Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664066 times)

Offline Linda

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4605 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »
I was walking along Mostyn St early this afternoon and, right in front of me, an older lady tripped on the uneven paving stones and fell headfirst into the road. I helped get her back onto her feet and she was obviously very distressed by it all.

The state of  the pavements is absolutely terrible and incidents like this are all too common. I've seen no substantial repairs to the Mostyn St pavements in the last ten years and the condition of them is just getting worse and worse. How about we get the basics dealt with before spending millions on white elephants like the Watersports centre?

When I was in Southport the other week, the pavements in Lord St were absolutely immaculate - such a contrast with shabby Llandudno.
I was going in Marks last week and a lady tripped along there too, I couldnt believe the state on the pavement. The council must be able to afford damage payouts but not repairs. This lady was in shaken as well.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4606 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:37 pm »

Harbour Porpoise as seen off the Little Orme August 2010.
A pod with youngsters.
They are far more frequently seen than lots realise.

Photos are amazing, such lovely creatures .We are so lucky living by the coast. I appreciate it even after 41 years of living here. Thankyou for showing them.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:15:26 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4607 on: November 19, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »
Can I ask if the Lady is going to file a complaint?  I have had lots of correspondence with CCBC on Highways matters and another complaint could help in getting things done.  :rage:
I don't know, as I went on my way once the Police turned up to assist. I would recommend that anyone suffering a trip or fall due to the state of the pavements contacts both CCBC and the relevant Councillor to complain. I know the matter has been raised with the Cabinet Member for Highways, Mike Priestley, and he is investigating funding for pavement renewal.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4608 on: November 19, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »
It is not the fault of the Councillors.  The quality of Some Officers and Staff employed by the County leave a lot to be desired.   I have found this to be particularly true of certain sections of the Highways Department.   Even complaints to the Chief Exec seem to go unheeded.   I am still awaiting a reply from almost 2 weeks ago from Mr Davies.

It is a case of "stick head in sand" and it will go away.   They even have special courses on how to avoid taking any action!     :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #4609 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:45 am »
Love the photos of the porpoises Dave, it must have been a fantastic sight for you.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4610 on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:32 am »
It is not the fault of the Councillors.
It is not their fault, but it is their responsibility. Collectively, they are there to set policies and to hold CCBC staff to account. What is to stop a Llandudno County Councillor raising the pavements issue at the next relevant Committee meeting?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4611 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:04 am »
Very rough into town this morning! A mammoth hail & rainstorm first thing left the roads very slippery & flooded. Good thing it mostly cleared before the rush hour.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4612 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:57 am »
I'm sure people think me rude, but I often walk along with my head down. Having had one nasty fall ( which I claimed for and won) I don't fancy another. Some of the pavements along Mostyn Street are like being on a see-saw and if it has rained all the mud squidges up and splashes. Thus I tend to have my eye on where I am putting my feet !

Town was quite well flooded in parts as I drove to Asda this morning.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4613 on: November 20, 2013, 11:15:28 am »
It is not the fault of the Councillors.
It is not their fault, but it is their responsibility. Collectively, they are there to set policies and to hold CCBC staff to account. What is to stop a Llandudno County Councillor raising the pavements issue at the next relevant Committee meeting?

I should have said not the "Total responsibility of   etc."
I quite agree and as I have passed on the information I am sure the item can be put on the agenda for another Meeting.  In the meantime a communication is also being sent direct to the Highways Department as urgent action could be necessary to alleviate other incidents.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4614 on: November 20, 2013, 11:24:00 am »
Good work.  $good$

Offline Minime

« Reply #4615 on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »
Very rough into town this morning! A mammoth hail & rainstorm first thing left the roads very slippery & flooded. Good thing it mostly cleared before the rush hour.

It was absolutely horrendous, I left at 7.10am and had hail, sleet, torrential rain, thunder, lightning, high winds and car was aqua planing on the a55 going uphill after rhuallt.  Terrible

Offline Minime

« Reply #4616 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »
I was walking along Mostyn St early this afternoon and, right in front of me, an older lady tripped on the uneven paving stones and fell headfirst into the road. I helped get her back onto her feet and she was obviously very distressed by it all.

The state of  the pavements is absolutely terrible and incidents like this are all too common. I've seen no substantial repairs to the Mostyn St pavements in the last ten years and the condition of them is just getting worse and worse. How about we get the basics dealt with before spending millions on white elephants like the Watersports centre?

When I was in Southport the other week, the pavements in Lord St were absolutely immaculate - such a contrast with shabby Llandudno.

Very worrying Dave.  A trip to an elderly person can be life changing and take away independence, doesnt take a lot to cause severe injury.
Perhaps send in some contrast pics of other resorts ie this is Southport lord st, this is llandudno Mostyn cres

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4617 on: November 23, 2013, 05:26:31 pm »
Has the beach on the North Shore received a quantity of sand over the past few days?   *&(

In fact, there is so much that it has started to blow onto the promenade between the lifeboat slipway and the pier.  :-}}}

Can someone please provide a second opinion when next passing?  $thanx$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4618 on: November 23, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
Probably washed in by the heavy seas we have had in last few days.  It can take it off the beach as well as putting it on which is why over time beaches maintain a similar average level.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4619 on: November 24, 2013, 07:25:24 am »
Never seen it so busy on a winter Saturday as yesterday,last saturday was not as busy so like the market or not it bought some bodies into town spending a fair bit i should imagine.