Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203749 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »
Stunning Hugo.
Yes i would say Annie was Elizabeths daughter cunningly disguised as their niece to save face i suppose !
But then, after Enoch Anne had Evan in 1860 and we dont know what happened to him ??? Followed by William in 1862.
Can i just get my facts straight and correct me if im wrong-

1860-Richard and Anne living at 3 Pendyffryn with Elizabeth, Enoch and Evan, William b.1862 (Anne born in Capol Gorman)
1871-Enoch(aged 18) Possibly working at Bodafon Farm
1876-Enoch marries Mary Thomas. It states on marriage cert. he is living in Tyn-y-coed ?? He is aged 23, a stonemason and she is a housemaid at the Royal.(Mary born in Penmon, Angelsey ? Father Lewis Thomas)
1877-William dies and is buried in Glanwydden.(Son of richard and Annie of Tyn-y-coed)
1881-Enoch and Mary living at Tan-yr-ogo Cottages (love to know which one?)
1885-John Roberts born.
1891-Richard, Anne, Elizabeth and Annie(grandaughter/niece) living in Rofft Bach.
1891-Richard Roberts dies and is buried in Glanwydden.
1891-Enoch and Mary living at 16, Jubilee Terrace.
1901-Enoch and Mary living at 7, Jubilee Terrace. Enoch was a gasworks bricklayer.
1901-Anne, Elizabeth and Annie living at 3, Ormonde Terrace.
1906-John Roberts marries Annie Webb(living at 1, Penryhn Cres.) at Conway Registry Office.(Annie originally from Wednesbury b.1884)
1909-Richard Roberts born (26, Kings Road)(my grandad)
1911-John,Annie and Richard still at Kings Road. John is a labourer.
1915-John joins RWF 17th battallion
1917-Ann Roberts dies. Buried at Glanwydden Cemetery
1918-Mary Roberts dies aged 62. Buried on the Orme
1920-John Roberts dies aged 35 at Plas tudno hospital. Buried at Llanrhos
1930-Enoch Roberts dies.Buried with Mary on the Orme (also buried in this grave are two of Johns brothers Richard d.1956 and Robert d.1961)
1945-Ann(Annie) Roberts dies and buried with William.

Phew !! What alot of information.
In 1876/77 family living in Tyn-y-coed ? Where in Tyn-y-coed ?
Elizabeth (Betsy) is also buried with her mom and dad, Richard and Anne but cant find date without looking back through thread. Dont seem to have recorded that in my book.
Have yet to discover what happened to Johns brothers and sisters. all i know is that his eldest sister Ann registared his death and was then in 1920 Ann Williams.
John and Annie go on to have 3 more children before he goes to war (Blodwynn, Lillian and ???)
What happens to Annie after John dies i am yet to discover.

Need a cuppa now !!!  $good$

Offline Jack

« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:08 pm »
Perhaps this Tyn-y-Coed?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »
It's more likely to be Tyn Y Coed on the Orme as the family has strong connections with that area.

Offline Jack

« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:54 pm »
Only asking as this Tyn-y-Coed is owned by Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund and I thought the family had Midlands connections?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:51 am »
Hugo, the 1841 census is the earliest on ancestry, Parish records go back a lot further, and there are other resources getting added all the time such as the Liverpool Catholic Baptisms Records which I have found useful in my own research,not to mention Criminal, Military and Immigration reords.

I would suggest joining Genes Reunited, as its very cheap and you get sent lists of hot matches indicating members with a family tree that matches your own, I have shared information with a lot of people that way.

A2A is another source which might give answers but with common names it is difficult to identify individuals.I have found  court records that way i.e. reference numbers and where the records are kept.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:46 am »
Only asking as this Tyn-y-Coed is owned by Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund and I thought the family had Midlands connections?

It didn't open until about 1892 so that's why I thought it was the Tyn Y Coed on the Orme

Offline emma p

« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »
Ah, if it didnt open till then its def tyn-y-coed road on the Orme because Enoch and his mom and dad were living there in the year he got married-1876.
Thanks for the picture though......I have read about this place in a book ive got and the name stood out so i can see where youre coming from jack.
 :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »
I've just read through all the facts that you've listed Emma and this is all I can add:-

I mentioned the Census of 1860 but that should read as 1861 as the Census is carried out in the first year of the decade eg 1841,1851 etc    The village where Anne was born is Capel Garmon

1876   Enoch was living in Tyn Y Coed and the exact location may be found via the 1871 Census or a rates book for 1876

1881  Tan Yr Ogo Cottages, again the rates book at the Archives may help

Betsy Roberts died in 1932 aged 85

Offline emma p

« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2011, 09:23:42 am »
Thanks Hugo.
Im going to put these findings down on paper and when i go back to work next week find a way of printing the whole of this thread off.
I was mooching through the internet yesterday and found reference to 'The Four Oaks' and it being a temperance guest house. It was listed under the Conway Archives but my computer wouldnt allow me to see it.
This would have been post Annie working there as Mrs Jones the past owner who i spoke to said it was  a private residence in the early 1900's.
Ill try and give the archives a ring at some point.
Also found a house in Jubilee Street which is a holiday let. Its called Jubilee Cottage. When we were there in august and went to Jubilee Street i spoke to a neighbour who said the house a couple of doors up was a holiday let.
The tempting thing is that it is available half term week in October !!!!  $good$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
A very old picture of the Black Gate area of the Orme. Roft Bach possibly on the left?

Offline emma p

« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:25 pm »
 $good$
Wow......great picture.   $thanx$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2011, 07:04:07 pm »
I wonder if Roft Bach is in this drawing?

Offline emma p

« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2011, 08:25:59 pm »
Got a chance. Is there a date for these pictures ?
My great great great grandfather was living in Rofft Bach the year he died 1891 but later the land is sold and it ceases to exist.  :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2011, 02:01:11 pm »
That's a cracking photo of the cottages on the Orme Dwsi.  I've never seen it before and it looks very old indeed, have you any idea of the date of the photo?
I'm still trying to get my head around where the photo was taken from. My first reaction was from above Wyddfyd Road where the terrace of old cottages are by the ski lodge but everything has changed so much since the photo was taken.      ???

Offline dwsi

« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2011, 02:41:19 pm »
That's a cracking photo of the cottages on the Orme Dwsi.  I've never seen it before and it looks very old indeed, have you any idea of the date of the photo?
I'm still trying to get my head around where the photo was taken from. My first reaction was from above Wyddfyd Road where the terrace of old cottages are by the ski lodge but everything has changed so much since the photo was taken.      ???

This might help