Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 233173 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Rhos On Sea
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:36 pm »
too young
Not a phrase often used in reference to me these days, sadly.  :laugh:

Waffagolf

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:37 pm »
So, Waffagolf, you have old Rhos connections as well as one or two other forum members.

Would that include yourself Ormegolf?

Offline poppy

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:35 am »
By a long haired guy (steve) from a rock band. Was it locks box?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2013, 08:46:09 am »
Great old photo showing Rhos On Sea from the Pier:

[smg id=3198]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:46 am »
Yes it is, shame the pier has gone!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Jack

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:35 pm »
It sold at auction in April 1947 for £2, 250 to a Chester businessman Mr W. R. Denson!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »
  Thats interesting. So I presume this man from Chester pay out #2000 odd to buy it for scrap. And it must be assumed that he paid for it to be pulled down and shipped away and, again presumed, made a few bob for himself.
   Fast forward to 2013. I am sure I have seen the figure of #5,000,000 to pull the Colwyn Bay pier down. Have I made a mistake with the noughts? I dont think so.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2013, 08:33:14 pm »
This is an interesting photo on the Colwyn Bay Facebook page, it's the old chapel that stood on the site of what is now Ninos Cafe. Never seen this one before.

[smg id=3200]

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »
 No, I've never seen this photo, nor can I remember it in real life. So I presume it is before 1936 the year we came to live in Rhos.
   All I know its next door to Old Bills, which was a penny in the slot type of arcade. Specially used by Rhos kids

Offline sam

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »
I was told that my paternal grandparents or possibly great grandparents ran a cafe in Rhos...would have been at least before the '50's I guess. I never found out much about it or where it was except it was possibly where Nino's is or maybe even the Rhos Fynach. On the sandwich board in the photo it say's Frost's cafe. I found this.....

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33335/pages/7866/page.pdf

....from the London Gazette from 1927 where it mentions an Edward Albert Frost and his estate including the Savoy Cafe, Conway Rd and Lewis's cafe, Abergele Road. Very likely the same family who ran the Chapel Cafe although nothing to do with my family. Judging by the girls dress it looks possibly Edwardian.

Offline phil

• Born in the Bay but exiled for now!
    • Colwyn Bay and Beyond.
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2013, 11:08:29 am »
Yes---thats it---I'm sure now. Trojan, you mention Jessie Pye. Well, I know him very, very well, and now I remember him showing the original of this photo to me.  The actual coach was probably cica 1910 as you said, but the photo was taken around 1950.  The man standing to the right hand side of the photo (left of the coach) was the original Jonnie Pye himself. He bougfht this coach, and horses, and a very long post horn etc etc from a film studio in London, with the idea of plying for hire along the prom in the Bay. Needless to say, the Council squassed the idea well and truly. It would have been competition for their small bus service.  Just as a matter of interest, especially to anyone interested in bus transport,  in the centre of Heswall is a Pub namewd "The Johnnie Pye".  Its a new, gastro theme pub, and is full of old photos of Pyes buses from the 1920's, fleet lists, timetables etc.etc.  Reason being is has been built on the site of the old bus station which Mr Pye operated before selling out (being bullied into selling) by Crosville.    When the pub was opened around 15 years ago, the brewery tried to find any relative of Johnnie, and they traced Jessie in Old Colwyn. They wanted him to open it!!!! If Jessie reads this (unlikely) he wont mind my saying that he has spent a very large part of his life inside a pub. He never got to opening one before.  Mike

My grandfather used to know the Pye family and drove the Alpine Tour coaches for them now and then, he was later a taxi driver in the Bay in the days before radio cabs took over.
I have always been Welsh First, British Second and European Third, i am proud of my Celtic heritage and passionately proud my hometown which in my view has seen better days but still has a lot going for it.

Offline phil

• Colwyn Bay and Beyond.
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:00 am »
:laugh: I remember that seat, and his electric clippers making my eyes water when they pulled the hairs out on the back of my neck.

He did my crew cuts as well those electric clippers still make me nervous now! :o
I have always been Welsh First, British Second and European Third, i am proud of my Celtic heritage and passionately proud my hometown which in my view has seen better days but still has a lot going for it.

Offline phil

• Colwyn Bay and Beyond.
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2013, 11:16:19 am »
I seem to recall having my hair cut in a barbers near the Railway Statin in Colwyn Bay.
The one by the side entrance to the old Indoor Market? I used to go there as a kid as well. It's still open today.

I also remember that one and used it before i switched to the Windsor.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:33 am »
The one down the Arcade was called "Cecil's".  Pleasant guy with a moustache and glasses.  We were all a bit surprised when he died and found out his name was actually Cyril! Then went to Jones by the Market.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2014, 11:36:57 am »
My sister and I spent a lot of summers in Rhos pool, with a great crowd, this would have been 1956/62.
I remember a Mr Breeze the manager and Auntie Betty from the cafe, there was the juke box, table football etc.
I can remember some names, a lot of nicknames, quite a few were kids from the well known local shops and businesses my, best friend then was Len McMahon now in Canada,
To come down From Glasgow, living by the docks, to Rhos was like a different world.
I have a lot of local family  history and photos, which I will share later (in storage) I notice a lot of people on the forum have connections to Rhos, is their any of the old crowd out there?
This might help you remember me, I was 6ft. 4. aged 13,!!!!!!......... a recent medical says I am now 6ft.2. ah age. I was sometimes called Scotty.....so com'on........... is there anybody out there.   ;)     :)