Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575504 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »
Calling Charlie Lynch a Hotel Operator is like calling a Big Issue Seller a Newsagent.  :o  He runs the CFL Investment Co. Ltd and owns a lot of property around the area, most notable being the derelict church hall in the centre of Rhos On Sea and the 31 bedroom Rothesay 'Hotel' on Colwyn Bay promenade that houses exclusively DSS claimants. Hmmm...31 bedrooms at over a hundred quid a week each from the taxpayer = nice little earner. Don't blame him, he's a businessman...and a very good one too. But I'd advise keeping a very close eye on developments, Jason. Would change of use be needed if the Deganwy Castle was lined up to house DSS?

Welcome by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline tolly

• To be the part....!
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2010, 12:51:19 am »
Well,i agree with most of the above,it is sad when a place is left to the elements,especially with it's history....... $wales

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2010, 01:05:39 am »
WOW...  if being on the dole these days gets you a pad overlooking the Conwy Estuary, with views overlooking the Marina ..and directly to a medieval castle,  where do I sign up?   

What's the point in any of us working, buying property or bettering ourselves.

Tell that Big Issue seller to throw those mags in the bin .... The Deganwy Castle is his next home ... whoo hoo !!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2010, 08:12:38 am »
What's the point in any of us working, buying property or bettering ourselves

Presumably so you don't have to live alongside the 99 other DSS families.

Again, we come down to the legislation, which dictates we can't leave people to die on the street simply because they can't afford to buy into the extortionately over-priced private housing market.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2010, 10:22:58 am »
What's the point in any of us working, buying property or bettering ourselves

Presumably so you don't have to live alongside the 99 other DSS families.

Again, we come down to the legislation, which dictates we can't leave people to die on the street simply because they can't afford to buy into the extortionately over-priced private housing market.

Now that we know that Mr Lynch is interested in the Deganwy Castle Hotel it seems that the buiding will be used for the DSS or developed into apartments.  With regard to the statement that we can't leave people to die on the streets I completely agree with that. but how many of these people at the Rothesay are from the streets of North Wales?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:35 am »
but how many of these people at the Rothesay are from the streets of North Wales?

Indeed, but that's the problem.  Again, because of the legislation the council has to house those who declare themselves homeless. So - again - what do we do?

Also, I'm not entirely sure of the relevance as to where they originate.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:01:11 pm by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »
Every town  has its own problem with available housing needs and the Social Services quite rightly have a legal and a moral responsibility to deal with the problem irrespective of whether the person has deliberately made themself homeless or are on long term benefit.
Colwyn Bay's problems were no different to any other town but the Houses of Multiple Occupation, bedsits in other words have grown considerably to the extent that CCBC has acknowledged that there are too many in the area.
As has been pointed out, these owners of HMO's are just in business to make money and are not concerned who foots the bill as long as the rent is paid. 
The relevance of my point is that the Bay already has a problem with bedsits but some owners of HMO's are allegedly  actually  advertising in the Inner city newspapers offering their accomodation to the unemployed.  This is in contravention of the Social Service regulations and just adds to the existing social problems and degeneration in the local area

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »
In fact, I agree with you. The big question, however, is what we do about it. In the long run, it's a UK-wide problem, and one that goes to the root of the family structure. I suspect we're going to have to do something drastic about parenting before the problem eases.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2010, 05:31:19 pm »
I haven't got an answer Ian, but you are right about the family structure being at the root of it.    With so much PC and Human Rights issues the odds are stacked against anything drastic being done but it's about time the rights of the majority were listened to for once.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2010, 08:51:53 pm »
But I'd advise keeping a very close eye on developments, Jason. Would change of use be needed if the Deganwy Castle was lined up to house DSS?

Thanks Dave and other contributors for the information, thoughts and advice. I am keeping a close eye on things and have already started discussions with officers of the Council. The hotel would not need change of use if it was to house emergency short term cases. If it was to become a hostel it would need planning (i understand). It is at this point all hyperthetical and until we have conformation is it a case of keeping a watching brief.
There are developments with the Housing services to find alternative solutions to using Hotel etc. 2 departments and teams are being brought together to formulate a combined approach across the authority.

We can not choose who buys the Hotel, what I can do is welcome the new owner (whether it be Mr Lynch or someone else) and work with them in the best interests of Deganwy.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »
Let's all hope that whoever buys it decides to take full advantage of its great position and reopen it as a hotel, fully refurbished!  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2010, 03:47:36 pm »
I remember Charlie Lynch stating in the NWWN that he was buying up all the property on that block and would turn them into apartments. Don't know what happened after that because Charter Homes bought the property on either side of The Toad and they built apartments there.
It's difficult enough for Hoteliers at the present moment and if Dennis Chin couldn't make a go of it after all the effort he has put in then it will require some one who is there for the duration and is prepared to invest a lot of money into the project.
I don't think that Mr Lynch fits that criteria so I would expect DSS bedsits or apartments to be there if he does purchase the property.  I hope that that doesn't happen and I  am proved wrong

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »
I don't know the fella, this Lynch. but if I was going to develope the site I'd make it into Luxury Apartments, more money, less objection, better suited to the area. Obviously I hope it remains a hotel but I think Hugo has a point If Dennis Chin can't do it, begs the question, is it viable?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
I don't know the fella, this Lynch. but if I was going to develope the site I'd make it into Luxury Apartments, more money, less objection, better suited to the area. Obviously I hope it remains a hotel but I think Hugo has a point If Dennis Chin can't do it, begs the question, is it viable?
Definitely, but it needs investment. When I last went in there a couple of years ago, it didn't look like it had been touched since the 1970s. People expect more these days and aren't prepared to put up with low standards. A fantastic location for a Hotel but needs a big revamp.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
A fantastic location for a Hotel but needs a big revamp.

Same goes for the Clarence unfortunatly. Do you think the fully maintainable leases given by Mostyn Estates cause the demise of some of Llandudnos properties. Everyone trying to move on before the delapidation orders rise beyond the lease price. Shame
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley