Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664038 times)

Offline Dave

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4545 on: November 13, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
This afternoon at about 2.30 whilst driving along the promenade, I saw a small group of men standing on the pavement close to the Lifeboat Slipway, as if waiting for transport or to be picked up.  They had with them a number of largish net sacks which, at a guess, I would say contained mussels.

I was not aware that mussel collecting was allowed on North Shore and I would certainly not eat any from there.  Does anyone know if such activity is allowed?   WWW

I haven't a clue about the regulations but it's not just mussels that are being collected. I see men putting out quite long nets both near the pier and over at Rhos.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4546 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:02 pm »
Re the Mussels.  I think if anyone has concerns about collecting seafood on an industrial scale they ought to contact the Harbour Master, Matthew Forbes, at Conwy.  He will know the answers and who to contact if enforcement is needed.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4547 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:36 pm »
Found this :

THE WELSH MINISTERS GIVE NOTICE THAT, pursuant to Byelaw 13A of the former North Western and North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee1, the mussel (Mytilis edulis) beds in the area defined below (“the Area”) are closed to mussel fishing with effect from 23.59 on 4th September 2013 until 23:59 on 31st August 2014.

The map shows the Conwy Estuary but I suppose any other area nearby would also be affected, including Llanduno Bay.   ZXZ

I'll miss my mussels.   ?{}?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4548 on: November 13, 2013, 07:00:06 pm »
i was walking up the prom this morning seen a guy going in/out of the water below the bandstand , got nearer noticed he was putting fish in a bag looked like the garden waste bag ,he must have had a line out ,youngsters went along taking pics of him with the fish,never seen that before.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4549 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:14 am »
Funny ! Yorkie and norman08 mention these activities going on in Llandudno. Today as i was walking from my car towards Rhos  and i noticed what looked like 2 either nets or lines set close into shore(thought this sort of thing either was banned or should be at low water) wondered what they were with white tiny floats supporting ,then low and behold our local resident seal appeared in the water only about 20 meters out and proceeded to feed there for about half an hour ,so who ever set the lines would be disappointed  ;D . My only concern was that the seal didnt get caught or tangled in the net ,line whatever. I waited a while till i saw him or her eventually swim away unscathed i think. This practice should be outlawed as it was too close and birds, seals and inquisitive dogs could be hurt. If anyone has any info as to what is going on, this was by the Cayley Promenade , let us know. Curious, altho i have seen  van loads of mussels being taken from Rhos point quite recently.  These looked like nets and set high up the beach.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4550 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:28 am »
This afternoon at about 2.30 whilst driving along the promenade, I saw a small group of men standing on the pavement close to the Lifeboat Slipway, as if waiting for transport or to be picked up.  They had with them a number of largish net sacks which, at a guess, I would say contained mussels.

I was not aware that mussel collecting was allowed on North Shore and I would certainly not eat any from there.  Does anyone know if such activity is allowed?   WWW

I haven't a clue about the regulations but it's not just mussels that are being collected. I see men putting out quite long nets both near the pier and over at Rhos.
Just seen your Post Dave! after i have written mine! The seal i saw today had a ball with the nets at rhos  _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4551 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:24 am »
An enquiry has been made to the Holyhead Fisheries Control Centre.   All seems a bit like an organised operation to me.  Other places have recently had similar problems with illegal fishing.  I particularly would not like some of these mussels to get in the food chain.   >>>
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4552 on: November 14, 2013, 08:20:49 am »
Went for a walk along the Prom just now, rough seas at North Shore this morning. Some of the poppy wreaths had blown off the Cenotaph, I put them back into place. The prom outside Venue Cymru is closed today for Wales Rally GB preparations, contractors are already there struggling to put up bunting in the strong winds!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4553 on: November 14, 2013, 08:29:26 am »
Re the Mussels.  I think if anyone has concerns about collecting seafood on an industrial scale they ought to contact the Harbour Master, Matthew Forbes, at Conwy.  He will know the answers and who to contact if enforcement is needed.

About 12 months ago we contacted the Harbour Master because of the vast volume of empty red sacks floating in the sea between Rhos Point and Penrhyn Bay. Like others here it worried us that the wildlife would come to harm.
We did get a reply and haven't seen any since, but didn't get any answers as to why they were there and what they were being used for.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4554 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:20 pm »
Found this :

THE WELSH MINISTERS GIVE NOTICE THAT, pursuant to Byelaw 13A of the former North Western and North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee1, the mussel (Mytilis edulis) beds in the area defined below (“the Area”) are closed to mussel fishing with effect from 23.59 on 4th September 2013 until 23:59 on 31st August 2014.

The map shows the Conwy Estuary but I suppose any other area nearby would also be affected, including Llanduno Bay.   ZXZ

I'll miss my mussels.   ?{}?
You could try weight lifting at the local Gym Yorkie   :twoface:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4555 on: November 14, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »

You could try weight lifting at the local Gym Yorkie   :twoface:

I'ii just wait for a Bus, that's the only lift I need!  And it's free!   :D
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4556 on: November 14, 2013, 04:06:19 pm »
Just returned from Town and already it's traffic chaos with just a short part of the prom outside the Theatre closed!   $angry$
Cicero

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #4557 on: November 14, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »
Me too,bit of a divertion but hardly chaos!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4558 on: November 14, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »
Ive just returned from the Rally, will post some photos shortly.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4559 on: November 14, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »
Me too,bit of a divertion but hardly chaos! 

So Yorkie is lying?  Exaggerating?  Just a fool?  Or Mike is being picky and pedantic!  Take your pick!

I suppose the degree of chaos, depends on how one on found it at the time.  Traffic was backed up from ASDA down to Mostyn Broadway, along to the Boulevard and then for a good way up towards the Links.  Maybe going towards the Orme wasn't as bad.  It's there for another few days, so will no doubt get worse as people and competitors come into town.

Still the town needs the business, so I hope all goes well.   :D
Cicero