Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203746 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »
Thanks Suepp that puts Rofft Bach in the Black Gate area of the Great Orme somewhere near where Rofft Place is now perhaps.
I'm now pretty sure that the grave in Glanwydden is Emma's relatives but I'm puzzled by the discrepancy with Betsy's age.

Here's Rofft Place today:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »
Also, there's a Rofft Gate situated below Rofft Place:

The name Rofft Gate would suggest the path lead to the gate of.......Rofft Fach?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2011, 12:59:37 pm »
Not sure if you already have this info, but in the 1891 census Richard 75 is at Rofft Bach with wife Ann 60, Daughter Elizabeth 34 and Grand daughter Annie aged 4. The neighbouring properties are Wydfyd farm, Gate house,  Bron Berllan, Tyn-y-Coed and Tyn-y-Coed Cottage. These properties are in the Ty Gwyn Road vicinity. It looks like Richard's occupation is labourer and "scavengar" Ann hails from Capel Garmon.

Well, low and behold, I just happen to have an 1891 OS map.  8) (Apologies for the poor quality)

You can see Roft (only one f) Fach in the centre just NW of Llwynon. Ty'n y-Coed was further west.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2011, 01:02:01 pm »
Great find, Trojan. Does it say Gay Terrace above it?  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »
This is a better map from 1889 - I've coloured the bit in red that I think could be Roft Fach? If so, that places it on the right hand side of the first bit of Llwynon Road, before the bend, where there is an alleyway now.

Offline emma p

« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
A-mazing you guys !!!
On the first map can i also see 'plas tudno' ? and 'Tyn-y-coed ? (Enoch was living there when he married Mary)
Im trying to get my bearings......boy, do i really need to be there.  :(

I have rung the archives and mostyn estates this morning, but no-ones got back to me yet.

If i google street view it where should i start ? Maybe if i start at the tram station and work my way up ?

Brilliant find  $good$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
This is a better map from 1889 - I've coloured the bit in red that I think could be Roft Fach? If so, that places it on the right hand side of the first bit of Llwynon Road, before the bend, where there is an alleyway now.

Yes, I would agree.  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38:38 pm »
A-mazing you guys !!!
On the first map can i also see 'plas tudno' ? and 'Tyn-y-coed ? (Enoch was living there when he married Mary)
Im trying to get my bearings......boy, do i really need to be there.  :(

I have rung the archives and mostyn estates this morning, but no-ones got back to me yet.

If i google street view it where should i start ? Maybe if i start at the tram station and work my way up ?

Brilliant find  $good$

Here's an old pic of Plas Tudno:

Offline emma p

« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2011, 01:44:11 pm »
Wow thats super  :o
Plas Tudno was a military hospital where my great grandfather died from the effects of the gas in 1920.
When we were there a couple of weeks ago we found it on an extremely wet and soggy day !!
What date would you put on that picture ? and do you know anymore about the place ?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »
Great find, Trojan. Does it say Gay Terrace above it?  ???

:laugh: That did catch my eye.

I should think it's Bay Terrace......today's Bay View Terrace.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »
There's a discussion about Plas Tudno here:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130075

Some local busybody called DaveLlandudno seems to have been putting his twopennorth in..  :roll:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2011, 02:01:51 pm »
There's a discussion about Plas Tudno here:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130075

Some local busybody called DaveLlandudno seems to have been putting his twopennorth in..  :roll:

:laugh: I was just reading that.

A Miss Madelaine Antoinette Grace Saunders, Matron of the Plas Tudno and St Tudno Auxilliary Hospital Llandudno was awarded the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class in June 1918.

She was probably there when your Great Grandfather was admitted Emma.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2011, 02:10:24 pm »
What date would you put on that picture ? and do you know anymore about the place ?

I'm not too sure of the date. It's difficult without seeing anything else in the vicinity.

Plas means Mansion in Welsh, so more than likely an affluent family lived there originally.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »

I'm not too sure of the date. It's difficult without seeing anything else in the vicinity.

Plas means Mansion in Welsh, so more than likely an affluent family lived there originally.
Based purely on the quality/style of the image, I would say 1920s-30s.

It was a private school in 1901.

A Mr. W.H. Reece of Birmingham built Plas Tudno as a holiday home.  He was certainly living there in 1855, as he paid for St. Tudnos Church on the Orme to be rebuilt.