Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88170 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2020, 11:10:10 am »
Much would depend where to, what sort of trip etc. I wouldn't see a problem of a self catering holiday, the biggest threat would be the air travel in getting there unless you could drive. Then it's just a case of staying to the social distancing recommendations that are in place here.
I think that air travel, would be just the start of my worries, but my traveling days are over, and I do not envy those having to decide.

Talking of air travel, here is another point to ponder............

Eastern Europeans to be flown in to pick fruit and veg
Eastern European farm workers are being flown to the UK on charter flights to pick fruit and vegetable crops.
Air Charter Service has told the BBC that the first flight will land on Thursday in Stansted carrying 150 Romanian farm workers.

The firm told the BBC that the plane is the first of up to six set to operate between mid-April and the end of June.

Government department Defra said it was encouraging people across the UK "to help bring the harvest in".

British farmers recently warned that crops could be left to rot in the field because of a shortage of seasonal workers from Eastern Europe. Travel restrictions due to the coronavirus lockdown have meant most workers have stayed at home.

Several UK growers have launched a recruitment drive, calling for local workers to join the harvest to prevent millions of tonnes of fruit and vegetables going to waste. However, concerns remain that they won't be able to fulfil the demand on farms.
cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52293061

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2020, 12:38:20 pm »

I think that air travel, would be just the start of my worries, but my travelling days are over, and I do not envy those having to decide.

Talking of air travel, here is another point to ponder............

[b]Eastern Europeans to be flown in to pick fruit and veg[/b]
Eastern European farm workers are being flown to the UK on charter flights to pick fruit and vegetable crops.
Air Charter Service has told the BBC that the first flight will land on Thursday in Stansted carrying 150 Romanian farm workers

The firm told the BBC that the plane is the first of up to six set to operate between mid-April and the end of June.

Government department Defra said it was encouraging people across the UK "to help bring the harvest in".

British farmers recently warned that crops could be left to rot in the field because of a shortage of seasonal workers from Eastern Europe. Travel restrictions due to the coronavirus lockdown have meant most workers have stayed at home.

Several UK growers have launched a recruitment drive, calling for local workers to join the harvest to prevent millions of tonnes of fruit and vegetables going to waste. However, concerns remain that they won't be able to fulfil the demand on farms.
cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52293061

Steve that is an absolutely disgraceful thing that the Government is doing.       Are these Roumanians all going to be tested for Covid 19 before being allowed into the UK and as for not having enough UK workers available that's ridiculous.    How many UK people are unemployed at present and as the situation is serious what about conscripting the physically and healthy long term unemployed to do some work for a change.    It's mad, absolutely mad.     150 Roumanians coming in and how many will be going back I wonder
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 02:40:10 pm by Ian »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2020, 02:22:21 pm »
My first impression, was if they arrived with a temperature, they would isolate here, but that has the potential outcome of increasing the NHS work load by thousands.

"Are these Romanians all going to be tested for Covid 19 before being allowed into the UK"

"The firm has been working closely with Public Health England on safe transport arrangements and the group will be fully screened on arrival in the UK. Anyone found to have a temperature will be quarantined."      (To late by then)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »
Hugo: the problem is that very few UK natives would be prepared to do the work.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2020, 02:52:45 pm »
"The firm has been working closely with Public Health England on safe transport arrangements and the group will be fully screened on arrival in the UK. Anyone found to have a temperature will be quarantined."      (To late by then)

Unbelievable!      It sounds like a sketch from Yes Minister        &shake&

They can fully screen these Roumanians but can't fully screen our own NHS staff who put their lives on the line on a daily basis.
Why can't they screen a workforce of 150 UK people?       There must be enough volunteers, people on Furlough or able bodied long term unemployed who could do the job

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2020, 02:56:50 pm »
Hugo: the problem is that very few UK natives would be prepared to do the work.

Then make them do the job Ian.    In wartime they would have to and this must be the nearest that we have seen that is similar to it.
Too many people expect something for nothing and are prepared to live off the efforts of others.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2020, 04:39:22 pm »
Easter fines for lockdown rule breakers
North Wales Police issued 26 fines over the Easter Weekend to those breaking the rules during the coronavirus lockdown.

The fixed penalty notices were issued between April 10, and April 13 (Good Friday to Easter Monday) - according to the NPCC (National Police Chiefs' Council).
On March 26, the Government announced new public health regulations to reduce the spread of coronavirus. These measures entitled officers to issue individuals with £60 fines if they failed to comply after officers had engaged with them, explained the risks to public health and encouraged voluntary compliance.    ref Pioneer

Coronavirus fines: Lancashire Police issues most lockdown penalties
Deputy Chief Constable Sara Glen said Lancashire Police handed out the most with 380 due to "barbecues, parties and Blackpool beaches", followed by Thames Valley with 219 and Surrey with 205.

cont.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52301650

Offline mull

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2020, 05:34:47 am »
The trouble is Uk workers are not capable of doing this farm work. British farmers have not got the time to train them before the harvest is ready.

These people have been doing the job for years in the UK and are skilled at it so can get to work immediately.

You want your fruit and veg then by bringing these workers in is the only way to get it. Believe me.

Offline DVT

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2020, 09:54:47 am »
I know it's a little bit late, but just seen this in another publication!

An inch of snow – no one goes to work
Slight cold – everyone calls in sick
World Pandemic when we should all stay at home - everyone b***ers off up Snowdon.
The lack of common sense in this country is frightening.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:09 am »
I take your point Mull and you are probably correct but let's face it,  it is only unskilled manual labour nothing that can't be taught in the future, if time doesn't allow  for it this year

Let's turn it on its head and ask why there are so many foreign staff in the NHS?        Why can't the UK train its own people to do the work instead of making obstacles for them to become NHS  staff?
The answer is that it is cheaper to import nursing staff that have already been trained in their country of origin than it is to train staff for that job in the UK
With the people doing the harvesting I think that the principle is the same, it's cheaper than employing uk labour

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2020, 11:37:30 am »
The NHS argument is certainly correct.       
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2020, 12:37:47 pm »
Years ago the Nurses were trained on site and they lived in Nurses Homes.      The homes were all over N Wales apparently, not that I knew where they where         ;)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2020, 01:23:21 pm »
Isallt in Abbey Road was supposed to have been one.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2020, 02:09:29 pm »
Hasn't Isallt been turned into another type of accommodation in recent years?     

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2020, 06:01:23 pm »
yes....and we won't go down that road !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.