Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203778 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:08 pm »
Hi Hugo........haven't had chance to do much today, been busy with the house and garden, but i see youve had a great day ! I must say i would have dearly loved to have walked along those country lanes too, the pictures are beautiful.

Ive read last few posts over and over trying to digest it all and write things down in order.
Am i right in saying then that Enoch was born to Richard and Ann and in 1860 at the age of 7 living in Glanwydden, in the parish of Llangwystennin ?
Ive just googled Glanwydden Road on street view.....absolutely beautiful setting and the windmill is stunning.
So, Pendyffryn, was that the name of the house or the name of the terrace ? or is it the area ?
Ive written everything down in chronological order and will try to get this on here when little'uns in bed, just to check ive got it all right.
Must ring for a marriage certificate on monday too. I reckoned that they would be busy with weddings today and that it may be quieter on a monday.
I read the thread through from start to finish the other night and its amazing how far we've come from really very little information ! Its just great. :)
The queens head is a definate must next time im there.....very soon hopefully and a fortnight next summer too !
Have a good weekend. speak soon. $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »
You are correct in what you say Emma. according to the Census of 1861 Enoch was living with his parents Richard and Anne at 3 Pendyffryn Glanwydden.
It might sound confusing to you now having a Parish called Llangystennin and a village of the same name but that's how it was in those days.
From the Census of 1861 Pendyffryn was not the name of one house but the name of a group of four houses.
There are lots of stories about Glanwydden in the old days that I am sure would interest you and I bet there's loads of info in the Archives too.  Just for example in the 1st photo extreme left was the old pub the Sun, the two white cottages next to it are No's 1 and 2 Pendyffryn, then the terrace of three which I think are No's 3 and 4 Pendyffryn and the one on the right is the Kings Head ( another pub? thats at least 3 pubs in 100 yards!       Z** )
The name Glanwydden means bank of the wydden on account of a small stream called the Wydden that runs through the village. I've often seen white Ducks just lying in the Sun by the side of the road there and it's a lovely sight to see.

Offline emma p

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:53 am »
Glanwydden must have been a great village to live.....all those pubs !!
So i descend from a family of drinkers then ! My grandad(Richard) liked a drink, to say the least, and as kids would take us to the park for about 5mins and then round to 'The Green Dragon' in Darlaston and there we'd sit outside with a bottle of pop while we waited for him to come out !
This was much to the disgust of mom and nan who were staunch Methodists !!!
He would always talk about 'The Kings Head' in Llandudno, saying that was his favourite pub......we now know why with the cottages and plas tudno so close by (Bet that was Enochs pub !)
Its just like a big jigsaw puzzle with all the pieces now falling into place.
When i think about it, and this might sound daft, but all the places we go and things we see and like to do(like going to Bodafon, walking round old Llandudno, going to Rhos) are all connected to the things we've found out on this search and i somehow feel like we've been 'guided' to these places over the years. Daft, i know !

Cheers to the Roberts's  ZXZ

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2011, 10:10:02 am »
that feeling of being drawn back is known as the "Hiraeth" in Welsh Emma! $walesflag$

"Hiraeth  is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation. However, the University of Wales, Lampeter attempts to define it as homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing, yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness, and the earnest desire for the Wales of the past"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:30 am »
Hiraeth,   I'll drink to that Suepp.     Z**

Emma, I was reading Chris Draper's book last night and found out that Bodafon Hall ( that large white building behind the farm) was actually the original Bodafon farm house so Enoch would have  lodged there when he was working for the farmer John Williams.

I've met the present tenant farmer of Bodafon Farm a few times and found him to be a really nice guy, I wonder if you could guess his name?
He's Richard Roberts!     Makes you wonder doesn't it?          ?{}?

Offline emma p

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
Blimey....this search gets spookier by the day !!  :o
Suepp......' Hireath ' sums up my feelings exactly. If my husband said yes id have this house up for sale and be there in a flash !! I know its easier said than done though, jobs etc. I quite fancy the windmill in Glanwydden !!! ;)
We didnt visit Bodafon this year, opted for the zoo at Colwyn Bay instead. Usually do a year about.
So is Bodafon Hall a residence or is it open to the public ?
Ill have a moochy on the internet. Bet the archives have loads of old pictures of the farm in its day.
Ill be sending my sister with a list and £20 to pay for all the copies of documents we need !!

These Roberts's dont half get about ! I know that somewhere in Llandudno today there are members of this family walking around. My ultimate aim is to meet them. With all of Johns brothers and sisters and the one not dying till 1961 theres got to be.

I need to track down Richards siblings too. My dad says the last time he saw Lillian and Blodwyn was at grandads funeral back in 1983 and they were living in Wednesbury. As for the fourth child - not a clue. mmmm ?

$thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
Bodafon Hall is now a private residence and by pure coincidence my friend who restored the Windmill to it's present state later sold the windmill and moved to Bodafon Hall.    ???
Unfortunately when I last saw him he was getting divorced and he said Bodafon Hall would have to be sold

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:52 pm »
Hi Emma, just looked in the 1929 directory and have found that Enoch Roberts of 7 Jubilee Street was a "Gas worker".(would this be the same Enoch, he would have been in his 70's by then? - he passed away the following year)

My Great Grandfather Jack Edwards worked in the Gasworks at the time so it's quite likely they knew each other, here's a photo of the gasworks tug of war team in (I think) 1922

Offline Hugo

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »
In the Census of 1891 Enoch lived at 16 Jubilee Terrace and his occupation was a stone mason.
In the Census of 1901 Enoch was at  7 Jubilee Street   and his occupation was a gasworks bricklayer.
By 1929 he would have been about 75 years old so perhaps he had given up work by then.
That photo is interesting Suepp and looking at it, with all due respects the grey haired person in the front row (2nd left) looks too old to be in the team.  I wonder who he was.      ?{}?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
the man on the left at the front looks like my Taid and I have often wondered if it is his father Jack "Bangor" who lived in Alex road

Offline emma p

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »
Enoch died in 1930 aged 76.
Ann Mary his wife died in 1918 aged 62. It states 7, Jubilee Street on the gravestone. I suppose Enoch would have stayed in the house. Their youngest child Owen would have been 33 and unless he didnt marry would have moved out.
Does it list Enoch only ? No other names ?
What year is the directory before that ? Dont suppose 26, Kings road is on there is it ?
The pictures great- Enoch would have been 69 in 1922 - cant see him playing tug of war !!!! Surely he would have given up work by now ?
Where was the gasworks ?

Ive been to my local library today but pretty useless....no free access to ancestry etc. will try Central Library in Wolverhampton. Really i need to get over to wednesbury/west brom for 'Annie Roberts' info.
Im running out of time.....back at work in a couple of weeks and with a 5yr old in tow its quite difficult !
My dads got a few llandudno history books so ill have to pinch them off him.
 ;D

Offline emma p

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »
Just been looking through photos in the gallery and in the pre 1900's section have come across a picture entitled
'Glanwydden children playing'
Now to me it looks very much like Pendyffryn terraces and to the right where children are very much like the side of a windmill (the terraces face the windmill dont they?) ????
Am i right ?
Dont know how to upload the pictures on to here ???

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »
In the street directory only the head of household is listed, and sometimes their occupation. I've only got directories from 1929 and 1969. There are four Owen Roberts in the 1929 directory, plus two "O Roberts" it could be any of those!

The Gasworks was on Maesdu Road, the long road running between the Links Hotel and the Railway Bridge at west shore

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2011, 05:06:22 pm »
that's a lovely photo, it does look as though they are standing by  the mill

Offline emma p

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
oooh bless you. how did you do that ????
Where were the Owen Roberts's and the O roberts's living in 1929.....the addresses might give me a clue ?
Cheers suepp  ;D