Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664011 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1890 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57:25 am »
Yes Bri they do,so when it comes to something important they can;t vote or disscuss it so that;s another reason for there to be no county councillors on town councils.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1891 on: December 28, 2011, 12:15:56 pm »
In answer to Bri's remarks. . . .

The County's publicity on asking "do you want to be a councillor"  is just a load of rubbish and a way of maybe vetting interested people and getting them to join a specific group!    More recruitment than mentoring!

Declarations of interest only occur very rarely and do not affect whether one is both a County and Town Councillor as their policy should be the same for both.  Declarations of Interest are specific to any "personal" conflicts the Councillor may have with regard to their own declared interests, such as clubs or organisations or businesses in which they may have interests.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1892 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »
Do you two former and experienced town councillors advocate a modernisation of the current role, duties and responsibilities of a Town Councillor for Llandudno?

If so, where does one start?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1893 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:06 pm »
Maybe Bri we could make the councillors get up and speak on every subject,because somecouncillors never ever say a word,this may put of people who are only standing for the party and being told you don;t have to do anything as long as my party gets the most seats.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1894 on: December 28, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
The idea of it being anything like a democracy will remain a farce at local level as long as the voters persist in backing political parties rather than people.

I believe all Town and County Councillors should be independents.

I also believe that no person should be allowed to be both a Town and a County Councillor.

I would not vote without knowing what side the candidate was on. 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1895 on: December 28, 2011, 05:02:47 pm »

As I am on the side of my local constituants and not a Party, I presume therefore I could not count on your vote?
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1896 on: December 28, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »
Do you two former and experienced town councillors advocate a modernisation of the current role, duties and responsibilities of a Town Councillor for Llandudno?

I believe that the Local Councils, as they exist, are totally ineffective and an unneccessary tier of Government.  I hope that answers your question. ;)
Cicero

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #1897 on: December 28, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »
I think our administration would be much more effective with smaller units of local government. I'm prehistoric enough to have worked in pre-Maud councils and, despite the theories of larger unit cost effectiveness, I'm certain they were much better - small enough to have short lines of communication and much better chances of the councillors and officers being known locally. In the huge county councils we have now, hidden away in their depths there are thousands of useless idiots who just get shuffled around pointlessly and multiple tiers of management, most of which are functionless tokens.

So, I would go back to county councils the size of district councils with a rebuilding fully involving ordinary local people with local power. Anyway, the Localism Act will bring about many changes when it is realised how many far-reaching power shifts it mandates. 
Micox

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1898 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »

I believe that the Local Councils, as they exist, are totally ineffective and an unneccessary tier of Government.  I hope that answers your question. ;)

Yorkie, please forgive me but I believe you have only half-answered my question.

Is it possible to change it and if so, where does one start?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1899 on: December 28, 2011, 07:36:30 pm »

Yorkie, please forgive me but I believe you have only half-answered my question.

Is it possible to change it and if so, where does one start?

I thought by saying I think they are unnessessary, you would realise that I cannot conceive of having anything to change!

I do however think, like Micox, that something possibly the size of the old Aberconwy Council would be a better solution, but of course I am not an expert on Local or National Government matters! 
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1900 on: December 28, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »
A town like Llandudno would benefit from having many of the responsibilities of CCBC relating to the presentation of public areas (an essential thing to get right for any tourist town) like street cleaning, road/pavement maintenance, street lighting, parks/gardens, along with things like promoting the town/event organisation etc, transferred to a beefed up Town Council.

I'd like to see all the various Town Council Committees scrapped, and the Councillors duties reduced to overseeing their ward/acting as a conduit between public/council. Instead, an elected Mayor would be introduced for a 5 year term to run the town on a businesslike basis. The Mayor would have control of the spending and have to deliver on specific targets listed in their manifesto...or get the boot at the end of their period.

The present Town Council just isn't delivering any value for Llandudno....

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1901 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »
If the services currently delivered are slowly being shared between Conwy County Borough Council and Denbighshire County Council then we may eventually see certain services delegated to a local council.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1902 on: December 28, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »
Yes, that seems to be the trend. I see no reason why services such as Social Services, Education and Highways cant be run at a North Wales regional level, even?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1903 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:34 am »
We had a great time yesterday in Venue Cymru,  we went for a walk in the morning and when I was going past VC I remembered that David Dickinson was there with the team from 'Dickinson's Real Deal' so we popped in for a quick look. There were not many people there and we watched a few deals being done and retake after retake! There are 4 separate dealers sections, each with it's own film crew, several times we were required as extras in the background, afterwards we were rewarded with free coffee & food (no entrance fee either, right up my boulevard  ;D ) After about an hour and a half we thought lets go home and find something to sell, so after a quick sandwich at home (I eat a lot :laugh:) we returned clutching valuable antiques ;)  we had our items looked at and 2 were selected to be filmed for the show, the first was an enamelled sign (Lyon's Tea) that I had bought for a tenner about 3 years ago at a car boot, Helen was doing the on screen bit and the dealer offered £60  :o  D) Helen turned to me in the background and asked if that was ok, I nodded in agreement (in my head I was screaming 'YES, YES!!! ) That was a good result!  Our other item was filmed also with er indoors but the offer was not enough so on the 28th April it's off to Morgan Evans,  Anglesey  for auction, we had a good chat with the auctioneer afterwards and we will be putting a few other items into the same auction  D)
In all a great day, cost nowt and a good earner too, David Dickinson is a total professional, going form dealer to dealer filming different deals, he was good to talk to too!               

Dickinson's Real Deal
Thursday 1st December - David and his team of dealers are in Llandudno in North Wales http://itv.co/sW9wGe

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1904 on: December 29, 2011, 07:03:37 am »

As I am on the side of my local constituants and not a Party, I presume therefore I could not count on your vote?
 ZXZ

I've been voting one way since I was allowed to vote, so I would want to be sure I was voting the 'right' way  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas