Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663684 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3270 on: December 03, 2012, 08:51:09 pm »
Still don;t know what the parade was like,did anyone see it.

I didn't bother to go having witnessed other feeble attempts in past years.   I am still of the opinion that one of the local organisations such as the Tablers or Lions could organise a really good and worthwhile parade with entertainment.   

As no one is talking about the 2012 effort, one can only presume it was rubbish!    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3271 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:12 pm »
Still don;t know what the parade was like,did anyone see it.
I didn't see it but almost certainly some Star Wars storm troopers were involved!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3272 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »
The response to the Parade on the Llandudno Facebook group was not great.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3273 on: December 03, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
The feedback I have had regarding the Xmas parade involved the words, 'terrible' and 'embarrassment'

I have never missed the Xmas parade in previous years, and there have always been brightly lit buses or traction engines from bygone years, (as with the Extravaganza), plus lots of kids on nicely adorned floats.

Well, I have been told that this year, the head of the parade was the old Orme Tour Bus, you know the burgundy one which operates every day from the pier gates.  No brightly lit trams or suchlike.
Also, there were few, if any floats,  and the main memory of the people I spoke to was of the ridiculous and shabby looking Star Wars Stormtroopers!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3274 on: December 03, 2012, 11:18:12 pm »
I guessed right then! I saw it last year and didn't think much of it, but then my middle name is Scrooge!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3275 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:40 am »
I went !

It was led by two Rolls Royces, one old, one newer. Queen Victoria was in one. There were a load of children doing cartwheels with daffodils on their heads. Daffodils? Christmas?
Bagpipers who looked rather jolly with  lights draped round their instruments.
2 land trains full of children.
A donkey and cart and some more donkeys.
A 4x4 towing a trailer full of children dressed in Alice type costumes.
Dogs as therapy with bits of tinsel etc.
The cast or members of same of Aladdin-- colourful and were interacting with the crowd. As were the group of people walking along in Alice costumes.
By the Town Hall The Blessed William Davis' pupils were singing with the Llandudno band under a snow machine which was making an awful grating noise !!

Now I think I have remembered what I saw although by the time I had been standing on the corner for a while I was perished. I did also try and take some pics, but too many people were shoving to the front for me to get anything decent.
If I have forgotten anybody, or anything I apologise, my brain froze !

PS I don't like Christmas.  Can't you tell? ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3276 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:49 am »
Nice one Nem!

Its always better to have a first hand account, it sounds slightly better than the report related to me.
Fester...

Offline jemima

« Reply #3277 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »
The feedback I have had regarding the Xmas parade involved the words, 'terrible' and 'embarrassment'

I have never missed the Xmas parade in previous years, and there have always been brightly lit buses or traction engines from bygone years, (as with the Extravaganza), plus lots of kids on nicely adorned floats.

Well, I have been told that this year, the head of the parade was the old Orme Tour Bus, you know the burgundy one which operates every day from the pier gates.  No brightly lit trams or suchlike.
Also, there were few, if any floats,  and the main memory of the people I spoke to was of the ridiculous and shabby looking Star Wars Stormtroopers!

There was no brightly lit tram this year, as the vehicle which usually tows it in the parade (the 1943 AEC Matador) , is out of action.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3278 on: December 04, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »
Nice one Nem!

Its always better to have a first hand account, it sounds slightly better than the report related to me.

Tks Fes. I can't say that I was thrilled with it, but having been mixed up with various parades and carnivals in the past I know how much work and effort goes into such a thing, so wouldn't presume to be critical. The big problem was the fact that whoever's job it was, let the traffic down Mostyn Street (past WH Smith's) and it hadn't got away before the parade came round the Carleton corner. Thus there was somewhat of a hold up. Think some of the bus/coach drivers were getting somewhat shirty at being held up.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3279 on: December 04, 2012, 05:31:03 pm »
No Star Wars storm troopers this year ?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3280 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »

They've cybered off to another galaxy, thank goodness!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3281 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

I was informed that the Storm Troopers were definitely in the FESTIVE Parade!   Crazy.
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3282 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you Yorkie, I did see 3 of them, 2 men and  a girl with blue hair :o, it slipped my mind ! Another crew that I can't associate with Christmas.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #3283 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »
I was hoping someone might have posted a video of the Christmas parade on 'youtube' as in previous years but I have not seen one as yet. I did notice, however, a 2007 film clip of the parade with the Stormtroopers! :roll: Unfortunately I was ill and not able to go to the parade this year but I have been to previous ones.

I have come across quite a few comments expressing people's disappointment in the parade, lights, fayre etc - is it not possible for business owners/residents to form a group to assist (not criticise) the authorities that run these events? As I do not live in Llandudno and no longer work or run a business from the town, I feel it is not my place to get involved (I have lots of ideas I'd be happy to share as I am sure many people have). I do shop in Llandudno from time to time though. I went Christmas shopping to town last week, the whole experience left me deflated and I will not be repeating that expedition  :(

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3284 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »
So sad to hear Paulakelsall;s views,but that is exactly how i feel,as you all know i winge about the xmas festivities laid on by this council and asyou know i tried to improve the lights when on the council and since with no interest whatsoever.I was in Leeds for the weekend and what a buzz there was,they had a few empty shops same as most places,but the xmas atmosphere was brilliant,i must have come across at least 5 brass bands playing in different locations,how many brass bands has our town council laid on for the festive season,i tried to get the lights improved with little sucess,just take Bog Island as ONE excample,small tree hidden as you come down Mostyn st behind the toilet block and not visible as you come down Conwy rd,move the tree over 10 feetand get a bigger tree,just one small improvement and that tree would stand out,no thought and no interest.The parade is a two hour package and that is it,nothing for the rest of the day and nothing for the whole of the festive season,what is the point in getting on the town council when they do nothing for the good of the resort.