Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 219521 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:45 pm »
There was some interesting info on the board near the old pier head. Not sure if it's still there today.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2011, 11:05:13 pm »
How much of this is true, I don't know. But we do now know that Rhos pier was not bought second hand from Douglas in the Isle of Man!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »
Makes me feel important when folk I know very little about know about me LOL

Here's one for you Mike......who was this Rhos-on-Sea resident?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
I thought there were weirs on both sides of Rhos Point.
You were right.  $good$ There was another, smaller, weir on the beach in front of the Cayley Promenade, about level with the Breakwater. At low tide, you can clearly see a rectangular type pool surrounded by rocks.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 03:07:30 pm »
I thought there were weirs on both sides of Rhos Point.
You were right.  $good$ There was another, smaller, weir on the beach in front of the Cayley Promenade, about level with the Breakwater. At low tide, you can clearly see a rectangular type pool surrounded by rocks.

$fan$ Thank God for that!

:D

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »
First, to the weirs. Yes, Dave is right. But how the devil he knows seeing as he wasent even born when the Colwyn Bay end weir (for want of a better name) was still visable defeats me. I saw the catchment pool and the "sticks" as a kid, but I never ever heard of it being a weir.
 Now, to the important query about the photograph of an elegant gentleman. I am going to "chicken out" on this, for the time being at any rate. My excuse, which I use often, is I'm not good at remembering faces. Mind you, I also use the excuse of being good on faces and rubbish on names! I hope to come back to this, at the moment I am lost.  By the way, are there two "Rhos on Sea" threads going on in the forum at the same time. Could a moderator have a look at this, I ended up in another thread looking for these replies. Mike

Offline Trojan

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »
Now, to the important query about the photograph of an elegant gentleman. I am going to "chicken out" on this, for the time being at any rate. My excuse, which I use often, is I'm not good at remembering faces. Mind you, I also use the excuse of being good on faces and rubbish on names!

Surely you remember him Mike......he used to cut your hair (many moons ago) you should remember his face from the mirror.  ;D

Don't you remember the red neon sign in the window?

Haircut Sir!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »
First, to the weirs. Yes, Dave is right. But how the devil he knows seeing as he wasent even born when the Colwyn Bay end weir (for want of a better name) was still visable defeats me. I saw the catchment pool and the "sticks" as a kid, but I never ever heard of it being a weir.
The Colwyn Bay Weir was owned by Mr. Whitehall Dodd in the 19th Century. In 1866, a 'Salmon Law' was passed, which required that all such Weirs be dismantled, unless it could be proved that they dated back to the reign of James I. Mr Parry-Evans, the owner of the Rhos Fynach Weir, luckily found the original Charter for the Weir in an old chest in Rhos Fynach and so was able to prove its right to stay. Mr. Whitehall Dodd was not so lucky, and the Colwyn Bay Weir was dismantled shortly afterwards.

By the way, are there two "Rhos on Sea" threads going on in the forum at the same time. Could a moderator have a look at this, I ended up in another thread looking for these replies. Mike
There are two threads - this is the thread for discussions of times past, whilst the other thread is for modern discussions etc.  :)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2011, 10:14:36 pm »
OOOhhh!!! Bl----- H---. My excuse is that I hav'ent looked into those eyes (and then through a mirror) for, give or take a year, 64. Thats it, years, not weeks or months. Need I say more. Looks good, does'ent he. Mind you, he always used to say I looked good after he had scalped me.  Mike   P.S. Might I ask how and why you have a photo of Mr Ledder of Colwyn Avenue barbers shop.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:55 am »
OOOhhh!!! Bl----- H---. My excuse is that I hav'ent looked into those eyes (and then through a mirror) for, give or take a year, 64. Thats it, years, not weeks or months. Need I say more. Looks good, does'ent he. Mind you, he always used to say I looked good after he had scalped me.  Mike   P.S. Might I ask how and why you have a photo of Mr Ledder of Colwyn Avenue barbers shop.

He named the salon The Windsor, (his wife ran the ladies section) as he was stationed at Windsor barracks when he was in the Grenadier Guards during WWII.
Saw service in North Africa and was wounded by shrapnel at Anzio in Italy. The lump of shrapnel shattered his clavicle and came to rest near his heart, which, was left in place. Maybe they didn't have the technology to remove it in those days?
He suffered slight paralysis in his left arm, however, after arriving back in Rhos to recuperate, built up his strength by swimming from Rhos Point to Colwyn Bay pier and back numerous times every day.
He still carried that lump of shrapnel until he passed away in the late '90's aged 84.

How and why do I have a photo of him? Well.....It's amazing what turns up on my hard drive Mike.  ;D

Waffagolf

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2011, 02:19:59 pm »
Mr Ledder used to cut my hair too. I remember a black child seat with chrome sides that fitted over the adult seat, so it could lift a child up to the right height. I liked Mr Ledder.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2011, 04:27:09 pm »
 :laugh: I remember that seat, and his electric clippers making my eyes water when they pulled the hairs out on the back of my neck.

Offline che guevaras flip flops

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »
Wondeful pictures of the swimming pool in Rhos-On-Sea.  Used to love going there when I was a kid.

I seem to recall having my hair cut in a barbers near the Railway Statin in Colwyn Bay.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:58 pm »
I seem to recall having my hair cut in a barbers near the Railway Statin in Colwyn Bay.
The one by the side entrance to the old Indoor Market? I used to go there as a kid as well. It's still open today.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45:03 pm »
So, Waffagolf, you have old Rhos connections as well as one or two other forum members. I dont include our hard working moderator DaveR. Hes too young to be included.