Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203762 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »
I just copied it to my desktop  D)

these are the listings:  O Roberts Kenwyn 30 Howard Road, O. W.  Roberts Coal Agent Bodeuron, 5 St. Mary's Road, Owen Roberts, Grocer & Provision Merchant, Barnsley Stores, 47. Madoc Street, Owen Roberts, Pentre Isa, Penrhynside, Owen T Roberts, Tan-yr-Allt, 3 Cwlach Road, Owen Thomas Roberts, The Bays, 20 Abbey Road.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »
If you want to show any photo from the gallery, just look underneath the photo for the bit called BBC Embed Code, copy and paste the code into your post and the photo will appear automatically.

The Glanwydden code is [ smg id=2393 ] (I've added the spaces in, otherwise it will just show the photo instead of the code)

which appears as:

[smg id=2393]

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »
That's a lovely photo of Glanwydden and it is the old windmill in the foreground.  The white building on the extreme left is the Old Sun pub with Pendyffryn to the right of it.
The gasworks was on the corner of the junction between Maesdu Road and Cwm Road and I used to play in there when I was a young lad and living in Cwm Place.
Harry Gas as we called him often used to chase us away from the place.

Offline emma p

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
What kinda date would you put on that picture Hugo ? Maybe Dave R knows as its one of his ?

Going off on a tangent if i may, but i was mooching on internet and came across another WW1 memorial inside Holy Trinity Church.
Called the Llandudno 'Roll of Honour' it lists

John Roberts     Private       RWF

Is there any way of knowing if this, and the one on the cenotaph is definately 'our John' ?
Theres another place to visit !

Thanks for the list suepp.....Owen at this time would have been 32ish and seems to have married and  moved out.
The two sons buried with Enoch and Ann Mary, Richard and Robert.......would they have had to have died in Llandudno to be buried in that cemetery ?
Gonna have another look through gallery.  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2011, 11:19:13 am »
I wouldn't like to say how old the photo is.  It blows up quite well without loosing too much detail and judging by the clothes of the children it could be the 1950's or even later but to be honest I may be way out in my guess.

I don't know of anyway that you can establish that the memorial inside Trinity Church and also the one on the Cenotaph is your John.  I had a problem with this because the records in the Archives have only the name of John Roberts and no other info such as address, age etc.
There was another John Roberts of Winllan Ave who died in 1919 and it could have been either one.
It was only when you provided the date of death of your John that I could get the info you wanted
There are some forum members that have close links with Trinity Church and perhaps they can identify which John Roberts is on the memorials.

Just as a matter of info the Conwy Archives has street indexes for the years 1911,1914, 1922,1926, 1929, 1939 and one or two much later than those.  The ones up to 1939 have the names alphabetically too so it makes people much easier to find

Offline emma p

« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2011, 03:20:08 pm »
Cheers Hugo.  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »
I was in the Conwy Archives looking for the burial details of Richard Roberts your G G Grandfather and looked in the books for Llanrhos, St Tudno's and Llangystennin but there was no luck.   However I picked up a burial book for Capel Einion, Glanwydden Llangystennin and there was a very promising entry there.
In the Cemetery at Grave A No 021 were Richard Roberts d 1891 aged 74, Ann Roberts d 1917 aged 88 and Betsy daughter of above d 1932 aged 85.
There is no certainty that this is your relative because at the time Richard died he was living in Rofft Bach Llandudno but the guy in the Archives said that the Census ages are sometimes out by 10 years either way but Richard's is only out by 2 years and that can be explainable based on the dates of the Census etc.
The inscription is all in Welsh and I can translate it another time.
Called next at Glanwydden and took a photo of the old Chapel which is around the corner from Pendyffryn and went on to the Cemetery where I saw the Family grave.  If this is your relative don't go there unless you're in your old clothes and have a machete handy as the old part is the most neglected cemetery I've seen.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »
I asked a local lady in Glanwyddan for directions to the cemetary and she turned out to be someone I was in school with when I was a teenager. I met Elan and her husband Stuart Rivers ( a local author and historian) when I went on a walk with the Deganwy History Society recently.
Elan couldn't tell me the history of Pendyffryn but this is just my opinion.
Pendyffryn is at present made up of two houses No's i and 2 but I had a look and there is another house attached to the back of No 2. This house is called Ty Cefn Cottage and translated means "back house cottage.
Pendyffryn has had a new roof and the chimney in the centre of the house looks like a double chimney that supports two houses. The rendering looks 60's and there has been some obvious alteration going on.
My opinion for what it's worth is that the original No's 1 and 2 have been converted into one house which is now No 1.     The original No 3 (Richard's house) is now No2  and  No 4 Pendyffryn  is now Ty Cefn Cottage.
I have no evidence to support this theory and it is just based on my observations

Offline Hugo

« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »
The Inscription on Richard's Headstone is as follows:-
Er Cof am
Richard Roberts
Rofft Bach LLandudno
Yr hwn a fu farw Ebrill 30ain 1891
Yn 74 mlwydd oed
Hefyd am
Ann
Anwyl briod yr uchod
Yr hon a fu farw Mawrth 5 1917
Yn 88 mlwydd oed
Yr Arglwydd yw fy mugail, mi bydd eisiau arnaf
Hefyd Betsy
anwyl ferch yr uchod
Yr hon a hunodd yn dawel Ebrill 6 1932
Yn 85 mlwydd oed
Calon lan yn llawn daioni

In English this translates as :-
In memory of
Richard Roberts
Rofft Bach Llandudno
He died April 30 th 1891
Aged 74
Also for
Ann
dear wife of the above
she died March 5th 1917
Aged 88
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
Also Betsy dear daughter of the above
She fell asleep in peace April 6th 1932
Aged 85
A pure heart full of goodness

Offline emma p

« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
hi Hugo, looks like youve had some lovely weather today.
Been busy in the garden today before the rain comes tomorrow !

Ive done some calculating and this info certainly does look promising.
Richard was aged 44 in 1861 so this would put him being born in 1817. He would in fact be my great great great grandfather-
Richard-grandfather, John-great grandfather, Enoch great great grandfather.....wow !
Richard and Ann had a daughter Elizabeth aged 9 in 1861 a possible 'Betsy' ???? dates for her dont add up so well tho, unless its my maths !!
But like you say, gotta give or take a bit.
Where is Rofft Bach ?? I'll google it !
Thanks Hugo, youre a star and the pictures are super
 ;D

Offline emma p

« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »
First job in the morning is to ring Llandudno Town Hall. Need that Enoch and Ann Mary marriage cert. to get a definate on Enochs fathers name and address.
Might try to ring a number ive been given tonight for info on 'The Four Oaks'.
 :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
Years ago a colleague of mine rented No 2 Pendyffryn and when I was going past the house invited me in for a coffee. I didn't go but I wish now I had of and then perhaps I might now have known more about the place.

Changing the subject slightly I was half watching a programme on BBC 1 called Heir hunters this morning and thought that the were searching for relatives of someone called Webb in Wednesbury.   Couldn't be related to Annie Webb, could it?        ?{}?

Offline emma p

« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »
I saw that too and my ears pricked up at the names.......i followed it through but didnt recognise any others.....might watch it again on i player just in case. Think its a repeat. Been watching it most mornings while ive been at home. Really interesting stuff.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not !   :roll:

Offline dwsi

« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2011, 07:48:01 pm »
This is the only Rofft I know in the area. http://bit.ly/qXdPrn
It's on Bryn Pydew Rd, Llangwstennin

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »
Not something to do with Rofft Place, off Llwynon Road?