Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663861 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3165 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »
Oh dear-- what a lot of hot air !
I came from England, worked darned hard for umpteen years, I speak Spanish and French and quite a few Welsh words and phrases. I have never been to Welsh classes, mainly because when you are working 7am till many a time 11 at night they don't seem to hold them at the right time ! :(
Always, mainly because I make the effort, I have felt to be able to integrate and as most of you know I am obsessed with Welsh history and hopefully know a fair bit about the locality.
By Gum lass-- you should go to Yorkshire-- they throw sods at strangers there-- call 'em in-commed-uns !! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3166 on: November 15, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »
Im looking forward to seeing the Daffodil capitol of Wales next year,its a great idea and will look good for a month( im not sure if that is right) but how are they going to market it,some times their out early and some times late so im just wondering how the council are going to do it. Im notpicking just curious,im sure all our English visitors will love them. D)

Good point Wrex-- Farndale daffs can vary by a month depending on the weather.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3167 on: November 15, 2012, 04:13:31 pm »

As a matter of interest, how many forum users have moved to Wales from England and can speak Welsh?

I think many will agree, including the Welsh, that it is one of the most difficult languages to master.  And, if as you say, those moving here are of the older generation, such as I, they are unlikely to want to learn a new language.  I find many are, however, interested in the history and culture of the country.

Perhaps if the Welsh language were not thrust upon us immigrants, we would take a greater interest.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #3168 on: November 15, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »
Whenever I have asked for a word to be repeated so I could try to pronounce it properly the person involved said it again but just as quickly somehow seeming to enjoy my struggle.
Try saying,        ETRURIA      WYBUNBURY    CHOLMONDLEY 
Go over to Cheshire and Staffordshire, they won't laugh at you but they will try to help you to pronounce the words properly.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3169 on: November 15, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »
Or even try Scotland with the one word Kirkudbright!  Or what about Strathaven or can a Welshman or woman correctly pronounce Edinburgh?

Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3170 on: November 15, 2012, 05:02:38 pm »
Uh ho... Can open.... worms everywhere!!!

To answer your question Dave, I can only count to six in Welsh, which I recall is one less than you..  D) D)

Diolch Yn Fawr!  $walesflag$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3171 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »
Perhaps if the Welsh language were not thrust upon us immigrants, we would take a greater interest.
How is it thrust upon you? I'm intrigued....

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3172 on: November 15, 2012, 07:15:50 pm »
Whenever I have asked for a word to be repeated so I could try to pronounce it properly the person involved said it again but just as quickly somehow seeming to enjoy my struggle.
Try saying,        ETRURIA      WYBUNBURY    CHOLMONDLEY 
Go over to Cheshire and Staffordshire, they won't laugh at you but they will try to help you to pronounce the words properly.
I imagine if you had lived in the area for 25 years though, as the women in Eglwysbach had, you would be conversant with the pronunciation of the various names?  ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3173 on: November 15, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »

In that case I will leave you to with your thoughts on the matter and leave a full justification for the comment until we are able to have a tete a tete.   :D

Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3174 on: November 15, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »

In that case I will leave you to with your thoughts on the matter and leave a full justification for the comment until we are able to have a tete a tete.   :D
Nicely dodged.  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3175 on: November 15, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »

Nicely dodged.  $good$

To save boring the readers with a 1500 word diatribe, lets meet up!   Most days, almost anytime will do me.   >>>
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3176 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »
the English pensioners who come to live here make absolutely no attempt to integrate and after years should be able to pronounce most names.

Why?  Language is dynamic, and pronunciation isn't set in stone.  English (and Scottish) place names are pronounced differently according to which region of the United Kingdom  people originate from. South Wales pronunciation, for instance, is often quite different from North Wales. D'you seriously think you're unique in your self-righteous indignation? This goes on across the United Kingdom.  There really are more important things in life than how someone pronounces a place name.

They are also a huge drain on the social services infrastucture of the county, free prescriptions and district nurses are over stretched.

But these are United Kingdom citizens, who - presumably - have paid their national insurance and taxes towards the upkeep of the United Kingdom for the whole of their working lives and who now actively contribute through their taxes, spending power and participation in the local communities.  What gives you the right to decide in which part of the United Kingdom citizenry ought to be allowed to live? 

Many live in caravans and don't pay countil taxes so I think I' entitled to whinge.

Do you have any evidence for that? I'd be interested to see it, if you have.  What proportion of the population live in caravans, what is their nationality, what proportion pay taxes and NI?  If you can't produce evidence, then you're simply being prejudiced, racist and bigoted. And that has no place in this forum.

It's not racisem it's aboyt fairness and erwealising that you live in a foreign country with its own customs and traditions and you should at least try and take part and make a contribution.

Sorry - so you really think Wales is a 'foreign country'?  Have you any idea what constitutes a 'foreign country'? In the dictionary definition, it's "any state of which one is not a citizen".  Now, that would mean you would not be a UK citizen, nor entitled to hold a UK passport.  Anyone who is, however, is as much entitled to live in Wales, Scotland or England as anyone else. To suggest otherwise is - as I've said - bigoted, racist and ignorant.

I'd like to see them get away with it in France or Spain.

Well, you've clearly not lived among the ex-pat communities in those countries because, otherwise, you'd know that they do. 

This sort of divisive, ignorant posting is what causes most of the problems in the world today.  From Arabs and Israelis, to Chinese and Taiwanese, the two most powerful forces responsible for death and destruction on this planet are Nationalism embodied in Language and religion. The sooner everyone wakes up to the fact that this is a small world and we're all part of it, the sooner we'll all learn to live together.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:52:23 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #3177 on: November 15, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »
WOW Ian, that's sorted that out.
I wish that I could have put it so eloquently.
Well done sir.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3178 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:00 am »
Indeed Tosh.

I have had my posts dissected and dismantled by Ian in a similar way in the past... it hurts, but its impressive.
(Cough, cough, fake lunar landings)  :laugh:

On this occasion I have to applaud every word he writes.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3179 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:16 am »
On this occasion I have to applaud every word he writes.
Really?  ?{}?