Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663793 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4980 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
Plinth for a JFS Statue maybe?   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4981 on: March 25, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
Something to do with Punch and Judy I have heard.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4982 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »
Judith has a story on the 48,000 tons of stone they have put on the beach,Colwyn bay gets sand we get stone,interesting.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4983 on: March 25, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »
I once suggested on here that the White Rabbit statue should be relocated there, maybe it's happening?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4984 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:21 am »
I just hope the concrete slab is not the foundation for some sort of tacky kiosk.  &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4985 on: March 26, 2014, 10:25:08 am »
Jason recently informed me he had permission granted to do something there to do with Punch and Judy and I understand he has now given up his kiosk on the pier.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4986 on: March 26, 2014, 10:28:32 am »
Jason recently informed me he had permission granted to do something there to do with Punch and Judy and I understand he has now given up his kiosk on the pier.
I don't recall seeing any sort of Planning Application?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4987 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:59 am »
Judith has a story on the 48,000 tons of stone they have put on the beach,Colwyn bay gets sand we get stone,interesting.
I do wonder how effective all that stone is?  How can it stop the town from flooding when the sea level is above it during severe storms (see photo below from earlier this year)? Surely a better solution would be to replace the Prom seating with new seating set into a higher back wall, effectively creating a 3 foot high flood wall along the Prom?

Llandudno High Tide 5 Dec 2013-7954 by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4988 on: March 26, 2014, 10:53:41 am »
I do wonder how effective all that stone is?  How can it stop the town from flooding when the sea level is above it during severe storms (see photo below from earlier this year)? Surely a better solution would be to replace the Prom seating with new seating set into a higher back wall, effectively creating a 3 foot high flood wall along the Prom?

Not sure how much the mean sea level was actually above the prom;  I suspect the wind driving the waves was the main culprit in the flood damage.

The main object of the stones is to dissipate the energy of the waves and thus reduce the quantity of water which can breach the prom. If you simply had a wall, there'd be no dissipation at all, merely reflection and absorption. The Llandudno shoreline is part of the coastal interface which is exposed to a wide range of erosional processes and thus a combination of denudational processes will work against a seawall. In purely practical terms, something's gotta give, and if that were to happen in a catastrophic failure then a lot of people could be hurt.

I much prefer the soft engineering option that both Colwyn Bay and Llandudno are currently favouring, although a lot of CB's prom is hard-engineered. I think however, you'd need roughly a million tons of sand to make the thing work really well.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4989 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:49 am »
[Not sure how much the mean sea level was actually above the prom;  I suspect the wind driving the waves was the main culprit in the flood damage.
The wind was actually pushing the waves away from the central Prom area, down towards the Paddling Pool. If the wind had been straight on to the Prom, there's no doubt in my mind that the Town Centre would have flooded to some degree.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4990 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:24 am »
Ah. I wasn't here on 5th December, so I didn't see what was happening but the storm surge bulge and associated dynamics would still have accounted for a lot of the extra water penetration, I imagine.  I think the biggest problem is that Llandudno's built on a low lying isthmus, so how the natural geography will cope with the expected increase in incidence of extreme conditions I just don't know.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4991 on: March 26, 2014, 04:23:20 pm »
Ah. I wasn't here on 5th December, so I didn't see what was happening but the storm surge bulge and associated dynamics would still have accounted for a lot of the extra water penetration, I imagine.  I think the biggest problem is that Llandudno's built on a low lying isthmus, so how the natural geography will cope with the expected increase in incidence of extreme conditions I just don't know.

Local area navigational charts indicate a Mean High tide well below the promenade level.  The big surges are created by the wind effect over long distances and by the phases of the Moon especially at "Spring" tides.

Nothing much one can do against a Tsunami!
 ZXZ

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/wales/llandudno
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4992 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30:13 pm »
A mysterious concrete platform has been installed on a section of lawn near the Pier gates - does anyone know what it is for?

I've been told it's to relocate the Morris Column https://www.google.co.uk/#q=morris+column that used to be beside where Punch and Judy puts his Kiosk.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4993 on: March 26, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »
The big surges are created by the wind effect over long distances and by the phases of the Moon especially at "Spring" tides.

That's part of it, certainly, but the big storm surges are primarily caused by extreme low pressure, which causes the water beneath to expand creating a dome miles wide which can often exceed the highest tide levels by six feet or more. Couple that with wind effects and spring tides and you have problems.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4994 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
Didn't want to get too technical!   Plas Menai is the place to go to learn such matters.  Did my navigation and yachtmaster there.   :D
Cicero