Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203855 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:06 am »
Hi all,
Ive just spoken to the lovely, lovely man in the registrars office at the town hall in llandudno regarding Enoch and Marys marriage

They were married in 1876 (stupidly i didnt ask for a date ! DUH !)
Enoch aged 23 a stone mason living in Ty-ny-coed ???????
Mary (Thomas) aged 21 a housemaid at the Royal Hotel.
Witnesses- John Roberts and Emma Williams
Johns father was Richard Roberts (labourer)
Marys father was Lewis Thomas

Tell you what these names just keep comin up dont they !!!!!!
May be best to just order the certificate.
So we're definately on the right tracks  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:42 am »
The Royal Hotel as it would have looked when Mary Thomas worked there:

[smg id=2428]

Offline emma p

« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:48 am »
Cheers dave. Thats a lovely picture. Is it on Church Walks ?
Wouldnt it be wonderful to go back in time eh.
Is Ty-ny-coed an area ??? Not a clue.
Definately got the right family now......must admit its a very spooky search this. Earlier on in the year dad asked me to look up the royal hotel on the internet for him, think he'd seen an advert for it with a special offer or something on a weekend break.
I am most definately being guided on this search !!!
Lord bless the Roberts's !!!  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2011, 11:36:49 am »
Dave might provide a pic of what the Royal has done in allowing an ugly modern block of flats to be built in what is the foreground of his lovely pic ! :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »
Emma,  the name Ty'n y Coed is a common name in this area and a number of properties are called by that name. In English it means house in the wood.
In this case however it could well refer to Tyn Y Coed Road on the great Orme that has terraces of small cottages.  Checking a Census record may give you the cottage No or name.
If you take a trip on Google street search and go up Old Road Llandudno up the tram tracks to the traffic lights then turn left into Llwyn Onn Road.  After about 50 yards on your left is Rofft Place (possible connections with Enoch? ) keep on this road until you come to a T junction and Tyn Y Coed Road is on your left.

Emma regarding your posting of the marriage you said John's father was Richard Roberts, do you mean Enoch's father was Richard Roberts?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:41 pm »
The Royal Hotel before and after photos as shown in Christopher Draper and John Lawson-Reay's book Llandudno through time.  It has loads of before and after photos of the town and is a good read too.

Offline emma p

« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:39 pm »

Oops yes sorry. well spotted Hugo. Getting my johns,enochs and richards mixed up !!! Soooo many to remember !!!

I know those flats.....how they were ever allowed to be built ill never know. A couple of years ago we stayed in a 'holiday let' called 'Ty-fry' in Old Road next to the bistro. Those flats are right behind it. I always felt sorry for the beautiful little cottages to the side of it too.
We've never been able to get that house for a holiday since, its always booked up. I suited us down to the ground (we're a funny family to accomodate !)

Ill give The Royal a ring, see what i can find out.  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
Ty Fry was my Friend's parents house in the 1960's and it's an ideal location for the town. You'll have to book earlier Emma unless you decide to come and live here to be near your many relations.
It seems that a lot of them must have stayed in the area so Ancestry and the Conwy Archives have a lot more to reveal!
I might be going to the Archives again next week so I'll see if I can find out anything then.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »
Emma, I forgot to ask the question, did the marriage certificate have the addresses of Richard Roberts and Lewis Thomas?

Offline emma p

« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »
hiya,
unfortunately not. just enoch and marys. just rang the royal....someones gonna ring me back as to whether any records/books kept.
I might ring registrar back as i did forget to ask for date of marriage and lewis's occupation. Richard was down as a labourer. :)

Offline emma p

« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »
Got my hands on two Llandudno books -
Llandudno, Queen of Welsh Resorts by Ivor Wynne Jones and Llandudno Past and Present by Jim Roberts.
Think my sisters got some more, but theres my bedtime reading for tonight sorted !!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »
They are both good books and Chris Draper's got some good one's too.  Unless someone can find it first, next week I'll look at the Census records for Richard before and after 1861 as I'd like to know where Rofft Bach Llandudno was and also the name of Richard's father.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »
Not sure if you already have this info, but in the 1891 census Richard 75 is at Rofft Bach with wife Ann 60, Daughter Elizabeth 34 and Grand daughter Annie aged 4. The neighbouring properties are Wydfyd farm, Gate house,  Bron Berllan, Tyn-y-Coed and Tyn-y-Coed Cottage. These properties are in the Ty Gwyn Road vicinity. It looks like Richard's occupation is labourer and "scavengar" Ann hails from Capel Garmon.

Offline emma p

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
Thanks Hugo,
Im intrigued by Rofft Bach too and Tyn'y coed.
Cant wait till bedtime......halfway through one now !!!   $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »
Thanks Suepp that puts Rofft Bach in the Black Gate area of the Great Orme somewhere near where Rofft Place is now perhaps.
I'm now pretty sure that the grave in Glanwydden is Emma's relatives but I'm puzzled by the discrepancy with Betsy's age.