Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203769 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2011, 08:08:46 pm »
had a look for Enoch in the 1881 census, they are in Tan-yr-Ogo cottages, it says Mary was born in Penmon Anglesey and there are 3 children, Ann 3 Lewis 2 and Evan 3 months

Enoch is a Stonemason and their nearest neighbour is Thomas Kendrick occupation "lapidary" !

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:47 pm »
Thomas Kendrick also lived in Tan Yr Ogo Terrace at one time.

Offline emma p

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »
Wow, thanks suepp.
So, Rofft Bach is the property ??
This would make sense with Enoch living at ty-ny-coed when he was married in 1876 and then by 1881 living at Tan-yr-ogo cottages.All these properties not being far from each other.
Wydfyd Farm ? Just found a picture  in a book stating Wyddfyd Cottage up by the pitch and putt.....would this be the same ?
Been looking at the dates ????? Richards seem to tally but having trouble with other two.
Maybe the family at Glanwydden is not ours ????  Though the names are right.....blimey its getting confusing. and if richard died at Rofft Bach then surely he's buried on the Orme.
'Scavengar' doesnt sound promising !!!! and where is Capel Garmon.
Questions questions.....sorry guys my minds going into overdrive !!!
Ill have another look at it tomorrow.
 $walesflag$

Offline emma p

« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
Ooooh Errr ! Just been reading about Thomas Kendrick......fame at last !!!!!   D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »
Rofft Bach was certainly very close to Tyn Y Coed:

Conveyance of freehold land and herditaments situate at Llandudno in the county of Carnarvon  EV/92/11  6th February 1890

These documents are held at St Helens Local History and Archives Library

Contents:

Known as Rofft Bach and part of Tyn y coed. The Trustee of the late Joseph Evans to Thomas Barker esquire. Lots 13,19,20 and 21 of the 1889 Llandudno Sale.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »
Thinking about it a little more, I can't help but feel that Rofft Bach would be one of the houses within the box on this map?

Offline emma p

« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:36 pm »
Ill have a good look at that tomorrow dave, thanks. :)

Ive just found a picture of Tan-y-ogo dated 1878....three years before Enoch and Mary were listed as living there.
Its in the book 'Llandudno past and present' by Jim Roberts. Page.101.
I took pretty much the same photograph when we were there just a couple of weeks ago !!!
Absolutely fascinating.  ;D

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »
It says the neighbouring properties include Bron Berllan so I think that would rule out the Black Gate area and put it further up at Tyn-Y-Coed Road area as Bron Berllan is still there.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
It says the neighbouring properties include Bron Berllan so I think that would rule out the Black Gate area and put it further up at Tyn-Y-Coed Road area as Bron Berllan is still there.
Don't forget that the area looked a lot different back then, with no houses between the Rofft area and Tyn Y Coed, so they would have been next to each other in the list. Bron Berllan is the white B&B halfway along the zig zag path between Tyn Y Coed Road and St Beunos Road.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »

Bron Y Berllan (meaning Breast of the orchard) was obviously above the orchard.  The area called Tan Y berllan ( beneath the orchard) was where Llwynon Gardens is now so surely the orchard was somewhere in between possibly where Beaver Lodge is now.
Also there were a number of old miners cottages facing Rofft Place. It's getting very interesting trying to find the exact location and I'll be interested to see the posts in a few days when I come back on line

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:29 pm »
the only reference to Rofft Bach on google is in this doc http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=139-ev&cid=-1#-1

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »

I don't know of anyway that you can establish that the memorial inside Trinity Church and also the one on the Cenotaph is your John.  I had a problem with this because the records in the Archives have only the name of John Roberts and no other info such as address, age etc.
There was another John Roberts of Winllan Ave who died in 1919 and it could have been either one.
It was only when you provided the date of death of your John that I could get the info you wanted
There are some forum members that have close links with Trinity Church and perhaps they can identify which John Roberts is on the memorials.

I rather think that the Church may not have any information other than the name on the memorial. However one member did quite a lot of research recently about the Memorial Chapel in Holy Trinity and so I will contact him to see if he can help.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2011, 01:42:51 pm »
My Great Grandfather Jack Edwards worked in the Gasworks at the time so it's quite likely they knew each other, here's a photo of the gasworks tug of war team in (I think) 1922

Offline emma p

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »
Thanks bellringer. Trojan.....you put that picture at 1912 then ?

Spookily enough on the subject of Glanwydden, i was looking through properties for sale in Llandudno(trying to convince my dad to sell up and move up to llandudno) and came across one of the terraces in 'our row'. Its up for sale for £163,00 ! mmmmmm ?????
V.V tempting. :roll:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2011, 03:16:41 am »
Trojan.....you put that picture at 1912 then?

Yes, it says 1912 on the slate plaque.