Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616797 times)

Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #495 on: January 04, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »
Sorry, I should have added that sometimes we all get "caught short" or have the occasional "accident" and animals are no different. >>>

I am of the old school that believes in prevention rather than cure!      :D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #496 on: January 04, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »
I have to admit to being at a loss to understand why anyone would consider that the reintroduction of dog licences would do anything to stop dog fouling. There is already a £1,000 fine for fouling that is not enforced, so who would enforce new dog licences? The one, singular, Conwy Dog Warden?

Legislation does not work in anti-social matters, there is no-one to enforce it.

The only hope is peer-pressure and making it perfectly clear that dog fouling, like drink-driving, litter and bullying is totally unacceptable.

the money from the dog licence could pay for a warden to enforce the law and then you would also get some fine revenue too  D)  something needs to be done quickly !  
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Richard

« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2011, 04:42:28 pm »
Whilst I am loath to disagree with a senior member of this forum, the suggestion of the reintroduction of a 37 pence licence that was scrapped in 1987 will solve this problem is fantasy.

I remember all the arguments of the time, including the suggestion of rasing the cost of the licence, but only responsible dog owners had licences anyway.

We have the legislation in place already with the sancton to impose a £1,000 fine that could be used to raise revenue, if that cannot be enforced, further legislation will not work.

You can legislate against anything you can think of, but if it cannot be enforced, it's a waste of time and counter productive.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »
Whilst I am loath to disagree with a senior member of this forum
Please feel free to disagree with anyone you like. All opinions are equally valid.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #499 on: January 04, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »
Whilst I am loath to disagree with a senior member of this forum
Please feel free to disagree with anyone you like. All opinions are equally valid.

In that case...here goes.
There are too many dogs (my opinion) and a walk from Church Walks to The Pier today along Happy Valley Road re-affirmed my belief that the license fee should be £2500. (for any new dogs)  So as not to penalise current owners on limited income.
The fine for fouling the pavements should be £2500 (not a maximum, just a flat rate)
The revenue from all these payments to finance a dog patrol service, one that prowls around towns, just like traffic wardens do, WAITING for dogs to foul, and checking that owners are licensed.

Simples!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Richard

« Reply #500 on: January 04, 2011, 06:23:52 pm »
Fester,

Your lucid simplicy and transparancy of vision is a lesson to us all to enable a practical and sensible solution to a problem of only minor irriation.

As you infer, we are taking this issue all too seriously.

The fact that it blights our community, affects local the local economy, spoils our enjoyment of our open areas and potentially blinds children is of course, of negligable consequence.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #501 on: January 04, 2011, 06:26:49 pm »
yes please do disagree, otherwise there's no discussion :)
and I'd have the licence fee a lot higher than 37p  I was thinking that if the £1000 fine was enforced once then it would be one hell of a deterrent and no one else would get caught so no wages for the warden!  I'd set the licence fee at around £50 per year, lower for oaps  I normally hate legislation and rules and fines but nothing else seems to work not even the recent story of the young girl blinded in one eye  :rage:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/108348/toddler_blinded_by_dog_poop
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:32 pm »
Richard, as a dog owner I am 100 per cent behind everything you have said and I would think that every one else is too.
There is little we can do about legislation etc to prevent this type of thing happening but we do have a Dog Warden in the area.   Have you tried contacting the Dog Warden and if so what has he said?

Offline Richard

« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:28 pm »
Hugo, thanks for your support.

I understand that the Bank Holidays have streched CCBC's re-opening until tommorrow when I intend to try and contact someone at the Council. I shall also bring this to the attention of Jason Weyman and Mike Priestly; I have to say that they are very good at taking up issues of local concern.

I shall keep this forum updated of developments, this is a serious and rather horrible issue that needs practical attention.

I will also enquire as to t.he current situation regarding the pedestrian crossing of the railway at Deganwy.

Regards

Richard

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #504 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »
Richard et al,

I have only just picked up on this thread about the Dog Fouling.
The £1000 fine is enforced and several people have been caught, but they don't receive the greatest of press coverage.
The issue is the chances of the limited resources catching someone at it in the right location at the exact right moment. Resource is an issue (I understand there has been a long term illness issue).
The Police (inc PCSO) also have the capability to issue fines.
I have suggested a name and shame place on the internet to try and help deter others. The situation does seem to be getting worse. I will speak with Cllr Mike.
We have just gone through a Service Prioritisation process to rate all the services we run. I would suggest that the Dog Warden will actually have come up high on the list.
It is not a insignifcant problem and something we have failed to come up with a solution.

As for the footpath across the railway in Deganwy, again this is something that me and Mike are working on. We have done a lot of background work and engaged the time of Council officers. Unfortuately we have no legal case to prevent Network Rail closing. The footpath has never been defined and because it is over a railway it can not be protected even if we can prove it has been used for 100+ years (which we can).

Some individuals may have the option to legal challange based on clauses in their deeds which allows access to the forshore. Network Rail are not the easiest people to work with and we are waiting for them to come back to us.

In the meantime, Network Rail are discussing another piece of land in Deganwy to construct a CCTV camera. I have asked the officers to link this request to giving us a "Permissive Path Order" over the railtrack at Pentywyn Rd. Network Rail have come back to try and disconnect the 2 discussions. I have "advised" our officer to respond and instruct them that we are not preprared to do so. I won't say much more on this, as I wouldn't want to jeopardise proceedings. But this is something that we are keeping a close eye on.

Should we need the "power of the people", we are ready to push the button and get the support of many people behind us. Network Rail are aware of this, so I'm hoping we can acheive something through negotiation first.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #505 on: January 04, 2011, 08:20:13 pm »
 :) Jason while we are talking about railways ,do you know when the Llandudno railway project is going to start. :weeping:

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #506 on: January 04, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
:) Jason while we are talking about railways ,do you know when the Llandudno railway project is going to start. :weeping:

wrex, I still belive this is on target for starting in early spring. I will ask some questions tomorrow to see if I can get some better dates. Cllr Philip Evans will know the latest.

I posted this info a while back:
"The situation is very complicated and Conwy CBC will act as a lead partner to apply for the grants required to do the work. There are 3 funding streams required to bring the plan together National Station Improvement Scheme (NSIP), Taith and WEFO.

The NSIP is a scheme provided by WAG following European Convergence funding. To apply for such funding Network Rail must first have performed a tender process for the a Design and Build contract.

WEFO is the Welsh European Funding Office.

“Taith” is a joint board of the six county authorities in North Wales working together to deliver substantial and significant improvements to public transport across the region. Taith have agreed last week that Llandudno Station would have first call on grants available next year. We now have to see if this is enough assurance for Network Rail to proceed with the tender process.

Network Rail have completed the Initial Design stage and should be ready to go out to tender for the Design and Build contract. Assuming all agreed in principle funding comes through then works would be due to start in Spring 2011.

The scheme involves improved passanger facilities, including an enclosed waiting area where the vehicular entrance is currently and a bus stop outside. Car parking will be provided where the disused platforms now are. Cars and Taxis will enter the site where the old building recently demolished was."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »
If only we had a few more councillors like yourself, Jason, willing to come on the Forum and update us about various local issues.  &well&

Offline Richard

« Reply #508 on: January 04, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »
DaveR,

Wholly agree. I have a rather sad view of politicians in general, but Jason has my catagorical support in his bid to be an AM., I will just be sad to lose him as a local councillor.

It's rather a shame that other local councillors don't emulate him.

R.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #509 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »
Thanks Dave and Richard,

The strange/annoying thing is I'm not doing anything difficult.
Where I can help I will, where I can't I will say, but will try and find someone else who can.

Christmas is always a time for reflection for me. My decision to stand for the Assembly has taken some of that reflection time over the last week. Should I stay and make a difference in Conwy, or try to make a difference with more strategic issues at Assembly level. It is a difficult one, but I'm sure the electorate of Aberconwy will answer the question for me.