Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254508 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:29 pm »
Some of the hotel/motel views from a road trip we made for my 60th to Utah and Arizona

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:11 pm »
2 more

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »
Is that the K-T boundary on the 3rd pic, ME? Wonderful place, Arizona.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
Starting at the top

Springdale, Zion National Park Utah
Page, Lake Powell, Arizona
Bryce Canyon, Utah
Monument Valley, Utah
South Rim, Grand Canyon, Arizona.

Bucket list well and truly ticked.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »
Happy 60th wishes and thanks for showing us that amazing scenery.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:01 am »
                While staying in Weston-super-Mare last week we came upon "A tale of two Piers". The privately-owned Grand Pier on the sea-front has burnt down twice, once in 1930 and again in 2008  due to an electrical fault and was reopened at a cost of £39m only two years later, and features some brilliant lighting at night. The other one connects the mainland with Birnbeck Island and is situated about a mile north around the point. Birnbeck Pier is the only pier in Britain that connects an island with the mainland and closed in 1994 after the steamer trade to South Wales ceased and has since fallen into disrepair and "ownership has changed hands many times since its closure", and is now on the "buildings at risk" register. Does that remind you of anywhere else-----?
          I enclose a couple of pics of both piers and also a view of Wells Cathedral which is very impressive inside and out and also a couple of views of the West Somerset Railway which is a lovely journey through the Somerset countryside and along the coast terminating in Minehead.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #441 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:26 am »
                Wells Cathedral and the West Somerset Railway, and a reupholstered chair for sale in one of the shops in Glastonbury. Note the price for entry to the Dance Hall!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #442 on: October 19, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »
Fascinating pictures of the Piers Gwynant,  thanks for posting.  $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #443 on: October 19, 2014, 11:17:00 pm »
Yes very interesting, I especially like the look of Birnbeck Pier, looks fascinating!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #444 on: October 20, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
I think the new pier building looks stylish. Just shows what can be done.
Thanks Gwynant, sounds an interesting trip.

Offline hollins

« Reply #445 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:42 am »

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2014, 09:30:10 am »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: October 29, 2014, 11:00:55 am »
 :D :D :D

My pet hates are - firstly - poor room lighting.  Why most hotels seem to think imbuing their rooms with the sort of light you can expect in Antarctica during mid-July is beyond me. Once the daylight goes, I find you're left groping to locate things you thought you'd bought with you, or being blinded by the near-solar storm level brightness of the bathroom lighting by comparison with the mid-November London fog gloom of the rest of the room. And I echo his irritation with regard to switching the lights on and off.

Secondly, why have soaps become markedly smaller in recent years? They used to be at least hand-washing size.  Now, their diminishing size is threatening to make them an endangered species.

Thirdly, the showering process appears to have mutated to the point where a University degree in fluid dynamics is necessary before you can turn the thing on. We stay in a lot of hotel suites, and the showers vary from the unbelievably complex to the totally unintuitive. The latest fad appears to be to have at least three shower heads in the shower, each of which produces either molten-lead temperature water or freshly chilled and just-unfrozen river ice level deluges.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2014, 08:53:12 am »
Spent last weekend in Blackpool, staying at Big Blue Hotel. It's a fascinating place, with an interesting contrast between the shabbiness of some of the seafront hotels and the sheer opulence of places like the Tower Ballroom.

Just for Fester, here's a photo of a storm lashed North Pier, which sold for £900,000 back in 2011:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2014, 09:01:39 am »
here's a photo of a storm lashed North Pier, which sold for £900,000 back in 2011:

Good price for a photo!