Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88178 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2021, 05:24:58 pm »
A stunning day today and perfect for some exercise in the form of a decent walk. Where should we go we asked ourselves and decided a walk along the prom and half way along Marine Drive to the half way point, then up the tank track and over the top, past St Tudno's church and the graveyard then on to the Ski slope, Happy Valley and back home again. All legitimate exercise provided we stuck to the rules of social distancing, stayed within our household of two and didn't eat or drink anything along the way. We didn't want to make the national news did we!
So off we went tackling first the promenade..the most obvious place for Llandudno's locals to take a walk. Trouble was it was deadly with ice covering most of it's length before the sun got to it, and in fact it was still slippery in parts 4-5 hours later.( Maybe driving to West Shore or Penrhyn Bay would have been a safer bet but that would be breaking the rules)
Onwards we went , witnessing a couple of pensioners enjoying the view from one of the shelters with a take away Costa Coffee. Fine them £200.
Past the Grand hotel and a sign clearly states the road is closed ahead. We were passed by four cars by the time we got to the end of the Orme. 4x £200.=£800
A couple of walkers were having a break sitting in a sheltered spot by the Half Way cafe and about to start their picnic 2x £200= £400
The car park at the end of the Orme had two parked cars in it. 2x£200= £400
Walking over the limestone pavements I spotted two walkers one of whom had a map hanging around their neck. Can't be local 2x£200=£400
Carrying on 3 men each with a dog on a lead were not socially distancing and couldn't possibly be one household 3x£200 =£600
A little further and as I stopped to check my mobile phone to see where the planes overhead were coming from and going to. 1X£200, checking my phone doesn't constitute exercise.
Out of curiosity I asked the two ladies who had caught us up where they thought the eastward flying planes had come from. Manchester was the reply. They are either stupid or not local. 2x£200=£400
We walk past the car parking area up the road from the cemetery which has been blocked off with railings ( at what cost?) so two cars just parked off road further up. 2x£200= £400, plus another £200 for the car that drove past us on the way down the road before picking up the footpath again.
All very quiet until we got to the Grand Hotel were two young men were attaching their bicycles to the roof rack of their car. Outrageous. You have a bike and you put it on a car to take exercise 2x£200=£400 ( but I would have at least doubled it if it was up to me.)
Back along the promenade it was by now quite busy. Some one coming the opposite direction was operating a remote controlled car as he walked. £200
Further along an outrage. An adult and two children were flying a kite. How can you call that exercise!!!! Unfortunately you can't fine the children as they are too young 1x£200 will have to do.
And so we got back home having taken about 4.5 hours to walk 10 miles. Should I give us another fine, after all 30 minutes was considered the maximum amount by Michael Gove. Nah, he was clueless really as he doesn't exercise.
So there we have it first hand. Llandudno is crammed full of Corvidiots. I could have collected the best part of £5k if only someone had appointed me a Covid Marshal. If the money goes to the council it would go some way to paying towards the hundreds of signs telling me to keep my distance from others and the barriers put up to stop people parking.
Come on council , get your act together.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2021, 08:56:32 pm »
 You could have made a citizens arrest in each case. Think how much you'd have brought the coucil tax down  +}}{--
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #437 on: January 10, 2021, 10:40:06 am »
Dave,  I hope that you enjoyed your walk on the Great Orme yesterday despite what was going on around you.    We have all noticed that the rules are being flouted by a large number of people.
It's those same people who will be the first to complain if curfews are imposed and the Police step up with their enforcement and fines but they have no one to blame but themselves
If we all work together and follow the rules then hopefully the virus will go away quicker

Offline SAJ

« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2021, 10:58:21 am »
Happy New Year everyone.

I’m sure we can all cite examples of such behaviour, it’s unbelievable. Yet again over weekend, Police and Rescue Teams have been out locally. When will people understand that in addition to potentially spreading Covid, they are also placing others at risk by travelling. I’ve attached photos of the A494 through our village and uphill from Mold. These were taken on Friday and even though the roads were treacherous, Police turned away 100 vehicles from the closed road to Moel Famau on Saturday and two local were rescued after becoming disoriented in the worsening weather.

In amongst the Friday chaos was an NHS worker trying to get to a patient about 3 miles uphill towards Ruthin and going absolutely nowhere. Quarry wagon and others had to abandon and turn around. What is difficult to understand about “Stay Home” except for essential journeys?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2021, 11:15:39 am »
Borrowed from someone on FB who had already borrowed it,....

Borrowed from someone else and couldn’t say it better myself

"What Boris/Drakeford should really have said
‘So, here we go again. I’m on your tv telling you things are going to be sxxt for a while. And yes that’s what I’m doing. I’m stopping you from going out, from seeing your friends and loved ones. You think that makes me a bad person. But you know what; this job isn’t easy. All I’m doing it trying to please you lot and stop you all dying at the same time. I give you rules, you break them. I ease things a bit, you take the piss. You are all a bunch of ungrateful selfish human beings and I’m now at the point where I’m only inflicting more rules because you idiots are putting ridiculous pressure on the NHS, by ignoring the things I have asked you nicely to do. You all think you are a scientist, doctors, experts. You aren’t. Neither am I. But I am taking advice from the best in this country and doing my best to please you all. So stop being so selfish.. yes it’s boring, it’s getting old, but it won’t go away if you all continue to throw your toys out of your pram. Grow up. Take some responsibility for yourself and your so called loved ones and do as you are asked!!"

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2021, 02:37:35 pm »
Dave, I have just had a walk on the prom by walking and finishing from our home here in CyD.

Had there been policemen positioned between the Washington and the Paddling Pool, they would have earned thousands in fines with all the cars arriving and parking up there.

Offline Helig

« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2021, 02:57:35 pm »
It is questionable whether the Police take enforcement of Covid Regulations seriously. I was out for a walk this morning and saw mobile homes parked down by the river at about 10am. They looked as though they had been there all night. This spot is used by people to park their mobile homes before they set off to travel further the next day. It is in a public place and open to all to see them there. This is the second time in three days that there have been mobile homes parked down there in the morning. There have been endless announcements that Scotland is closed to visitors and travel from England (and vice versa) is not permitted. I should have thought local police, who have a Police Station a five minute walk away from there, would be eager to do something. There was no sign of anyone on either day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2021, 03:49:04 pm »
We are all seeing examples of people flouting the law and getting away with it and they will continue to do so while no enforcement is taken against them.
I wonder if they would continue doing so if the Police were instructed to take more positive action including fines and the confiscation of the vehicle too?

Here's yet another example of those selfish idiots

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/council-shuts-car-park-after-19598214

Offline Dave

« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2021, 04:21:20 pm »
Actually I did see one police van yesterday. It was parked up outside the Chocolate Box in CYD, the driver was playing with his mobile phone but the engine was still running, presumably to keep him warm while his passenger was in the shop no doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he technically breaking the law being in charge of a vehicle with the engine running and using his phone?
Anyway, today's walk took us from CYD to the Little Orme and back via Nant-y-Gamar and Penrhynside. I didn't see a single violation of the rules at all! Obviously a local walk for local people!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »
First we had the idiot from Ellesmere Port who travelled to Moel Famau and crashed his car in the snow, now we have four more idiots from Ellesmere Port who were going to climb Tryfan in the dark and in trainers too.             &shake&

If anyone have climbed Tryfan they will know that it's the only mountain in Snowdonia that you need to use your hands to climb up it.
Personally I'll never walk up there when its wet or windy and certainly not in the dark because it is quite an unforgiving mountain

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-stop-teenagers-who-travelled-19598275

Offline Hugo

« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2021, 08:20:28 pm »
They still keep coming and this one has had her car seized           $good$

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woman-stopped-police-driven-almost-19598742

Offline Dave

« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2021, 11:12:38 am »
I was pleased to read that the woman surrounded by three policemen and fined for sitting on a park bench was a set up organised by anti lockdown protestors, she was being tackled on another matter not for sitting on the bench. I was also pleased to see that the two ladies who drove 5 miles in separate cars to take a walk and coffee as they went had their fines rescinded too.
Consequently, the amount of revenue I potentially could have raised on Saturday has to be scaled down. Do we really want to make examples of the people who sit on a bench on the promenade? I would certainly hope not!
We who live in most places in North Wales are extremely lucky, particularly in my opinion, here in Llandudno.We have the two Ormes, Nant-y-Gamar, the North and West Shores to name but a few places we are currently free to wander. Even on a stunningly beautiful day as it was on Saturday the north promenade although well populated was nothing like the scenes of parks in the centre of the bigger cities.Is it any wonder those folk would love to get in to their cars and head off in to the open countryside for their own well being and personal safety?  Instead they are labelled as selfish by those of us who enjoy similar freedoms on our doorstep. Yes, there is no way there is a need to drive a few hundred miles to achieve this, and certainly heading up a snow covered mountain whilst inappropriately dressed puts others at risk too when everything goes pear shaped but why push the population of Llandudno on to an icy  and potentially dangerous promenade by telling us we are not allowed to drive anywhere at all for exercise?
We are almost at the 12 month stage of lockdowns and rules and where has it taken us to? An even more severe crisis than we had in the first place. There is no doubt it is easy to have an army of armchair critics such as myself who have zero experience of anything remotely connected to managing such a crisis but there again, what benefits have we received from those supposedly in the know?
We have all been waiting in hope for the vaccine and let's face it we have had months to prepare but in Wales it seems our esteemed leader tells us we are not in a race to distribute it. Really? If he means compared to other counties I agree but that's not the race we should be comparing to. It's the race against the virus that counts. What went on in Llandudno the other day did appear to be a rather poorly executed plan with some vaccinators being given on the spot training on what to do. The elderly and frail stood around for hours waiting their moment. Each and every year we have been vaccinating against flu, shouldn't we have at least gained some insights from that? OK the Pfizer vaccine is a bit more complicated but the Oxford one shouldn't be. Let's get it done and let's do it fast. Hands onboard anyone who knows how to wield a needle!
Meanwhile back to lockdown, and it is what it is. I can at least say I have been advocating social distancing and wearing masks in indoor public spaces and outdoors in crowded ones right from the off...more than can be said for the Welsh government until they U-turned. I have also advocated the most vulnerable groups have allocated times where they can gain a degree of freedom without risking the chance of mixing with those who have waved two fingers at the rules. I suppose the flaw in that argument is that I have seen many aged folk doing exactly that, basically ignoring everything whilst others I know have not even left their homes for months for the fear that has been instilled in so many.
As for me? I have done my best to be sensible I take regular exercise outdoors, will stop and talk to people at distance and without fear they will pass on the virus to me. I ignored the offers of cheap meals to save the hospitality industry. Didn't get us too far really did it, delayed the end for some businesses perhaps but hastened the end of life for others I have little doubt.
The nations economies have been crippled by lockdown and future debts. Is it really necessary to close down all those small businesses that were far more effective at implementing social distancing rules than the big supermarkets?
Oh, and talking of supermarkets I still go once a week and do a shop for my shielding neighbours whilst I'm there. It is by far the most dangerous place I visit. The supermarkets have made bigger profits than ever during this pandemic. We are all eating and drinking at home. It's time they went back to strict distancing rules and one way systems. OK it might slow things down but we all have all the time in the world now don't we, and besides the longer it takes the less often we want to go. It's a win win situation.
The long forgotten track and trace told us nothing, we are just given statistics that tell us how many people have been infected and how many have died. There is nothing to tell us any statistics of where victims may have contracted the virus or any attempt to analyse behaviour patterns. Maybe it's too difficult but I'm willing to put on a huge bet that more people have contracted the virus in a supermarket than in a car park where they are about two set off on a walk in isolation.
So, now we are at the stage where we are being threatened with a total lock in. No one allowed out for any reason. One rule covers all. Or does it? No it doesn't. I live in a decent sized house and there are just two people living in it. I have a rather large open space of a garden too. Spare a thought for those who live in a crowded city centre flat with no open spaces at all. Plain stupid though that a huge crowd congregated at Marine FC's ground to welcome their team yesterday and despite the police saying social distancing was observed I somehow doubt it.
Let's face it. It's every man and woman for themselves now. We can't rely on others, if we do were doomed.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:37 pm »
We are almost at the 12 month stage of lockdowns and rules and where has it taken us to? An even more severe crisis than we had in the first place.

It can be argued that it was the slackening off of restrictions that have created the current dire situation.  But in terms of whether lock downs achieve their aim, I suppose we can only look to those countries that have imposed rigorous lock downs, such as New Zealand and Australia, to see if it works.

New Zealand imposed a draconian lock down at the outset and have more or less seen the virus off. Australia appears similar and virologists and epidemiologists here both warned strongly against relaxing the rules for Xmas. Seems they were right.

The virus spreads rapidly; its infectious nature was noted at the start of it all, and the newer variants seem even worse. But I agree with your sentiment that those of us who live in large houses with big gardens should spare a thought for those single parents living in flats with several children.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2021, 01:08:26 pm »
Dave I read your comment the other day, every day I/ we walk around west shore over the invalids walk ( born & bred up the Orme ) I too notice lots of people that are not local we won't go into how one would know that it's quite obvious  how we can tell, but you say about all the cars, our car will be there as our dog will not walk around the block by our house dogs are so strange, we used to walk round the Orme nearly every day but the seagulls screeching upset her too much 😂.. We have to drive / walk where she will go 😂😂😡🙈,    You mention the Queues outside venue for the vaccine Darren Miller once again got political instead of finding out the facts, people were turning up much too early for the app, and also training the staff, my sister has been a phlebotomist for 30/40 years but she can't do this no certificate mad. Harry Saville put a post out stating the true facts fair play to him shame Miller can't be big enough to appoligise.

Offline Dave

« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2021, 01:19:00 pm »
Just chatting with a friend..... on the phone I hasten to add..... and he tells me their dentist offered their services to vaccinate people as did a retired doctor they know. Both were turned down. Fear of being sued if  anything goes wrong is the reasons the authorities declined the offers.Apparently the document that legislates procedures is 46 pages long.