Conwy County Council, said he is aware of the problems and various letters have been sent to council departments regarding the issue.
He said: “The traffic wardens seem to be focusing on Mostyn Street and while I have seen buses getting away with murder, and it is the motorists who seem to be suffering.”
Poll...http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/150442/poll-senior-figures-claim-traffic-trouble-a-danger-to-businesses-and-tourism-in-llandudno.aspx

Offline Jack

« Reply #6442 on: July 18, 2015, 01:38:00 pm »
I read this in the paper the other day and didn't understand the statement "parking charges on the high street".

There are no parking charges on Mostyn Street or is it referring to parking fines for people over staying their allotted time?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6443 on: July 18, 2015, 02:48:10 pm »
I must admit when I saw the headline I expected complaints about the A55 or other road traffic problems, and not the traffic wardens...their statement seems strange “Surely it's about educating the public, with clear signs placed through out the town."  I am sure we are no different than any other town? .       I am wondering if there is confusion over which wardens they are or should be discussing,       in fact if you look at the article, the comments by  Councillor David Hampson do not refer to traffic wardens at all, I think these complaints are about the the "Rubbish" wardens, and if so it is about time, but a shame for the mix up........... &shake&

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6444 on: July 18, 2015, 05:38:13 pm »
Dozens of Subaru Impreza's heading into Llandudno at the mo' with a camera van etc...
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6445 on: July 18, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »
"Rubbish" wardens.......... I spotted them twice this afternoon in Mostyn St. first time standing chatting with their backs to the wall, second time sitting outside the library again with their backs to the seat, both times they just look like two men having a chat.

Bearing in mind their summer uniform is a Polo shirt with very small print on the back, this is the definition of an ambush waiting to happen.

SDQ.......Just saw about a dozen going past the house, nice sound.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6446 on: July 18, 2015, 10:11:27 pm »
Dozens of Subaru Impreza's heading into Llandudno at the mo' with a camera van etc...

What were they here for? Thought I was seeing things when they all drove past us !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #6447 on: July 18, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »

What were they here for? Thought I was seeing things when they all drove past us !

Drug dealers convention?
They do seem to be the vehicle of choice for that industry...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6448 on: July 18, 2015, 11:14:00 pm »

http://www.seriesmcrae.com/
Valar Morghulis

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6449 on: July 20, 2015, 12:20:44 pm »
POLL: Senior figures claim traffic trouble a danger to businesses and tourism in Llandudno

TROUBLESOME traffic problems are a threat to businesses and tourism in Llandudno, it has been claimed.

x[/url]

Interesting. Conwy of course has the same if not worse problem. It's nigh impossible to park on the high street but I have noticed Bodlondeb is free in the week and usually free at weekends (the meter covered up) However on Pirate weekend it wasn't and for the first time I saw a warden patrolling there. Clearly a cash cow for them that weekend. The week after we also parked there and when we arrived around 10am the meter was covered up - when we got back at about 1 ish the meter was uncovered and people were paying. Fortunately we didn't get a ticket as it would have been impossible for us to have bought one at the time we arrived anyway so would have been contested.

Saying that in Cornwall it is IMPOSSIBLE to park anywhere near any high street for free and the parking charges are horrendous - Normally about 7/10 pound for over four hours. In St Ives you're lucky if you can park at all! I think we spent in or around £100 on parking the week we were there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:13:08 pm by Ian »