Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663943 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #2850 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »
You have to laugh; on this page of the Town Council's website, they even spell Llandudno as 'Llanduidno':

http://www.llandudno.gov.uk/wales-in-bloom/wales-in-bloom-2012-results

Truly awful.... &shake&

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2851 on: September 04, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »
I see their pictures at the top of the page still show Penmorfa standing! Also their picture of the North Shore beach shows no weed / algae, how out of date is that?  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2852 on: September 04, 2012, 02:00:06 pm »
You have to laugh; on this page of the Town Council's website, they even spell Llandudno as 'Llanduidno':
Truly awful.... &shake&

The speelin of meny a Kownsillor leevs a lott two bee dishired.  Punk chew ashun; is, allso ! Sumtymes , not write?  Was it", _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2853 on: September 04, 2012, 03:24:18 pm »
We saw the floral clock today, and I was surprised to see it's a very old and well-tested design. The fingers of the clock require small bedding plants in them, but it's clearly too late for this year. However, the whole Alice themed concept is superb. It's clear that the floral clock is intended to be the Rabbit's pocket watch, and the other Alice statues around are remarkable and exquisitely done. The timing might well have been out, but the emergence of the older-folk holiday period that starts this week is a great time to introduce the Alice theme and I really think the Llandudno Councillors have done extremely well, if it was they who originated the concept.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2854 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:31 pm »
...... The timing might well have been out, but the emergence of the older-folk holiday period that starts this week is a great time to introduce the Alice theme and I really think the Llandudno Councillors have done extremely well, if it was they who originated the concept.

Llandudno Town Council would not have had the foresight to originate or even organise such an enterprise.   Look at the cock up they make of the Alice themed Xmas lights!  Also they would not have had the budget to undertake the project.  &shake&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2855 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:18 pm »
We saw the floral clock today, and I was surprised to see it's a very old and well-tested design. The fingers of the clock require small bedding plants in them, but it's clearly too late for this year. However, the whole Alice themed concept is superb. It's clear that the floral clock is intended to be the Rabbit's pocket watch, and the other Alice statues around are remarkable and exquisitely done. The timing might well have been out, but the emergence of the older-folk holiday period that starts this week is a great time to introduce the Alice theme and I really think the Llandudno Councillors have done extremely well, if it was they who originated the concept.

Hi Ian,
It was nice to see you, (and Mrs Ian) again today.
You are a tall chap, and you can likely see most of the floral clock from your lofty standpoint.
But, at 5ft 9in, I can see less than a quarter of the face of the clock.
As for the children, they will surely see none of it.
Don't you think that is a fundamental error in the planning of this attraction?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #2856 on: September 05, 2012, 01:28:39 am »
Hi Ian,
It was nice to see you, (and Mrs Ian) again today.
You are a tall chap, and you can likely see most of the floral clock from your lofty standpoint.
But, at 5ft 9in, I can see less than a quarter of the face of the clock.
As for the children, they will surely see none of it.

I have to agree about the setting of the clock. I'm 5ft.1ns, and couldn't really see anything! Nice idea but a bit more thought as to the angle of the face would have been nice,

Just added the quotes:  all you need to do is highlight the text you want to enclose in quotes, then click the little quote icon above.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:53:20 am by Ian »
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #2857 on: September 05, 2012, 01:32:10 am »
I don't post on here usually, sorry, don't know how to put the quote in a box ( I'm sure you know what I mean!)
 was trying to quote Fester.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2858 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

I've seen these before, Fester, and the problem is that for the hands to be planted with flowers, the clock can't be too much out of horizontal. Not sure what the solution is.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2859 on: September 05, 2012, 08:21:39 am »
It's not perfect, but when the fencing is removed, people will be able to get closer and view it properly.

It still says 10.13am though.

Online mull

• Management board member
« Reply #2860 on: September 05, 2012, 08:47:28 am »
At least it shows the right time twice day. ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2861 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:20 am »
I see some idiots have damaged the flower bed next to the toilets at Bog Island by jumping all over it.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2862 on: September 05, 2012, 11:05:14 am »
I see some idiots have damaged the flower bed next to the toilets at Bog Island by jumping all over it.

That's why we lost heart with the Happy Valley Gardens. Every week-end throughout the summer for years now we have watched uncontrolled children being allowed to run riot by their parent(s). Flowerbeds, such as they were, didn't impede their progress one little bit. They were almost capable of doing as much damage as the Goats and the Gardeners combined. And before you ask, no we haven’t joined friends of the Happy Valley as that would be a complete waste of our time.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2863 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:22 am »
Cheer up, Blongb, you're like a black cloud hovering over the town! Vandalism is, fortunately, still relatively rare, and may have even decreased in recent years.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #2864 on: September 05, 2012, 12:31:40 pm »
Yeah, some things are better I think. I remember a lot more graffiti back in the 80s and 90s for example, with random 'tags' appearing around the town quite often. Vandalism of that variety seems to have gone out of fashion.