Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175225 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2012, 03:31:46 pm »
Do away with that stupid parade with those dreadful smelly steam engine things, polluting the atmosphere

:o :o :o one of the nicest smells in the world! wonderfull machines, but then I do like Steam railways too  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »
Do away with that stupid parade with those dreadful smelly steam engine things, polluting the atmosphere

:o :o :o one of the nicest smells in the world! wonderfull machines, but then I do like Steam railways too  D)

Me too!  And I like the old steam organs, wonderful machines!   $good$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:51 pm »
The Steam Organs are fantastic. Here's a close up of one of them, wonderful design and detail:

Bruxelles by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
Well its getting close and im glad to say it seems to be getting more popular,on the Saturday there will be three special trains coming in,one a steam special so the event is doing something right for these train companies to invest.Iknow me and Yorkie disagree about it but its a well attended event and brings much joy to the local children.I think this year you will see more changes,i don;t agree with some but if it looks betterand makes more money then i will be happy. The committee need the funds to bring in the entertainers and the traction engines,some people thought that the traction engines came as part of the Transport Festival,wrong the extravaganza brings in all those organs,trction engines and all entertainers from magicians,to marching bands,at quite a considerable expense so please be a little less unfair on the funfair which funds the whole event.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »
With the chairman and event co-ordinator having resigned the event is in turmoil and unfortunately the event will be a very small event this year.Mr Scarratt having had little support from his committee,CCBC and the local press he finds it too much to take on alone,its very bad timing but everything comes to an end and i think this now has.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
This is awful news. Cannot the Vice-Chair and the committee run it? It should never be a one man band, surely?

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2012, 12:41:21 pm »
Hurrah! :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
It's hardly good news, a lot of businesses depend upon it for an early boost to their trading. People's livelihoods may be at stake.  $angry$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
I  will not be sorry to see the end of the Victorian Extravaganza in its present (immediate past) form but it is a pity if it is not able to have its final fling just so that like minded people can realise what a relief it will be to be able to enjoy a quiet May Bank Holiday.

I would like to see the return of the olde Victorian Extravaganza with ordinary people dressing up and parading about the town and some of the small side shows and barrel organs that were part of those long lost times.  The traders will still benefit if they choose to participate in a parade of floats or in some other constructive way as does happen in other UK resorts.

I wonder if Wrex will go along with me on this one?     L0L
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
A 'quiet Bank holiday' in a tourist town...can you see what's wrong with that remark, Yorkie?  &shake&

People's livelihoods are more important than your peace and quiet.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »
DaveR - thanks for your rebuke- 

The word quiet does not neccessarily mean silent and that is not what I am suggesting.  There must be a level of noise whenever people are enjoying themselves but as we are not a Blackpool, or a Southend-on-Sea with their large amusement areas the sound level could be, and should be, tolerable.

If I stay in the town instead of disappearing for a few days, then my money would also contribute to the local economy!
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2012, 02:43:58 pm »
Yorkie i thought you would be pleased,i hope you have enought money to put into every cafe ,pub, hotel and shop in the weekend. The event has always been the one peron who runs the funfair and he sorts out the licences,road closures,barriers,police,and of course now the street cleaning sothere you have it,as far as i can see the event will come to an end this year on a very small and sad end.The only way i can see out is by one of the main funfair operators running the fair for the extravaganza committee,lets hope this is feasable.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »
A 'quiet Bank holiday' in a tourist town...can you see what's wrong with that remark, Yorkie?  &shake&

People's livelihoods are more important than your peace and quiet.

:o
Thanks Dave
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
Yorkie i thought you would be pleased,i hope you have enought money to put into every cafe ,pub, hotel and shop in the weekend. The event has always been the one peron who runs the funfair and he sorts out the licences,road closures,barriers,police,and of course now the street cleaning sothere you have it,as far as i can see the event will come to an end this year on a very small and sad end.The only way i can see out is by one of the main funfair operators running the fair for the extravaganza committee,lets hope this is feasable.

There will be many more people who will be not only pleased but absolutely delighted and over the moon - not least of all will in fact be some of the shopkeepers!

The Extravaganza only covers 4 days, or just over 1% of the year.  Two days are lost due to the erecting and striking of the rides etc. so all in all the shopkeeper's gain, if any, is about 1/2 to 3/4 % of their annual T/O.  The main businesses that do well are the cafes, food, ice cream shops and the  street burger stalls.   The pick-pockets have a great time too!

As an ex guest house owner, I appreciate the need for the Hotels and Guest houses to fill their beds - a bed without an A*** in it today can never be recovered - but they should be able to rely on their own marketing efforts and not just rely on getting the side effect of other attractions.

Finally, I suggest that the olde style Exravaganza could be made more interesting and enjoyable and attract people to the town without the noise and disruption we have suffered over the past few years.    A bit of Market Research may be able to provide a few answers and opinions.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
I've been thinking about this.  (Always a dangerous thing for me to be doing)

The Extravaganza (love it or hate it) is a massively important event, and if there is such a big threat to its existence then surely there is a process that could be followed to salvage the situation.

All I have seen on this subject is a few unofficial posts on this forum.
So, is the threat THAT great?  If so, I would suggest the following course of action.

The Committee members should put out an appeal to the local community, asking for people with management experience and spare time to devote, to come forward.  Heaven knows there are lots of such people in this area.
Then, and more importantly, spell out what is actually needed to be done.

Personally, from the little I have seen, it is made out to be something akin to having to eat a whole raw cow for dinner.
But when faced with something as daunting as that, simply break the tasks down into a list which can be shared out, and apportion responsibilities to those who come forward.

Even I was wondering whether I should offer my services, but no one is giving me any idea of what I would be letting myself in for?  So obviously I keep schtum.  I imagine many others will feel likewise.

Let us know what is required, what needs to be done, and you may well be inundated with volunteers.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -