Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664074 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3225 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:19 am »
Drove up to Rhyl and back yesterday (Matalan-- it's time we had one !) and alot of the coast roads were badly flooded.

re windows:- we live in a listed building and therefore have to suffer the draughty old original windows. When we bought the place many moons ago we looked into replacing them. No way-- even then we were told that if we put the wrong ones in they would have to come back out. Plastic was completely out and Heritage hardwood sash windows were way beyond reason. We also have to gain permission from Mostyns to change any exterior paint colours. BUT-- we knew when we bought the place and haven't tried to flout the rules.

Is there any way of putting internal double glazing, so keeping the exterior the same?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3226 on: November 26, 2012, 10:09:07 am »
Drove up to Rhyl and back yesterday (Matalan-- it's time we had one !) and alot of the coast roads were badly flooded.

re windows:- we live in a listed building and therefore have to suffer the draughty old original windows. When we bought the place many moons ago we looked into replacing them. No way-- even then we were told that if we put the wrong ones in they would have to come back out. Plastic was completely out and Heritage hardwood sash windows were way beyond reason. We also have to gain permission from Mostyns to change any exterior paint colours. BUT-- we knew when we bought the place and haven't tried to flout the rules.

Is there any way of putting internal double glazing, so keeping the exterior the same?

http://www.sashwindowheritage.co.uk/glazing

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3227 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:25 am »

http://www.sashwindowheritage.co.uk/glazing

$thanx$

Problem solved! :D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3228 on: November 26, 2012, 10:18:08 am »
we live in a listed building and therefore have to suffer the draughty old original windows.

I accept listing is essential for maintaining the desired appearance of older towns but there are two issues I have: firstly, there has to be a half-way house between mindless insistence on compliance and the needs of those who live in such places to enjoy a reasonably warm and dry existence without squandering energy needlessly. The second point, however, is more controversial, and concerns architecture and design. Why, I wonder, do we list so many older buildings? What is actually wrong with the new? After all, these older building were new, once, and newly designed places can be just as beautiful and aesthetically sound as crumbling wrecks. Perhaps it's time to allows new developments, sympathetically created rather than simply insisting on compliance with some remote concept of what is appropriate.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3229 on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:09 am »
People like old buildings, they were generally designed and built to a far better standard of construction.

No-one is saying that the buildings shouldn't be double glazed, are they? Just that it should be done properly, instead of using cheap uPvc.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3230 on: November 26, 2012, 10:31:10 am »
Mmmmm---- a few points here
a) we aren't a crumbling wreck-- my OH spends his life repairing and maintaining our building. The listing is due mainly to the age of the building, but we also have an important historical link to a famous Llandudno person.
b) when we bought the place the cost of heritage windows was beyond what we could pay, having had to replace the roof, drainage system, rewire and other major jobs just to stay open !
c) Jobs like window replacement cannot be carried out whilst a business is open.
d) Now we are both of retirement age, such a job would not be undertaken lightly, common sense prevails and since my OH fitted proper window catches and other draught products we keep warm enough.
e) Our part of the house and the garage have just had brand new roofs fitted ( by an excellent firm) so at least we are safe and dry.
f) Listed buildings cannot have any internal alterations without permission. Thus no knocking walls down inside to make rooms bigger !!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3231 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:01 pm »
People like old buildings, they were generally designed and built to a far better standard of construction.

I'm not sure.  Some people might like them but I'd be very surprised if they were in a majority. But in terms of construction, then I definitely take issue.  Modern buildings constructed to current building regs are generally more energy efficient, cheaper to run and just as solid as the brick-built homes of the 1930s, and the foundations and damp-proofing are generally far superior.  I've lived in houses built in the 1870s, the 1930s, the 1950s and the 1990s and I know which I prefer. Older properties are prone to a lot of problems and it can - as Nemesis implies - become a full time occupation simply staying abreast of what needs doing. 

No-one is saying that the buildings shouldn't be double glazed, are they? Just that it should be done properly, instead of using cheap uPvc.

What about expensive UPVC? The thing is, like any, material, you tend to get what you pay for.  In one of our places we had hardwood windows throughout. But living in an exposed and high location meant that water seeped through in storms, so we had them replaced with Everest uPVC. It wasn't cheap, but for our money we got a house that was warmer, drier and quieter than it had been with hardwood. If the correct grades and colour of uPVC are used, I seriously doubt anyone can tell the difference between them and hardwood unless they get right up close.  As I understand it some of these windows CCBC is insisting be replaced are on second and third floors.  I cannot see any justification for having those removed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3232 on: November 26, 2012, 08:19:39 pm »
Well, I think perhaps the 3.7million members of the National Trust might be quite fond of old buildings....  :laugh:

Just as solid? Like you, I've lived in houses built from various periods, and the most solid was undoubtedly the little terraced house from the late 1800s at 99 Llysfaen Road in Colwyn Bay that I grew up in. Given a choice between that and a flimsy modern house, I know which one I'd rather be in during severe weather!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3233 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:55 pm »
One day there may be a blue plaque on that house!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3234 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:07 pm »
I never seem to like modern buildings, just look at that new eyesore on the seafront at Colwyn Bay!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3235 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »
What about the awful state of most of the castles.  Almost wrecks the lot of them.  So much for old buildings, :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3236 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:32 pm »
Some enterprising double glazing salesman should visit the castles etc!  :D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3237 on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:17 am »
Well, I think perhaps the 3.7million members of the National Trust might be quite fond of old buildings....

True, but d'you have any solid information about the remaining 68 million?  :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3238 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29:44 am »
Well, I think perhaps the 3.7million members of the National Trust might be quite fond of old buildings....

True, but d'you have any solid information about the remaining 68 million?  :D
Hmmm...do you? 8)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3239 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:52 am »
I don't have to - I'm not the one wheeling out figures...  WWW WWW WWW