Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664383 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5985 on: December 26, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »
Just thought that I would give you a Christmas treat ! ;D Which ever you prefer.......................
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5986 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
Sea temperature of minus 8C?  I would have thought plus 8C!  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5987 on: December 26, 2014, 06:45:46 pm »
Sea temperature of minus 8C?  I would have thought plus 8C!  ???

The Master of Ceremonies said it was MINUS 8,  not sure if he was joking. (or guessing)
At the time, the air temperature was 6.5 degrees according to my car.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5988 on: December 26, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »
From Surf Forcast.com

Today's Llandudno sea temperature is 9.2 °C.

Statistics for 26 Dec (1981–2005) – mean: 9.5 °C, range: 8.4 °C to 10.4 °C

I'm sure they say it to add to the drama! 😀
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5989 on: December 26, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »
I have always had my doubts about this temperature thing. One year they said that it was minus 11 degrees !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZSbwGiz3lk
Not that I am thinking of testing it !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5990 on: December 27, 2014, 07:49:30 am »
Sea water generally freezes at about -4, so -8 would mean an ice-locked Llandudno.  Would mean you could walk to Dublin though...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5991 on: December 27, 2014, 08:45:52 am »
Interesting thought !

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5992 on: December 28, 2014, 11:20:12 am »
Another year draws to an end and i have too make a new years resolution,shall i stop moaning,might work,christmas lights will only improve if we had somebody interested besides me,Clarence should open,Tudno castle should start,flowers and grass will not improve,Broadway boulavard maybe sold,homebase will close,TKMAKK may open,Pier Pavillion will remain off -topic so how will i manage to stick to my resolution.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5993 on: December 28, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
Another year draws to an end and i have too make a new years resolution,shall i stop moaning,might work,christmas lights will only improve if we had somebody interested besides me,Clarence should open,Tudno castle should start,flowers and grass will not improve,Broadway boulavard maybe sold,homebase will close,TKMAKK may open,Pier Pavillion will remain off -topic so how will i manage to stick to my resolution.

If I were a betting man Wrex  I still wouldn't put any money on you sticking to that resolution for very long but keep up the good work in 2015 and add the Llandudno Youth Club to your list as Mostyn Estates won't be dipping into their coffers.      Z**

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5994 on: January 07, 2015, 09:46:51 pm »
IM very pleased to see the mayor has put Llandudno forward for the best beach award.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5995 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:55 pm »
 _))*  _))* does he thinks it's April the 1st ,I take it he,s not walked along there lately . It's a mess and getting worse , and as for that new slipway when will it be finished one wonders .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5996 on: January 08, 2015, 08:45:08 am »
as for that new slipway when will it be finished one wonders .
It was covered in several feet of shingle again when I last walked past a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5997 on: January 08, 2015, 10:10:36 am »
as for that new slipway when will it be finished one wonders .
It was covered in several feet of shingle again when I last walked past a couple of weeks ago.
            I cycled past it this morning and the sea has "re-profiled" (to use the contractor's terms) the beach to an unbroken line of shingle right along the beach, covering the new slipway, as Dave.R. says, in about a metre of shingle. I think the council are going to have to bite the bullet, (again!) and clear it at the beginning of the season, and then pray for good weather throughout the summer.
           I feel sorry for the Yacht Club members, who must have thought that this new slipway, with improved launching facilities, would help them secure new regattas etc. in the future.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5998 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:45 pm »
Man who lived in a cave barred from every pub in Llandudno

Jan 08, 2015 11:20
By Jez Hemming

A man who came to public attention for living in a Great Orme cave was barred from every pub in Llandudno and ordered to pay £145 in fines and costs after breaching his ASBO.

Ray Burton, 52, of Maelgwyn Road, Llandudno, was given a six month community order banning him from every Llandudno pub and warned his ASBO (anti-social behaviour order) prohibited begging by Llandudno Magistrates.

Burton had sworn and behaved offensively when asked to leave a local pub, although he said he had just wanted to use the toilet.

His solicitor, Nia Dawson, said Burton, who has recently been living in a Llandudno flat while local charity Hope Restored try to find him a permanent home, wished to apologise for swearing.

An alcoholic with 132 convictions (24 involving violence), he was in the news before Christmas after an article highlighted the prospect of him spending the festive period in a cave on the Great Orme.

At the time he said: “I hope 2015 will be a better year, I just hope I’ll get a flat as I am getting too old to be living on the streets.”

Offers of support flooded in and Burton was later offered a flat, but failed to make the appointment.

Brenda Fogg, founder of Hope Restored, said he was struggling because people were offering him alcohol after seeing his story in the press.

He said of the charity’s founder: “Brenda came to the rescue, she clothed me bought me another tent, sleeping bag and a little stove.”

Originally from Port Talbot has been on the streets for most of his life.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-who-lived-cave-barred-8404346

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5999 on: January 08, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »
Stephanie Vaughan Brenda the angel at Hope restored at Gloddaeth church in Llandudno has now found Ray a flat he will be moving in on Saturday thank you to the wonderful people out there who care one never knows what tomorrow brings but for Ray he will be warm for Christmas

I'll say it again, this forum does not reflect local opinion

Wonder how local opinion is feeling now?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.