Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203793 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #525 on: November 20, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »
Also Hugo I am trying to trace William Roberts grandson of the Baptist minister.Hewas born about 1866 and lived at Factory Cottages Llansantffraid until 1881 aged 15. He is not with his parents (Enoch and Sarah) in 1891. I found after much searching, an entry for William Roberts born Fforddlas 1891 living as Baptist minister to the Davies family in Feather Street Flint.

is this a member of your family? 1881 aged 15 = born 1868?
Robert Williams, Jr (1868 - 1928) - Find A Grave Memorial http://bit.ly/tu8QJ6

Offline dwsi

« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2011, 05:15:44 pm »
On this map where it says Felin Lifio (Saw Mill) is where Factory cottage is

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #527 on: November 20, 2011, 05:17:56 pm »
I didn't check on any other dates apart from the Minister William Roberts, you would have to check the Burial book in the Archives for the dates but it's closed for a bit now.

Dwsi it's a William Roberts that Jane is looking for.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #528 on: November 20, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »
Peulwys (Pellws) http://g.co/maps/5xxcr

Offline jane B

« Reply #529 on: November 20, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »
Thanks Dwsi for the maps and pictures. As Hugo said, it was William Roberts I was seeking! Your find was exciting though!
I'll check at the Archives after 2nd Dec for the grave dates. Thanks anyway.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #530 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:18 pm »
Thanks Dwsi for the maps and pictures. As Hugo said, it was William Roberts I was seeking! Your find was exciting though!
I'll check at the Archives after 2nd Dec for the grave dates. Thanks anyway.

oops  :roll:

Offline emma p

« Reply #531 on: November 22, 2011, 01:11:00 pm »
Hi all,
well we're back from a super weekend.....it was very short, but very sweet and the weather was just right.
In the short time we had i managed to get to Llanrhos cemetery ( to find the infamous John Roberts) and lay our rememberence cross. I must say it is the most beautiful setting. Just as we were leaving people were arriving for the sunday morning service, we got chatting and had a very warm welcome from them. They even asked us to stay.....which if i had had more time i would have done.
Next stop, Glanwydden. What a sleepy little village ! We were whispering as we walked along as  i didnt wanna wake anyone !!! Unfortunately it was early so the pub hadnt opened, but we said a most definate in the summer. Temptingly theres a bungalow for sale opposite the pub !!!
We walked along past the church with our sights set on the cemetery......but Hugo i couldnt find it ??? We went along Waun Rd and up a very narrow lane....was i close ??
Back into Llandudno and up the Orme.....in the car, not running with the marathon runners !!!
Jane, i searched for your grandmothers(Jennies) grave but i couldnt find it. Think maybe more specific instructions required.....even Isabel was on the hunt ! But she did collect lots of fir cones and laid them on Enoch and Marys grave along with some flowers and she made me say a little prayer ! Bless her.
Back down (along Old Road) again we waved at Tan-yr-ogo and Plas Tudno and walked up to The Four Oaks. We drove past Jubilee Street and The Royal Hotel so i do feel we've walked in the steps of our ancestors if only very quickly. I did walk down Vardre Lane too but didnt spot the cottages ???? I went down the side of the Victoria in church walks....was i in the right place ??
On the way there and home we drove through Glan Conwy but didnt have chance to stop. Think i need directions for the church and graveyard there......i did look and scan for it.....is it visible from the road ?
So all in all a lovely and very emotional weeked. Oh, enjoyed the Celtic Fayre too.
 $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #532 on: November 22, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
I'm glad that you had a lovely weekend Emma and you've certainly crammed a lot into such a short time. You couldn't have been far from the Cemetery in Glanwydden but it is awkward to find as it is not signposted.
If you had gone down Waun Road and taken the 1st left down Ffordd Wiga (there is a house just on the junction) which is a very narrow lane you would have seen a metal kissing gate on the right before you come to any houses.
The Cemetery is not visible from the road so you have go through the gate and walk along the grass path until it opens out. The modern Cemetery is then on your right and the Jungle one is on your left.
Again you were in the right place for Vadre Cottages. From the Victoria, walk down the lane passing Court Street on your right and continue down the lane and after about 50 yards further on the cottages are on the right slightly set back from the lane.  The gable end of the cottage faces the lane.
If you travelled down the A470 Fforddlas Chapel is only about 100 yards from the main road and is easy to locate and is visible from the road.
You'll have to do them on your next visit.   $good$      $walesflag$

Offline jane B

« Reply #533 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:07 pm »
Hi Emma, Glad you had a lovely weekend. You did pack a lot in! Thanks for trying to find the grave of my grandmother, I know my directions were very vague! Glanwydden is lovely, I think you were on the right road for the cemetery. The road has a bit of grass up the middle so looks like it doesn't lead to much but there are some houses up there and I read Hugo's instructions which were what my friends and I followed and found the cemetery.
I am going again to Llandudno tomorrow for the day by train as I don't drive. I want to go the cemetery in Glan Conwy so will go on the bus and try to find it! I will take phtos and then work out the translations when I get back.
I had a little sort out of photos and I have one (the only one!) of my grandmother Hullock nee Roberts, also one of my mum and dad on Llandudno pier. I will send you a copy. Bye for now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #534 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »
Jane, if you are going by bus from Llandudno then you'll need the Llanrwst or Eglwysbach bus and get off at Nev's Garage in Fforddlas which is about 1 mile  outside of Glan Conwy.
Then walk about 50 yards up the main road towards Llanrwst and take the left turn at the cross roads.
Keep on walking up the lane and the Chapel is about 100 yards away and next to Fforddlas Farm.
As you are looking at the Chapel from the road the entrance to the Cemetery is on the left through a sort of tunnel. Once in the Cemetery keep to the left and you will see William Roberts' monument with the headstone resting by it.
Take the map of the Cemetery with you and also the names of the Roberts family and it will make it easier for you to find everyone.
Good luck and I hope the weather will be good for you also.

Offline jane B

« Reply #535 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »
Thanks Hugo, that makes it very clear where to go. I have taken a copy of the plan.Thanks again.

Offline emma p

« Reply #536 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »
Oooh Jane, you couldnt squeeze me in your bag could you......im missing it already ! Would be really interested in seeing your picture of Jennie. I can hold it against my pic of John and see if theres a family resemblence.
Reading hugos directions i think i was looking in the wrong place.......i was scanning the high street ???
Also, i couldnt have been far away from the cemetery.....we did go up that lane but obviously missed the gate as we ended up by the houses.
Spotted the sign for Capel Garmon too......another place to go and see.
Have a great day Jane......looking forward to your pics and finds.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #537 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »
Emma, go on to google street view and go up Ffordd Wiga in Glanwydden.   Before you come to the first house you will see a locked metal gate on your right which actually leads to the Cemetery, then look to the right of the gate and you will see a metal kissing gate and that's the way to get in there.
Do the same in Glan Conwy and follow the A470 to Nev's Garage then just go past the cross roads and before you come to the sharp uphill right hand bend at Talgoed Nurseries turn the camera to your left and you will see the Chapel which is in a row with other properties.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #538 on: November 23, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »
Emma, go on to google street view and go up Ffordd Wiga in Glanwydden.   Before you come to the first house you will see a locked metal gate on your right which actually leads to the Cemetery, then look to the right of the gate and you will see a metal kissing gate and that's the way to get in there.
Do the same in Glan Conwy and follow the A470 to Nev's Garage then just go past the cross roads and before you come to the sharp uphill right hand bend at Talgoed Nurseries turn the camera to your left and you will see the Chapel which is in a row with other properties.

Glanwydden cemetery  -> http://g.co/maps/fpbyf
Chapel (cemetery tunnel) -> http://g.co/maps/yzpbr

Offline emma p

« Reply #539 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »
Thanks dwsi.....we walked straight past that gate !! Nevermind, we can try again.  $good$