Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 111510 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »
   I never for one moment thought that anyone would remember this incedent. Indeed my memory of it is very sketchy. Cambrian obviously knows much more, or, Cambrian, is it just that you have read it up in the old papers? If so, do you have a particular interest?    Since I read your post I have tried hard to remember the boys name.  The surname Reader or Rhyder or something like that comes to mind, but I may be completely off track. Mike

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2012, 09:42:38 am »
No great mystery.  I was researching something entirely different a few years ago and came across the story in the paper I was looking at - it was covered in some detail.  It seemed such an unusual tale I made a brief note at the time - which jogged my memory when you raised it Mike. I think you can access the newspaper on roll at either Llandudno Library or the Archives - full details of all involved and the events were given.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2012, 01:36:49 pm »
Another thing is the number that claimed to have garages for their clients' cars.  The Grand is the most obvious, claiming 50, but others also claim 50 and 60 car garages.  Where were these?  And until I started on the 1955 de I didn't know we had a Dorchester.

The Grand's Garage which used to take up to 60 Cars was sold off for redevelopment and is now Garth Court on Abbey Road. The St. George's Garage was pulled down in favour of an open car park as was the Merrion's on Ty Isa Road and I think the only 2 remaining Garages are behind the Elsinore in Somerset Street and the St. Kilda's on Bodafon Street.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

Re: llandudno lifeboat
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
this happens all the time it  is still happening in 2012, looking in the paper some some hotel owners  said they don,t want there view obstructed by  a building. what a selfish out look .

The Paper as usual got it WRONG. It was never about the loss of a view, that story came from the supporters of the RNLI. We as Hotelier’s objected to the sighting of an Emergency Service by RNLI Trading Company Ltd., at the centre of the Pedestrian Focal Point on the Promenade. To suggest anything else is nothing short of Scurrilous  $angry$

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2012, 10:26:40 pm »
my father said many years ago never belive the papers  all the time. iam very sorry for qouting the local paper i thought it was true .are their any developments on resiting the  new station.in future i shall ask on here many thanks. romanjohn.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »
Hi Romanjohn, the latest proposal I've heard about is to site a new station between the paddling pool and the Little Orme

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »
I heard that the station was to be reduced in size and trains between the Junction and Llandudno replaced by trams running along the old train route.  With tram stops at regular intervals.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2012, 08:31:18 am »
Some more hotel adverts from 1955:

[smg id=2973]

[smg id=2998]

[smg id=2990]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2012, 09:02:50 am »
The last is a superb example of the Art Deco movement, too; that's one that should be preserved. The old cinema in Llanrwst was of a similar style.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2012, 10:40:32 am »
     Correct. But it didnt stop the Council from knocking it down  Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2012, 11:13:13 am »
Sadly, no.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2012, 11:42:30 am »
Villa Marina is listed by Cadw.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:36 pm »
The last is a superb example of the Art Deco movement, too; that's one that should be preserved. The old cinema in Llanrwst was of a similar style.

Went past the other day and was surprised that it was beginning to show signs of wear from the last restoration.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »

There is a similar, but smaller, private house in the same Art Deco style near the roundabout in Penryhn Bay, (close to the post office, en route to the rear of Rhos Golf Club)

The Villa Marina though is currently sporting the most beautiful and massive Xmas tree in its lower lounge, which extends about 16ft maybe, surpassing the mezzanine floor above.  VV
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:47 am »
Villa Marina is listed by Cadw.

But only Grade II...