Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664384 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5040 on: April 09, 2014, 11:49:19 pm »
The meeting commenced at 7pm...the Committee broke for a tea break at around 8pm

Golly! Hard work being a councillor.

It must indeed be hell Ian, as only half an hour later, Cllr Robbins was in the Cross Keys, (where I was playing darts) and he gave me the low down on the proposals.    He is also a cracking darts player to be fair!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5041 on: April 10, 2014, 09:03:13 am »
Watch: Angry Llandudno residents confront lorries delivering stones to beach too early
Apr 09, 2014 18:31 By Rhodri Barker

People say the stones will ruin the beach and deter holidaymakers and have been confronting lorries turning up earlier than 8am to deliver them

Angry residents have confronted  trucks which turned up too early to  make controversial deliveries of stones  to a beach.

They include a hotelier who says the lorries working on Llandudno promenade woke his guests.

Lorries have spent weeks delivering stones to the beach  after defences were damaged  during winter storms.

The move has caused outrage among residents who  fear the stones will ruin the  beach and deter holidaymakers.

Geoff Lofthouse, general  manager of the Imperial  Hotel, said he staged his  “one-man protest” after several  guests complained that they were woken  by the noise of the deliveries on Friday.

He said: “They started work at 7.20am,  which is totally unacceptable. Guests  complained not only at my hotel, but at  the hotel next door too.

“They said they could start at 7.30, so I  went and stood in front of the trucks for  10 minutes.

“Guests pay extra for front-facing  rooms, but some said they would  have stayed in rooms at the back  if they’d known about this.  Emptying the stones out of a  metal truck on to more stones  makes a horrendous noise.”

Mr Lofthouse said that, following his protest, the council told him that work would  start at 8am in future.

However, this morning, Ian  Turner, chairman of a newly  formed action group aimed at  restoring Llandudno’s North Shore to its  “former glory”, was on the promenade to  complain that deliveries were being  made before 8am.

He stood in front of a truck owned by  Porthmadog firm O J Jones & Son and  claims it carried on moving, hitting his  shoulder and arm.

A video posted on Facebook by Mr  Turner shows him gesturing towards the  vehicle and saying: “You hit me with this  wagon.”

Mr Turner filmed several lorries driving on to the prom while complaining  that it was not yet 8am. In the video, his  watch shows the time is a few minutes  before 8am.

A driver in a lorry belonging to  Staffordshire firm N S Clarke Transport  is seen showing Mr Turner the V-sign.

Mr Turner said: “I stood my ground in  front of a wagon and shouted it wasn't  eight o’clock yet, but he drove into me  hitting my arm and shoulder with a  glancing blow.

“I continued to shout at him saying  he’d hit me as I was really shocked and  shaken up by it. I was there on a point of  principle as one of the people who is  objecting to the way our North Shore  beach is being ruined by stones.”

O J Jones & Son declined to comment  when approached by the Daily Post.

Asked about the driver who showed  Mr Turner the V-sign, a spokesman for N  S Clarke Transport said: “We are looking  into it and will speak to the driver. The  driver should not have done it and we  have apologised to Mr Turner, who  called us to complain.”

A county council spokeswoman said:  “Trucks arrived on site prior to work  starting at 8am. However, we can confirm no tipping of material has been  carried out before 8am in order to minimise impact on local businesses.”

Iwan Davies, Conwy’s chief executive, answered critics of the work at a cabinet meeting this week.

He said: “What we're currently doing in Llandudno is putting the coastal defences back to their 2002 state - nothing more, just reinstating the existing defences. Keeping Llandudno safe has to be the overriding aim.

“I would rather be criticised for lack of sand on the beach than the council being held responsible in due course for failing to protect Llandudno's residents and businesses from flooding.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-angry-llandudno-residents-confront-6943488

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5042 on: April 10, 2014, 09:22:02 am »
What good is taking it out on the workers going to do?

Some protest!

If they really want to protest go and cause a scene in the offices where the decisions are made

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5043 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:29 am »
Mr Turner said: “I stood my ground in  front of a wagon and shouted it wasn't  eight o’clock yet, but he drove into me  hitting my arm and shoulder with a  glancing blow.

Bad positioning  ;D

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5044 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:59 am »
The protest was because the lorries were going onto the promenade before they were allowed to at 8am.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5045 on: April 10, 2014, 10:39:45 am »
The protest was because the lorries were going onto the promenade before they were allowed to at 8am.

My apologies. Protesting because someone starts work ten minutes earlier than they're supposed to is well worth the dedication $good$ Suprsed nobody set themselves on fire.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5046 on: April 10, 2014, 10:46:28 am »
Ian Turner is a great guy, I have the utmost respect for him. He's contributed far more to Llandudno that most people have.  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5047 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:05 am »
Ian Turner is a great guy, I have the utmost respect for him. He's contributed far more to Llandudno that most people have.  $good$

Very true!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #5048 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
The reason for changing the start time to 8am instead of 7-7.30am was to help reduce the impact on hotel guests.. If I had paid extra for a sea view room while on holiday even 8am would seem early to be woken up by heavy haulage tipping rocks.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5049 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:01 pm »
The reason for changing the start time to 8am instead of 7-7.30am was to help reduce the impact on hotel guests.. If I had paid extra for a sea view room while on holiday even 8am would seem early to be woken up by heavy haulage tipping rocks.

Agree wholeheartedly. But what good is harrasing the poor workman going to do?
They have to do as they're told by those in power. If you want to get something done go to the top, and make a bloody lot of noise over there  $angry$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5050 on: April 10, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
At the end of the day we do not want the stones,if CCBC have paid upfront for them then they can store them in the Pier Pavilion pit and use it as a car park until they sort it out,only been20 years,as for Ian getting abuse it is out of order we the public asked him to get involved so vent your anger somewhere else,i enjoy being slagged pick on the lve.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5051 on: April 10, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »
Who has been abusing Ian?

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5052 on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »

Agree, and don't like the look of our new beach, but the fuss he made over a couple of minutes before 8.00am, just made him look ridiculous.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5053 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:17 pm »
Finally some sanity  D)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5054 on: April 10, 2014, 07:46:42 pm »
Some folk may recall that a Dr Philip Barber was the consultant who advised on the beach nourishment scheme (opposed at the time by Ian Turner and a few other councillors).  I noticed he is still active and if you google Hopton on Sea Parish Council, they had a meeting in 2013 headed "Who stole our beach".  Dr Barber seems involved there. For some reason the press have not made any reference to Barber's proposals which have resulted in the present unsatisfactory situation.