Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664743 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4635 on: November 26, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »
WG has the power to arrange extra train services from the Franchisee as long as they are happy to pay for them.

Question is, would enough people use it to make it worthwhile? Or would it just be cheaper to pay for a taxi for the few people that did want to use it?

I believe that the Conwy Valley line doesnt operate on Sundays in the Winter either. Flooding problems aside, that seems crazy to me.

They don't pay for a taxi the poor commuters like me have to pay it ourselves, they should at least make the buses free to Llandudno, even then you still have an inconveniance but it would be something.
And plenty of people would use it - about 10 people got off the 4pm train with me all needing to go to Llandudno and perplexed they couldn't

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4636 on: November 26, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
Oscar is giving the xmas lights an airing but very few people as on here give a damn really,im not sure why it bugs me really,hoteliers don;t bother,Mostyn Estates don;t bother,LLadudno regeneration partnership don;t worry so why do i,Parc Llandudno useless ,Asda nothing,yet i still cannot believe nobody in town gives a damn.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4637 on: November 26, 2013, 05:53:20 pm »
  This is the ultimate thing of course. USE It OR LOOSE IT.

There have been many bus and train services which only one person once in a blue moon ever used.
Over 25 years ago I operated a bus service around MarliinSt Asaph. Twice a week inad out. Got paid by the taxpayer around £40 a week. About 3 pax ifi was lucky.
  When it came to retendering I told the what was then clwydc.cit would be cheaper and better to go to a max of six household, tell them we will put a phoneinyour house, pay for it, and every time u want to go to st Asaph, just phone a taxi and we will pay for it. You will  save yourself a bomb.

Things are better now, but for every time ten pax want to travel from l.j. To Llandudno off season---how about all the times the train runs with no one on?  And who is going to pay for the empty trains?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4638 on: November 26, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
This Saturday is going to be very busy with Xmas Fayres.

St John's Church, St Paul's Church House, Town Hall and the Baptist Church on West Shore to name but four events.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4639 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:08 am »
  This is the ultimate thing of course. USE It OR LOOSE IT.

There have been many bus and train services which only one person once in a blue moon ever used.
Over 25 years ago I operated a bus service around MarliinSt Asaph. Twice a week inad out. Got paid by the taxpayer around £40 a week. About 3 pax ifi was lucky.
  When it came to retendering I told the what was then clwydc.cit would be cheaper and better to go to a max of six household, tell them we will put a phoneinyour house, pay for it, and every time u want to go to st Asaph, just phone a taxi and we will pay for it. You will  save yourself a bomb.

Things are better now, but for every time ten pax want to travel from l.j. To Llandudno off season---how about all the times the train runs with no one on?  And who is going to pay for the empty trains?

There's no reason why the normal hourly Manchester Picaddily train shouldn't run - even if it's put back to every two hours it would be something. it's open the other 6 days of the week - you can't tell me that Sunday is less busy that a Wednesday afternoon for example? Sunday is part of the weekend, lots of people like me will be returning from their travels. The issue of the train not being used doesn't hold water.

I would guess that the train workers get paid time and a half on Sundays and that this is the real motive behind it

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4640 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:44 am »
That's probably the reason. Manning Llandudno Station, the signalbox, the signalbox at Deganwy, the costs will soon start to add up. However, those costs will still be miniscule, when compared with amounts spent on other parts of the rail network, particularly in London/South East.

There really should be some sort of 2 hour service to Manchester as a minimum on a Sunday.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4641 on: November 27, 2013, 12:57:54 pm »
Lets get our own cinema,sunday market ,give eople a reason to come to Llandudno on a winter Sunday and Arriva Wales will soon get trains running.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4642 on: November 27, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
Lets get our own cinema,sunday market ,give eople a reason to come to Llandudno on a winter Sunday and Arriva Wales will soon get trains running.

What about the coming back here! I don't find Llandudno at all interesting so I'm away pretty much every weekend but I still have to come back here  $walesflag$ About time someone did something for people who lived here and not just visitors

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4643 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:50 am »
Can I ask if the Lady is going to file a complaint?  I have had lots of correspondence with CCBC on Highways matters and another complaint could help in getting things done.  :rage:
I don't know, as I went on my way once the Police turned up to assist. I would recommend that anyone suffering a trip or fall due to the state of the pavements contacts both CCBC and the relevant Councillor to complain. I know the matter has been raised with the Cabinet Member for Highways, Mike Priestley, and he is investigating funding for pavement renewal.
It seems that our efforts to highlight this issue are bearing fruit:

Judith Phillips ‏@WeeklyNewsJude
Taskforce to be set up to deal with Llandudno's dangerous pavements. See today's North Wales Weekly News for the story.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4644 on: November 28, 2013, 10:20:10 pm »

St John's Church, St Paul's Church House, Town Hall and the Baptist Church on West Shore to name but four events.

I understand there is also a Xmas Fayre this Saturday in Trinity Church.  VV

If so, that makes five.  I*

I bet there will be none locally the following Saturday.  %0%

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4645 on: November 29, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »

I understand there is also a Xmas Fayre this Saturday in Trinity Church.  VV

If so, that makes five.  I*

I bet there will be none locally the following Saturday.  %0%

Holy Trinity's was on Sat. 16th November, and so was Gloddaeth United.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4646 on: November 29, 2013, 04:00:09 pm »
I have seen the Holy Trinity Church recently advertised for tomorrow somewhere, Stan, and if I come across it again I will let you know where it was.

As for Gloddaeth United then I shall not dispute that fact except to say I did not mention that church on my list for tomorrow.

However, while I can understand all the shops starting Xmas these days in October/November, I am surprised to learn from you that some religious establishments locally are now choosing to have their Xmas Fayres in mid-November.  :o

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4647 on: November 29, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
Bri, it might be that an outside organisation, charity or other has hired the church hall for one.

Christmas fairs have started from the middle of November onwards certainly in recent years. At Holy Trinity we try to avoid clashing with the Hospice one and generally hold it on the Saturday before.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4648 on: November 29, 2013, 06:03:06 pm »
Never mind Bri, your good old town council don;t seem to be puting their xmas tree lights on till the 7th so somebody is sticking to protocol,shame tomorrow is the buisiest shopping day and we ain;t turned on our xmas tree lights yet,ho ho

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4649 on: November 29, 2013, 06:17:23 pm »
They all seemed to be on when I was in town earlier/