Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88163 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2020, 02:30:09 pm »
Easter fines for lockdown rule breakers
North Wales Police issued 26 fines over the Easter Weekend to those breaking the rules during the coronavirus lockdown.

The fixed penalty notices were issued between April 10, and April 13 (Good Friday to Easter Monday) - according to the NPCC (National Police Chiefs' Council).
On March 26, the Government announced new public health regulations to reduce the spread of coronavirus. These measures entitled officers to issue individuals with £60 fines if they failed to comply after officers had engaged with them, explained the risks to public health and encouraged voluntary compliance.    ref Pioneer

Coronavirus fines: Lancashire Police issues most lockdown penalties

Deputy Chief Constable Sara Glen said Lancashire Police handed out the most with 380 due to "barbecues, parties and Blackpool beaches", followed by Thames Valley with 219 and Surrey with 205.

cont.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52301650

It appears to me that NWP are either better judges of a situation or are too thin on the ground to catch the transgressors.
That said, by and large what I have seen whilst out and about on my daily exercise or weekly shopping trip has been compliance to the social distancing rules. That said, I haven't been very far at all.
As a law abiding citizen ( OK, I have been known to break the speed limits on open roads) I am getting rather fed up of some of the nonsensical rulings, particularly those decided by the police who have absolutely no mandate to make rules, just to enforce them. I was critical of those that condemned the police in the early days but I do believe those who warned of the permanent loss of liberty might not be quite so far fetched as I thought. I never had any objections to an identity card but the NHS tracking app worries me.
Our UK government has been slow and weak in their decision making, the Welsh Assembly was more decisive but come on, why should exercise be restricted to once a day? If I'm allowed to go on an 8 hour walk, why not two 30 minute ones? If I'm decorating paint is an essential item and it will certainly keep me within the confines of my own home. If Aldi, B&M and all the others that are open and are selling plants and bags of compost why can't my local garden centre. All those supposedly non essential hobbyist items would keep people off the streets too and if some stores can effectively organise social distancing why can't they all? Everyone needs food but what we are doing is funnelling everyone into the same shops who might otherwise have gone elsewhere and reduced the risk of cross contamination. Let's face it some of those supposedly organised stores that are open are a bit of a social distancing nightmare once you are allowed inside anyway.
We must give more credit to the public, and allow them to decide what is safe and what isn't. That said however, we need to protect the staff who are given the task of looking after those who get sick. That is the biggest dilemma. It's all very well clapping and cheering every Thursday night but the majority of us have no comprehension of what it's like to work in a hospital or infected care home. I don't think many of us have experienced the fear of going to work with the risk of death as a result. The fact that some people don't care about social distancing in the selfish belief that if they catch the virus they'll survive anyway is an outrage. If only the whole population had the same values of the majority who care we might be able to lead more normal lives. That's why we need rules, meaningful rules that actually make sense. We need politicians to lead by example and lay it on the line what we need to do and to apply common sense whilst they are at it. We also need to be told the truth, not given false impressions. I'm pretty positive I watched Matt Hancock state that they would achieve 100,000 tests per day by the end of the month, that has I'm told been changed to a "blue skies" objective  not one they hoped to achieve.
I am one of the lucky ones who live in a nice part of the country, have a decent private space and don't risk loosing my job or business. If I'm frustrated, I can only imagine how those who are not as lucky as I am are feeling.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2020, 09:52:18 am »
Trouble is that it mixes several sources of information, almost all unreliable. What's worrying is that there's some truth in there, but most people using FB will simply nod sagely and say 'I thought so."

It shouldn't really be in this topic, so I"m going to move it into scams.

For clarity, I'm referring to a post by Snowcap which I've now moved.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:25:15 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2020, 11:21:36 am »
There is an awful lot of truth and common sense in what you say Dave.   Take the Garden Centres as an example, I was at Tal Goed and Snowdonia Nurseries just after Mother's Day and they had thousands of pounds worth of plants on display and then the lockdown came.
Surely if you ban the cafes and non gardening bits they still could have remained open and operated safely as the shops are doing.   I do feel sorry for them because some of those plants can't be saved
As for the NWP  they are too thin on the ground and in Porthmadog for instance the second home owners and tourists are coming in in droves and that is not hearsay but from someone in the know
As for Politicians, group them with Bankers and Property Developers and don't trust them and you won't be disappointed

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2020, 11:42:43 am »
Forward thinking..........

Vending machines selling face masks and other hygiene products have begun to be installed across Poland, as the country prepares for tightened regulations requiring people to wear a face covering in public.
https://notesfrompoland.com/2020/04/10/vending-machines-selling-masks-appear-across-poland-as-face-covering-made-compulsory/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2020, 07:56:08 pm »
"On Friday, US president Donald Trump posted a series of tweets endorsing protests against social distancing measures in Minnesota, Michigan and Virginia. Over the weekend, more protests took place, including in Denver, Colorado, where nurses stood in the road to block drivers on the way to gatherings.

An investigation by the Washington Post found that the protests were promoted using Facebook groups set up by a small group of far-right, pro-gun activists with ties to the husband of education secretary Betsy DeVos. More than 95 per cent of Democrat and 70 per cent of Republican voters support stay-at-home measures, according to recent polling."

From New Scientist
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2020, 10:50:05 am »
New police rules on when you can leave home are slammed
"These new guidelines ... are hugely unhelpful in the efforts we are making in rural Britain to stop people travelling to our communities and spreading this virus."

The National Rural Crime Network (NRCN) – which represents more than 30 police and crime commissioners who oversee countryside areas – has called for an “urgent review” of the latest advice issued to officers by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing (CoP) which used examples compiled by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
cont    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-police-rules-you-can-18111125

We talked the other day about lockdown guidelines being misleading, I noticed this story in the Pioneer this morning......

Can I take a taxi under lockdown?
Taxis are still operating during the current lockdown. However, taxis may only be taken for the following “essential” purposes, as outlined by the government:

For travelling to and from work if you can’t do it from home

For taking one form of exercise a day, alone or with members of your household                &shake&

Shopping for basic necessities (though trips should be kept to a minimum)

Attending medical appointments or providing care for a vulnerable person

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18393310.rules-getting-taxi-lockdown-government-says/

Offline Dave

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »
I also noticed on TV last night the corvid Welsh language government advert ( obviously Welsh Assembly one) was categoric in saying no way can you drive to beauty spots for exercise. Contradicts the one the NPCC (National Police Chiefs' Council) decided to issue last week ( which has since been criticised by various other official bodies but no definitive ruling made or changed)

Who pays for the adverts on TV? They are constant, even have English and Welsh ones in the same break. I know you could pay £100K for a peak time 30 second advert 20 years ago, wonder what they pay now?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2020, 06:15:08 pm »
Who pays for the adverts seems irrelevant in the greater picture but the messages should be the same.        I agree with the message from the Welsh Government and think that the one by the NPCC is too premature and open to misinterpretation.
So the way it has been put means that drivers  who think that coming over the border from England to one of Wales' beauty spots for an exercise walk is ok are mistaken and will be issued with a fine by the North Wales Police.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2020, 06:55:03 pm »
This is the message from the North Wales Police today, but look at the link below it.     The message from the Wales Government is loud and clear and in my opinion the Police should have issued fines not tried to educate the idiots, they were well aware of what they were doing and perhaps they should have breathalised the driver too

“It is not regarded as essential travel to drive to the National Park and other beauty spots to walk or exercise. Neither is it essential travel to drive to second and holiday homes. Please stay in your primary residence. North Wales will still be here once the pandemic is over and we look forward to getting things back to normal and welcoming people back as soon as we can."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/you-couldnt-make-up-polices-18126835

Offline Hugo

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2020, 03:14:20 am »

Offline Dave

« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2020, 09:51:42 am »
Tough new second home owners lockdown on the way

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tough-new-second-home-owner-18124962

It would be interesting to see how many imported cases there have been as a result of people disobeying the lockdown rules. Gwynedd has overtaken Conwy according to the figures.
Second homes, now that's an interesting one anyway. Chequers,Windsor Castle, Balmoral, then there's all those other wealthy folk including health ministers and officials that have done a runner against their own instructions too!!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:04 pm »
Further action taken to deter people flouting lockdown rules at Conwy Nature Reserve.

PEOPLE have been spotted breaking lock down rules at a Conwy Nature Reserve.

Despite RSPB North Wales closing down all of their reserves, car parks, toilets and visitor centres on March 24 to follow Government guidelines, a number of people continue to visit the Conwy RSPB near the roundabout in Llandudno Junction.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18397033.action-taken-deter-people-flouting-lockdown-rules-conwy-nature-reserve/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:36 am »
Senior doctors from across Wales have written to the first minister calling on him to make using second homes illegal during the Covid-19 pandemic.

In the letter, the 15 clinicians warn non-essential travel to the homes is "highly likely" to increase the presence of coronavirus in rural areas.
Mark Drakeford has said ministers are considering strengthening regulations on people travelling to second homes.

On Monday, he said more details will be announced by the end of the week.
All non-essential travel, including to second homes, is illegal under the current rules.

cont   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52055456

Offline SteveH

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2020, 04:45:22 pm »
'Many' walkers spotted heading for North Wales beauty spot - but police were waiting for them

People are still flouting coronavirus lockdown rules and travelling to North Wales, according to a leading councillor.

Gwynedd council deputy leader Dafydd Meurig wrote on Twitter that people had been spotted heading to Aber Falls near Abergwyngregyn.

He thanked North Wales Police (NWP) for turning them back and urged people to stay away until it is safe to visit.

Cllr Meurig said: "Some people still visiting our area - many from Liverpool and beyond spotted walking to Aber Falls.

"Thank you @NWPolice for turning cars back today. Parked cars will be pulled in and fined on their way home.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/many-walkers-spotted-heading-north-18143071

The strict new lockdown rules in Wales explained
The Welsh Government has laid down a new set of regulations in a bid to stop coronavirus from spreading further

The statement was issued to inform residents of the new guidance and also to provide clarity for people about the lockdown measures and restrictions currently in place.

It means tighter regulations in some areas and relaxed measures in other instances.

One of the main groups affected by the new legislation are people with more than one property.

However, many other people are also bound to feel the impact of the new measures.

We've broken down the new rules in the list below.       cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/strict-new-lockdown-rules-wales-18143669

Offline SteveH

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2020, 03:22:07 pm »
People could have to choose 10 friends and family for 'lockdown bubble'
It would mean close family and friends, and couple who don't live together could see each other.

People meeting up with up to ten of their closest family and friends could be the next step of lockdown if rules are relaxed.

It is reported UK ministers are looking to ease the strict stay at home restrictions currently in place to allow small gatherings of people between no more than two households.
It would mean close family and friends, and couples who don't live together could see each other for the first time in five weeks.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-could-chose-10-friends-18149400