Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2667386 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3255 on: November 28, 2012, 10:46:51 am »
Older buildings have more spiders in the brickwork..... therefore new builds are far superior!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3256 on: November 28, 2012, 11:17:44 am »
OMG Fester-- you break me up !!! ;D ;D ;D
Plenty big ones coming in for the winter!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3257 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »
yes but do the new ones keep the moths out ?

Offline Gaylord Screwsby

« Reply #3258 on: November 28, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »
The worst building I think the country has seen is the so called "unity" or "industrialised" construction of housing stock during the 1960's.  This was the system of quick build using concrete units made in a factory, such as the Skarne method that emanated from Scandinavia.  Apart from housing it was also used on multi-storey flats which were later considered as anti-social housing.   Most of this type of building stopped when there was a collapse of the Ronan Point flats in 1968 due to a gas explosion.   

This building method started to show signs of deterioration long before its expected life span, with rusting steelwork and disintegrating concrete.

Some Unity houses are still available on the market but generally only to cash buyers who can afford to virtually rebuild them.

There's quite a few methods of non-traditional construction that become popular after the war, most of it now sadly designated defective and usually not mortgageable. I'm not convinced that the current trend for timber framed housing will last as long as a 'proper' house.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #3259 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »
Link to an interesting blog on the debate of old v new property

http://surveyingproperty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/older-house-or-modern-house-quirky-can.html?spref=tw

I have lived in a new build house (purchased from the developer) and an old cottage (200+ years old). I find most new houses 'souless' as they tend to be 'off the shelf' boxes in design, however, I do agree when new they are easier to maintain. I would add though that the second you move into a new build it becomes a 'second hand' property and, say within 10 years, will require some works or upgrading. The new build will no longer meet the modern standards or tastes and trends. All properties require some maintenance.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3260 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:16 am »
                    While cycling past the junction of Oxford Road and Argyll Road in Llandudno about 10 days ago I hit a pothole about 6" deep and 12" wide which caused me to swerve suddenly. I went back to look at it and then went into the Police Station which is right opposite and reported it to the Officer on duty at the desk. He asked me for the details and the whereabouts of the hole and said he would get back to me. When I got home about an hour later there was a message on my answerphone assuring me that the Highways Dept. had been informed and action would be taken. I went past there the next day and the pothole had been filled in; whether that was because the Police had reported it I couldn't say but I was very impressed with the service from both them and the Highways Dept.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3261 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:46 am »
Same thing happened to me. A few years ago I fell down a hole in the pavement badly injuring my face and hands. It was reported and within days was filled. Perhaps it was the threat of legal action? :-X

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3262 on: December 02, 2012, 11:28:11 am »
              I never thought about that aspect of the incident at the time Nemisis, though as I recall the officer did ask me at least twice if I had actually come off my bike and injured myself so you could be right. I only posted the incidenton the Forum after reading the "how to use the fix my street" thread earlier this morning.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3263 on: December 02, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
  And what a nice face (and hands) to be damaged Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3264 on: December 02, 2012, 11:46:55 am »
  I'm glad to read that you had satisfaction after your accident. I'm afraid though that a lot of similar accidents are not treated so kindly because of this terrible compensation culture which has sprung up.
  Its been around for a good time. Around 30 years ago when I had my shop in Towyn I was aware of an incedent outside. A  woman was on the ground in what appeared to be pain. Ambulance came and went with her. Incedent forgotten.
  A good time afterwards, maybe six months, a couple of officials turn up, I suppose from the Council. Asked me if I remembered anything about it, which I only dimly did. I found out afterwards that she was a professional tripper. Apparently she had had an accident, but not in Towyn.  No, in Sheffield or wherever she lived.  Whilst she still had the grazes fresh she had set about delibrately looking for a damaged bit of road, ripping off the dressings, and then getting down in the hole.  To see what she could pick up financially.
   I imagine she would have had to act fast before scabs etc formed, or perhaps, in those days, ambulance men etc were not as jaundiced as they probably are nowadays  Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3265 on: December 02, 2012, 12:41:14 pm »
  And what a nice face (and hands) to be damaged Mike

Thanks Mike( you flatterer !)
Wish I'd known then what I do now-- my knees were never any trouble before I fell onto them !

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3266 on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
No mention of the xmas parade,how did it go,was it a success,i noticed there are no lights on the Libary trees or bog island trees but hey ho having just been to Leeds ive just come to the conclusion that this council will never tryt.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3267 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »
I went into Llandudno early this evening to collect the Mrs and I might just as well have been in Blackwall Tunnel.   The illuminations, or decorative lighting as the Council dare to call them, we're just non existent.  The whole of Mostyn Street was dark and gloomy, and the most unwelcoming  main shopping street I have ever seen.   I just hope the shopkeepers aren't banking on a spending boom in the town, 'cos I don't think it's going to happen. 

Blame the Councils (yes, both of them) - a rate strike would not go amiss. WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3268 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »
The uniforms guy with the monkey in the pram is back in action..he was today dressed as Darth Vader.  :laugh:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3269 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »
Still don;t know what the parade was like,did anyone see it.